1.    #1  
    Hello, I'm also awaiting shipment on my Treo 600, but with the news...

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru..._Coming_Monday

...about the h4355 being announced on Monday for $500, it certainly is very attractive for those who must do a lot of work on a handheld computer connected to a network either by Bluetooth or wi-fi.

Looks like HP has chosen to "embrace and extend" the Treo 600 design to the PPC platform. I realize this isn't a phone, but I'd rather have the wi-fi and BT now, than having to wait for a WANDA device.
    That does look like an attractive option. It would reduce the number of things to carry from three (phone, PDA, thumbboard) to two (phone and PDA).

I'm very happy with my Treo, but I think that the h4355 and a T608 would also be a great option. More power but also more bulk, so it depends on personal preferences.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by wombat2
    I think that the h4355 and a T608 would also be a great option.
    I also like that combo, and you're right, it is a matter of weighing bulk versus your needs. All these new devices put Microsoft's Smartphones further behind. You'd think with all their money they could have released a smartphone before HS.

I'm guessing PalmOne will come up with something like the h4355 for the new Treo family, merging the T/C with the Treo.
  4. purpleX
    Not likely, the T|C sale is pretty slow.
    I refer you to the forum "The Top Review". Further I did not read anywhere within that article where it states that those models have integrated phones.

If that's the case then there not even in the same ballpark as the Treo and therefore should never had be posted anywhere on TREOCENTRAL. The Treo IS the KILLER.

Amen.
    Remember: You're a geek, normal people don't think like you!
    Originally posted by Guy_McG

Looks like HP has chosen to "embrace and extend" the Treo 600 design to the PPC platform. I realize this isn't a phone, but I'd rather have the wi-fi and BT now, than having to wait for a WANDA device.
    The Wanda doesn't have a thumbboard...Thus, if you're looking for a device with builtin keyboard, the Wanda is not the one...

Also, Sierra just announced their new Voq M$ Smartphone with an integrated thumbboard. However, it won't have BT or wifi...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    They're about to release the T608? Is Sprint getting BT fever?

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/009349.php#009349
    Well the T608 is not out, and I have not seen any proof other than rumors that it will ever be released by Spint. Without a BT phone, the HP unit has know way to be used as a phone or on a phone network (unless you can get great wi-fi and VoIP), and the T608 is the only near term hope for Sprint to have a BT phone.

The T608 weighs over half what a Treo weighs and the HP unit is a couple of oz more too. So the combined weight of the solution you are proposing is over 1.5 times weight and probably double the size of the Treo 600 (HP looks pretty big and T608 is at least half the size of the Treo).

Plus unless HP and MS have done something about how PPC interfaces with a thumboard then it won't be as good as the PalmOS thumbboard integration. All reviewers noted that the G1000 implementation was a kluge and the PPC version they were using was never ment for a thumboard.

So if your willing to carry around multiple devices with the large increase in weigt and volume, this would be a good solution.

So far the only applications that I have seen where a PPC is much better than a Palm device is in viewing the Internet, Streaming, and Navagation software. The big advantage for both was the screen size of the PPC and the media player.
    There are various other things that you can do with PPC that are hard/impossible with a Palm, such as basic photo editing, or running full-blown DOS (and thus any DOS app).

However, I was thinking about this as I walked down the hall at work to get a soda. With my Treo in my pocket, I have some very robust online and multimedia capabilities with me at all times, without even having to think about it. With the iPAQ/T608 combo, would I really be carrying the phone and the PDA with me en route to the break room?

It sounds like a frivolous example (I'm not likely to need to check e-mail from the Pepsi machine), but it's sort of a lifestyle thing. Last night, I IMed and sent a couple of snapshots from my local bar, just dorking around. I walked there wearing a pullover shirt and no jacket, with the Treo in my pocket. To do those types of things with the iPAQ/T608, I'd have had to find a way to either fit two things in my pants pockets, or wear a jacket, or carry a bag. (The iPAQ doesn't have a camera, but that's counterbalanced by its overall power, screen size and resolution, etc.)

I honestly do feel that both are great solutions, depending how they'll be used. That said, I love the Treo because it's such a natural part of your life. You don't fully appreciate this until you have one - I didn't. I used to own an iPAQ 5455 and I was about to buy a 5555 until my brother talked me into trying a Treo 300. Now I'm hooked, and I find that the difference in horsepower doesn't matter much to me, as it's better to have something you can use 98% of the time even if it's not quite as "powerful", as to have something you can use 50% of the time that is more "powerful".
  10.    #10  
    Thanks, Inic, I forgot about how the Hitachi G1000 thumbboard isn't integrated well with the PPC OS.

I was going to pick up the Tungsten C also because I do need Wi-Fi for work, and I can't wait for the SDIO wi-fi card for the 600. So, I'll be carrying these two devices anyway.
    This is my resoning exactly. I carry a phone around all the time, and when I did use my PDA religiously, I wouldn't carry it without my briefcase or sometimes with a jacket with a lot of pockets. I started carrying the PDA less and less as the inconvinience grew more. I am looking at the Treo 600 as a solution that can do this and in a form factor not much larger than a lot of phones. I was ready to get a G1000 until I saw it in person and realized that if I got one I would probably not have a phone on me as often due to the size of the unit. The HP unit doesn't look much smaller than the G1000 in those pictures. Treo 300 while smaller was too wide for me to hold comfortably.

I think a 144 MHz processor running a more efficient OS will be almost as fast as a 400 MHz PPC since the OS is more bloated. The OS and applications on the OS determines how fast a machine will run on a given processor. This is why a Linux box will smoke a comparable hardware MS box any day because the OS is much more efficient.
  12. purpleX
    I think a 144 MHz processor running a more efficient OS will be almost as fast as a 400 MHz PPC since the OS is more bloated. The OS and applications on the OS determines how fast a machine will run on a given processor
    actually the problem is POS cannot utilize all the available power. It has no high end applications that will demand the load save a few new release game. All productivity apps haven't progressed much since the day of 'Dragonball'.

For eg. mp3 audio recorder, fax receiver, graphic apps with layering, bird eye view GPS, emulators, etc... Even the supposedly prime reason of OS 5.0 release, multimedia capability is still very much limited to Kinoma and mp3 with half broken mmplayer and realplayer.

The much tauted GUI simplicity only goes so far before it turns into underfeatured simpletons that need to be patched every which way. Observe T|T3 GUI. It's a mess now. with myriads icons and pop up menus rivaling windows desktop. That's the price of having UI designed for Dragonball and 160 by 160 screen being migrated to ARM powered device.
    Interesting link at the bottom of the Sierra Wireless link:

Smart Phone Version of Palm OS 5 Coming Next Year , dated September 24 2003. Isn't the Treo 600 running OS 5? I'm confused.

Back on topic, it will be interesting to see how the keyboard-integrated iPaq does in the market as that has been one thing missing in the PPC arena. I know a few people that have either moved back to Palm or stuck with Palm because of their devices with integrated keyboards.

And that Sierra Wireless phone is very bulky looking, and I'm not sure about the flip-out portion of the keyboard, but anything would be an improvement over the terribly-designed Hitachi G1000.
  14. purpleX
    It will be as gloriously dead as Treo 90. The 4355 is created for PHB who sees blackberry as some sort of devine revelation. But the rest of PPC crowd think it's utterly dubious. It's the same story as G1000. verybody in PPC scene pretty much chuckle when seeing G1000. XDAII is the front runner of the scene, followed by now old SGH i700.
    Originally posted by rant
    Interesting link at the bottom of the Sierra Wireless link:

Smart Phone Version of Palm OS 5 Coming Next Year , dated September 24 2003. Isn't the Treo 600 running OS 5? I'm confused.
    The speculation is the Palm OS5 Phone OS will be the same OS (or remarkably similar) used on the current treo, and since palm will own the treo and the code, they will make it available to others.
    A couple points...

MS integrated better keyboard (and thumbboard) support into PPC 2003. Hitachi (or the carriers) had already committed to PPC 2002 by the time PPC 2003 was ready and weren't going to go through a retesting. So, this new iPaq should be interesting. However, while I'm sure you can do a lot of neat things with just the keyboard, I don't believe the D-Pad has been integrated into more parts of the OS (as an interesting side-note, it's interesting how poorly integrated the D-Pad is on the PPC, considering how long all PPCs have had them - it's pretty much just a glorified page up/down button).

purpleX, where do you get your info about the Tungsten C selling poorly? Normally, I wouldn't think that the Tungsten C was a huge success for palmOne, but the fact that they didn't reduce the price when the TT3 came out suggests to me that they may be happy with the sales volume at its current price.

Personally, I'd like to play with a h4350 up close, but I'm skeptical of how well a thumbboard will work on a portrait-mode device. I think Sony's on the right track with their UX-series, but it's too expensive and the screen is too small for my liking.

I'm thinking of giving the PPC OS a go again, simply because I'd like to do some more powerful things and the Palm developers haven't caught up yet. There are several GPS options and several image editing options available for the PPC. I hate to do it, too, because I hate much about the OS and the core PIM apps stink (not to mention the fact that alarms don't even work). Palm OS developers will catch up, it's just a matter of time, but if you want/need some of these types of applications today, you don't have much choice.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  17. purpleX
    It could be that they have no reason to drop the T|C price. There is no other Palm device capable of doing WiFi, next one up is NX and it cost $1-200 more to do WiFi. I have the feeling they think WiFi is a novelty, instead of marketshare fight to maintain lead. So naturally they hink T|C as a luxury high end model.

We'll see how long T|C will last once Dell is pushing similar ware for $325. It still a rumor price tho'.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    It could be that they have no reason to drop the T|C price. There is no other Palm device capable of doing WiFi, next one up is NX and it cost $1-200 more to do WiFi. I have the feeling they think WiFi is a novelty, instead of marketshare fight to maintain lead. So naturally they hink T|C as a luxury high end model.

We'll see how long T|C will last once Dell is pushing similar ware for $325. It still a rumor price tho'.
    So basically you dont' have info back up your FUD and you're just making stuff up! As usual...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  19. purpleX
    okay T|C is a big seller... wooo... !