Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Like most others here, I've been drooling over the T600 for months, but when my T300's flip-lid cracked a couple of months ago, I needed a new phone. Lo and behold, there was the Samsung i500. I had no choice but to get it.

Especially with the SGH-i500 being delayed indefinitely, I think these 2 phones are the 2 sexiest smartphones on the market today. Sure, they may lack some of the Pocket PC bells and whistles, but their size more than makes up for it in my book.

So, now I have my i500 here, and I just got my T600 yesterday, and I need to get rid of one or my wife will kill me. Here are some quick thoughts on how they compare. If anyone else has used both, please provide feedback, since I really don't know which one I'll keep yet.

Form Factor
    The i500 wins out here. It's smaller, clamshell design makes it much easier to carry and much less obtrusive in your pocket. It's so light, you really don't even know you're carrying it. Plus, the screen is protected when closed. When opened, the i500 is actually a little longer than the T600, but not by much, and it's much lighter. The only downside I see for the i5 here is that there's no external caller ID, so you need to flip it open to see who's calling.

Screen
    The T6 edges out the i5 here. The T6's screen is larger and brighter, but although they're both basically the same resolution, the i5 has 64k colors, as opposed to the 4k(or whatever it is) for the T6. Although images and movies aren't quite as crisp on the T6, the size and brightness of the screen give it the edge. Neither is high resolution, but both are adequate.

Input methods
    I think this is a push. The i5 has a small grafitti area, and you can use the number pad for text input. The T6 has a keyboard, which I'm still getting used to, and you can use a third party grafitti tool, like Jot, to write on the screen. Too bad they didn't bundle one, since I find myself using grafitti often. Even though everyone talks about only needing one hand to use the majority of the T6's applications, which is true, the same pretty much goes for the i5 too. I can do most things with one hand on it.

Interface
    The T6 wins here. Going back to the T300, Handspring has always had the best phone/PDA integration I've ever seen. The quick dial keys are the best, and the overall navigation is second to none. the i5 is decent here, but it's just much easier to use the T6. Also, I don't see too much of a difference between Palm OS 4.2 and 5.2 here, so that's not a deciding factor for me.

Phone
    The i5 is the winner here. While digital reception seems pretty equal between the 2, and it seems like I can access the web faster on the T6, the i5's analog roam capability makes it the clear winner. I don't understand why Handspring didn't include analog on this.

Battery Life
    The i5 has a slight edge here. Although the T6 has better battery life, the i5 has 2 batteries, and you can swap them at any time.

Expansion
    the T6 is the clear winner here. No expansion capabilities are on the i5, and the T6 has the SSD slot, which can be used for memory and, eventually BT.

Extras
    The T6 wins here. While the camera is low resolution and pretty gimmeky, it works fine for what it is. The T6 also can download ringtones and screensavers, which is not an option on the i5. The T6 will also support SMS.

Well, that's all I can think of. I'm really not sure which one I'll keep, since it's a pretty close comparison. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
    Am I the only one that didn't realize the Treo600 doesn't come with Grafitti? DUH!!!!!!!! Has anyone tried JOT from CIC on their T600 yet?
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I starting using Jot on the T6 yesterday, and it seems to work great. It's just too bad we have to pay for it. Handspring should have bundled it with the device, since many people like to use the stylus for input.
    If you upgraded from the Treo 300, you should still have your free copy of ReccoEcho from handspring...?
    davsug,

I'm trying to decide between the same two phones as yourself. I have always used clamshell phones (Qualcomm Qphone, Startac, v60..) and always carry my phone in the front left pocket too. Therefore, form factor is very important. I compared the two phones at a Sprint store yesterday, and the I5 was a little bit thicker than the T600. They were basically the same width, but the T600, as you know, is about an inch longer. The T600 felt ok in my pocket. I am leaning towards the T600 because of the upgraded OS and the keyboard. But, I guess, I'm trying to think of the reasons for having a keyboard. I guess it would be nice to be able to type faster than graffiti. But, once again it's a bigger phone.

1) Have you noticed a speed difference in browsing between the I5 and T6? I know the T6 browser handles javascript, does the I5? What about speed difference in the overall use since the I5 has a dragonball processor?

2) I am wondering if the T6 screen would be prone to scratches, etc. In addition, I wonder how robust it would be to drops. I've dropped my V60 phone a dozen times, and it still works. Will the T6 or I5 be as robust?

Overall, when looking at the two phones, it seems like the form factor is the critical deciding factor. I'm just not sure that the T6 is small enough. Have you tried carried the T6 around for awhile?

decisions...
    The Treo600 is rather large for a shirt pocket, and a little heavy too, but it does fit. The slip case that ships with the Treo is not optimal; I ordered the "side carry" case, which I hope will work well. Overall, I am quite pleased with the unit. FWIW, I switched from a Sanyo 6000, which is about the smallest lightest and thinnest phone out there.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Fikse
    If you upgraded from the Treo 300, you should still have your free copy of ReccoEcho from handspring...?
    I was hoping for that. Rechoecho doesn't support the T600. I think it's a compatibility issue with OS5.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gene

1) Have you noticed a speed difference in browsing between the I5 and T6? I know the T6 browser handles javascript, does the I5? What about speed difference in the overall use since the I5 has a dragonball processor?

Web browing is definitely faster on the T6. Not sure about the Java comparison, but you cen tell the difference in speed. Also, the overall speed is faster with the ARM chip.

2) I am wondering if the T6 screen would be prone to scratches, etc. In addition, I wonder how robust it would be to drops. I've dropped my V60 phone a dozen times, and it still works. Will the T6 or I5 be as robust?

I have this fear too. I'm waiting for a screen protector to be released, which will negate the scratch issue. As far as general robustness, the jury's still out. I can also be kind of klutzy with my gadgets, and I dropped the i5 once or twice without incident. The T6 is heavier, and I'm not sure how it will handle similar drops. I'm hoping to not find outm though.

Overall, when looking at the two phones, it seems like the form factor is the critical deciding factor. I'm just not sure that the T6 is small enough. Have you tried carried the T6 around for awhile?

decisions...
    I've carried the T6 around for about a day. It's bigger and heavier, but not too big and heavy. I'll let you know what I think after a few days.
    Originally posted by Dalai Lama
    Am I the only one that didn't realize the Treo600 doesn't come with Grafitti? DUH!!!!!!!! Has anyone tried JOT from CIC on their T600 yet?
    HUH? Doesn't G2 offer the option of entering input anywhere on the screen? Can someone please confirm this on the Treo600?...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

HUH? Doesn't G2 offer the option of entering input anywhere on the screen? Can someone please confirm this on the Treo600?...
    Yes, but the T6 doesn't come with G2, or any other handwriting recognition software.

Bought JOT and have been experimenting with it on T600. It gives you the option to use JOT or Grafitti 2. However, switching to G2 causes soft reset and it doesn't seem to work at all. Recognition with JOT is poor at best, but no doubt this is due in part to my stage of experience with it.
    I thought G2 was standard on OS 5.2! I'm quite surprised that it is not on the Treo 600!
    When I got my 300 a year or so ago, I left Jot on it, at the beginning. I ended up taking it off a few months into using the 300, since I literally never ended up using it. And I had been a loyal Graffiti user for many many years. So - I have no need to have any Jot/Graffiti/RecoEcho hwr program on the 600.

I would betcha that a lot of folks will end up doing the same - and I would have never thought that I would have ended up taking Jot off my 300. Man, I was committed to Jot and thought 'there's no way I can live without this' - but, as time went on, I just never used it. The thumbboard was just so much faster, in all circumstances. I know - I hear the doubters now, saying 'well that's fine for you, dude, but I GOTTA have my Jot'. I was right there with you, and thought the same thing. Time will tell...
    You know, maybe they left jot out for a reason.

When I first got my T300, I used the stylus for input. After a while, I began to question if I needed a pda with a thumbboard.

Then one day my desktop crashed, and I began to use my T300 for much longer emails. Prior to this, I used my pocketop IR keyboard, but it became cumbersome trying to find a flat place to type.

So I began to use the thumboard for much more than I had done so previously.

The result? I will NEVER have a device without one!

I can type on it fairly quickly with even one hand now.

I think HS wants people who are not "power graffiti users" to become addicted to the speed, accuracy, and convenience of a built in thumboard. Since they are the only company really committed to it (and now Palm, with the Treo line) that means those potential customers will come back to them first with repeat business when they are upgrading in the future.

Honestly, when I think thumboard, I think Treo and Blackberry. And unless push email is a necessity for you (not even an issue anymore with the 600's software support), the Treo is the clear winner on many different fronts.

And as always, this post was done through Xiino and my Treo 300 (soon to be 600).
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried Graffiti Anywhere on the T600. I used it on my Sony Clie TG-50 and T270 and it worked well. t's freeware and can be found HERE .
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    I, too had the i500 for the last 5 weeks or so - and also because of the urgency of a broken T300. The i500 brought me back to the pre-T300 days of the old Kyocera 6035, albeit a million times smaller (wow, 3 model numbers in one sentence!) I liked the tiny flip but agree with the reviewer that the lack of external called ID was an engineering mistake. And, needless to say, as a very heavy e-mail user, I can't get close to the speed of QWERTY input with graffiti. I know I must be a total wuss, but massive amounts of e-mail kills my wrist.

Lastly, I would have bet that I would have never used the camera and that anyone who did was odd. Yesterday alone I took four pictures just as a joke, culminating with one of Don King as he randomly popped into a Washington, DC French restaurant. While the quality was predictably lousy (all you could really make out was Don King's shirt and his signature white hair), it was actually kind of cool.

Anyway, I just sold the i500 on eBay for exactly what I paid for it and love the T600.
    There is usually no need for Graffiti with my 270 but I use it occasionally. First, I use it when I take my stylus out! If I need to take the stylus out for some reason, I don't want to use the keyboard anymore. It's a lot more natural to use only the stylus when you are already holding it in your hand. They probably figured that with the T600, since people will take out the stylus far less frequently, that they should just not include G2.

I also use it in situations when I don't want to look down at the Treo while I'm taking notes.

I think it is rediculous to have a touch screen only for tapping. I hope they issue a patch with Graffiti 2 soon!!!
    Originally posted by silverado
    I think it is rediculous to have a touch screen only for tapping. I hope they issue a patch with Graffiti 2 soon!!!

could this be the software issue that is holding back the gsm version?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I started the return process for "JOT". I just could not get it to recognize much of anything.

I have "risen" up the ranks of PDA's, from a Newton 1000 (gasp!) to one of the early Palm Pilot Professional models, then to a Compaq Ipaq, and now to the Treo 600. Honestly, I could NEVER really get Grafitti or the PocketPC equivalents to work very well for me, no doubt due in large part to my laziness in practicing with them. On the other hand, I didn't really think the Treo's keyboard would be that big a deal.

Having the Treo for a few days now, I find I use the keyboard a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. (Of course, I thought Grafitti 2 was included!) Often, I have the stylus in action too; I'm finding it takes a lot of 5-way button clicks to scroll through a web page to get to the link or button I want to click. For the moment, the combination seems to work well. I might try Grafitti or its successors once they are perfected or patched for the T600, but I really am in no hurry for this to happen. JMHO.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Dalai, i've followed a similar path. I started out my PDA adventures on a Newton 110 (still have it, and it still works great), moved to a Palm Pro, them Palm III. Philips Nino, etc, etc. I've always relied heavily on handwriting recognition, be it grafitti, jot, whatever. Even on my T300, I used grafitti almost as much as the keyboard. Needless to say, I'm verey disappointed and suprised that HS didn't include something, g2, jot, whatever, with the T6. The software support is there, as is the stylus, so the omission makes no sense to me.

I've been using jot for the past 2 days, and it works great, I just don't want to pay for it. It doesn't look like I have a choice, tho, since my trial copy expires in 2 days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast