1.    #1  
    I'd like to repeat what gfunkmagic said in another thread about voice vs data with Sprint, because it's exactly right.

[Note: The information on Handspring's site that seems to contradict this is WRONG regarding the Treo 600's use with Sprint's network. Only on GSM/GPRS systems will the Treo 600 put a data session "on hold" during a voice call.]

The data vs. voice issue is a NETWORK issue, not a phone issue. With Sprint's 1xRTT system, all incoming calls go directly to voice mail if data is actively being transmitted to/from the device. You can tell that data is "active" when the arrows in the signal strength indicator are green. Since this is not a phone or software issue, there is NO software or phone that can get around this "feature". Arguably, this was a bad design decision, but that's the way things are until Sprint's network is upgraded.

(The word "Vision" is used on these boards to mean a number of different things (a service plan, a data network, etc...), so I'd avoid using it completely in this context.)

So here's how to interpret the signal strength indicator vis a vis data:

No Arrows: There's no data connection (voice calls go through).

Grey Arrows: There is a data connection, but it is INACTIVE at this moment (voice calls go through, but, depending on the software you're using, data usage could occur "in the background", i.e. when you're not looking, at which point your voice calls will be sent directly to voice mail, as below)

Green Arrows: There is a data connection and it is ACTIVE (voice calls are sent directly to voice mail).

The only way to ENSURE that you'll get all your voice calls is to never use data! However, if voice calls are a pressing concern, then disconnecting from the data network after using it (using commands from within Blazer or other software packages, or by using the Network Prefs) is the way to go.

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 10/10/2003 at 12:39 PM.
    Good clarification, thanks. Coming from a GSM network back to Sprint for data, this is definiltey good to know.
    Originally posted by mblank
    The only way to ENSURE that you'll get all your voice calls is to never use data! However, if voice calls are a pressing concern, then disconnecting from the data network after using it (using commands from within Blazer or other software packages, or by using the Network Prefs) is the way to go.
    So, are you stating that the following FAQ from Handspring is not accurate for the Treo 600 when used with Sprint?

If you are in the middle of a data session and receive a voice call, you receive an alert that allows you the option to either answer the call or send it to voice mail. If you are in the middle of accessing a web page and you choose to answer the call, the browser will pause while you're on the phone and immediately continue the page load after you've finished your phone call.
    That's correct. That information is wrong when applied to the Sprint 600.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Q:What happens if I get a voice call while I'm accessing the Treo 600 data features (email, web browsing)?

A:If you are in the middle of a data session and receive a voice call, you receive an alert that allows you the option to either answer the call or send it to voice mail. If you are in the middle of accessing a web page and you choose to answer the call, the browser will pause while you're on the phone and immediately continue the page load after you've finished your phone call.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a correct answer for the GSM model.

-DT