1.    #1  
    I listened to the beginning of the latest Handspring earnings call at the suggestion of SeldomVisitor and found much more optimistic availability information regarding the GSM version than has been discussed here lately. I transcribed what what Donna Dubinsky said:
    On the GSM front, we expect the GSM Treo 600 to be available shortly on our handspring.com web site with support from AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile. In addition, we expect that these GSM network operators will be announcing different levels of direct support for the product over the coming months. Finally, we expect to offer a standardized, or non-carrier-specific, version of our GSM product on our web site by the end of the month.
    Note that they are seperating direct support from the carriers from just "support". Normal "support" is coming "shortly" and units will be sold on the HS web site. The "direct support" will happen in the coming months.

The way I see the chronology is:

1) Carrier-supported models on handspring.com (shortly)
    2) Unlocked GSM model bye the end of the month.
    3) Direct support from carriers at their liesure, in the coming months.

I think this should mean that we may very well be able to buy a T-Mobile phone from handspring.com way before it's available from T-Mobile itself.
  2.    #2  
    Other good info from Donna:

- HS will start shipping unlocked GSM model (standard GSM model) to European distributors next week.

- Starting next week, European customers will be able to buy the standard GSM model from treostore.com, which is a website HS created with a partner.
  3.    #3  
    Donna also says:
    We've created an upgrade program for owners of our previous Treo Communicators, the Treo 180, 270 and 300. Full details are available on our website, but in summary, this program allows owners of Treo communicators to purchase a Treo 600 at the reduced price of $399 without purchasing or extending a service plan. We believe that the early adoptor Treo owners will become a core advocate group for the new product and we want to enable them to upgrade by offering them this attractive program.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Originally posted by silverado
    Other good info from Donna:

- HS will start shipping unlocked GSM model (standard GSM model) to European distributors next week.

- Starting next week, European customers will be able to buy the standard GSM model from treostore.com, which is a website HS created with a partner.
    Problem is, treostore.com wont give any discount to current owners of a treo, atleast thats the email reply i got from them today.

Although its great news that the unlocked version aint as fare away as most of us thought

/Andreas
    Anybody know of Donna Dubinsky or Jeff Hawkins' email? I plan to write either or both of them. It seems the local distributor in the Philippines has no plan to reward its loyal Treo users that (in Donna's words):
    "allow owners of Treo communicators to purchase a Treo 600 at the reduced price of $399 without purchasing or extending a service plan. We believe that the early adoptor Treo owners will become a core advocate group for the new product and we want to enable them to upgrade by offering them this attractive program."
    Bummer!!!

jojo c
    It's not suprising to me that Handspring will offer the device for T-Mobile before T-Mobile will. (Same with Cingular and ATT) Anyone who dealt with the Sidekick would find this fits that pattern. T-Mobile's stores were the last to have it. Amazon offered the SK before T-Mobile stores did. Most T-Mobile resellers STILL don't have the Sidekick over a year later.
  7. Cis
    Just got this mail from Treostore

"thanks for booking Treo 600,
    In the next days we will start shipping, giving priority to those who booked it in advance, like you did.
    Due to the high number of requests, we ask you, if you are still interested, to confirm your reservation before October 15 to keep your shipping priority."

They are asking 899.00, I'll wait and see what happens on HS website.
    Originally posted by Cis

They are asking 899.00, I'll wait and see what happens on HS website.

!!!!

That's over 1000 USD. A bit steep for my blood, unlocked or not...

Hopefully the Handspring.com price will be more reasonable (I'm not a current Treo owner, so no discount for me).
    Originally posted by silverado
    Donna also says:

We've created an upgrade program for owners of our previous Treo Communicators, the Treo 180, 270 and 300. Full details are available on our website, but in summary, this program allows owners of Treo communicators to purchase a Treo 600 at the reduced price of $399 without purchasing or extending a service plan.
    it is not clear whether the upgrade program will be available for unlocked GSM Treo or not.

this is important for lots of us!
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    treostore seems to be a regional distributor for handspring (e.g. italy) with the right to use handspring branding (e.g. they use handspring.it domain).

anyway, 899 is a rip-off, some other store are offering them already unlocked for about 550 (http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...html&order_id=!ORDERID!)

i think they want to use the advantage of being named by handspring as "official dealer" on their website... they also emailed me, that treostore will NOT offer any discount for current treo owners..

markus
    sounds interesting! :-)

but what about:

GSM compatibility with European standards (900Mhz)?
    charger connector for Italian (for example) country (220v)?
    shipment and taxes?

(I'm going to ask in a dedicated thread)
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro