Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    JFREUD:

It is great to see someone else who finally gets it!!!!

When I wrote my review, “Treo 600: Love at First Sight”, I shared 20 pages worth of information and enthusiasm because I realized that the advent of the Treo 600 created a profound inflection point in digital history.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/240-1.htm

When I realized I was going to have the chance to sit down with Jeff Hawkins and talk with him about the future of handheld computing I shared your enthusiasm and I spent two weeks preparing for that meeting.

I then wrote a five part series on the future of handheld computing that TreoCentral.com has published the first three parts of. I am still working on Part 4 and Part 5 and they are close to being complete. You can get a preview by going to:

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/review.htm

JFREUD, I completely agree with you and I share your enthusiasm for the future of handheld computing.

I remember right after I wrote my first review, how another member of the forum said “it’s gonna be a long, long summer.” It was indeed a long and fascinating summer that was like no other I have ever had. How does the song go? “Anticipation. It’s making my wait. It’s driving me crazy!”

Speaking of anticipation, It is going to be a long, long winter anticipating the next generation of Treo!!!

I was recently having a conversation with a friend who said he read an article that said that information can be more addictive than herion?!?

Anyway, It is going to be a long, long winter, but at least we will have our Treo 600s by our sides while we contemplate the next treo.

Cheers!!!
    Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by Lorinserbenz
    Have you used one of the MS Smartphones yet? They work well and there size is much more pocketable than the Treo.... I am not a MS advocate, but they have enough $$$ to screw it up a few times before getting it right.
    Microsoft’s biggest mistake was when they decided to split the smart phone (stinger) off from the PPC. They should have just moved forward with one platform. M$ split its focus and diluted itself. The fascinating dynamic here is that NOBODY has ever made it this far fighting M$???

It’s going to be interesting to see how this game gets played out???

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    You are right, but M$ just released the Stinger phones. The Pocket Pc phones were and are a joke.... I hope Handspring continues to be the leader... I'd hate to have to look at the blue screen of death on my cell phone
    as i stated before- i believe the best smartphone on the market right now is not MS, or Palm, but powered by Symbian, the p800...

you can do everything with one hand, its fast, great screen, decent camera (much better than 600's from the photo's i've seen posted), expandable memory, bluetooth, voice dialing, vastly superior web browser running Opera with true small screen rendering technology...and the list goes on....

I believe if you tally up the symbian devices sold, they outnumber any MS or PALM converged device.

now here is the huge problem that both palm and symbian face-

crappy development environments to support their mediocre run time environments...

in non-software speak, this means that a great number of software developers in the world can pick up Microsofts Visual Studio.NET and start cranking out applications that run cross-platform- desktop, PPC, and Smartphone...

this is why microsoft will win, not the hardware\dist.\carrier relationships that they'll get right a year from now.

the reason why Palm and Symbian will fail is because nobody wants to go out and learn code-warrior and then cross compile their app between diff versions of Palm OS or Symbian.

not to mention it took a team of guys a year to develop UIQ, which is the UI layer on top of Symbian that powers the excellent p800/p900.

what does this mean? it means that Palm in particular had better get on the Java wagon, and quick, else they'll go the way of netscape in about 3 years...

and if the standards aren't there to support what they need, they need to drive the standards, embrace Java as a competitor to MS runtime/designtime, and develop some decent tools in house to ease application development, instead of relying on third parties.
    Originally posted by Lorinserbenz
    Have you used one of the MS Smartphones yet? They work well and there size is much more pocketable than the Treo.... I am not a MS advocate, but they have enough $$$ to screw it up a few times before getting it right.
    M$ may have the money to screw up a couple of times, but they only make the software. The phone manufacturer is the one assuming the most risk and as more and more M$ phone OS's fail, it will be harder and harder for M$ to find reputable manufacturers to make phones using the their OS. They just got Motorola with the MPX, but if it is a huge failure, I doubt that Moto would sell another M$ OS phone. I haven't seen any other major players pick up in the new OS, but I haven't looked too hard either.
  6.    #46  
    Jake-

You're a madman but we're kin. I read your article before I knew you posted here and I think your too far ahead of your time. Give the people who just learned to walk upright a chance to catch up. For God's sake they are just starting to learn that just because you have $50 billion dollars in cash lying around, it doesn't mean you can innovate anything on your own without having the mind for it.

Evaluator-

To the point: That was completely wrong. Palm has about 19,000 apps already written for it and growing daily. MS in this category is the infant and it's the customers, be it commercial or otherwise that will drive the adoption of either standard.

The problem has been that corporate customers have been dumb with respect to spending and have pushed what they know for fear of having their little balls removed.

benz-

There isn't a single PPC phone that even closely resembles a phone. Most of them look like what people in the 1950's thought we'd be communicating with at this stage. There great if you don't plan to walk more than 10 feet with them (huffin and puffin).
    Remember: You're a geek, normal people don't think like you!
    jfreud-

the point i was making is that microsoft makes it easy for an application developer- (and by this i mean someone in the business world, not some guy trying to come up with the next tetris rip off for palm os) to design an application using a single tool, and have it run across multiple form factors, windows, ppc, smartphone...

yes there are lots of palm apps, not many of them really do anything, but i've actually worked with palm on developing what they jokingly call their development community, and if you compare what they offer to what microsoft offers a developer, there is no comparison.

Palm doesnt have the money to build a community like that, so they need to beat MS at their own game.

i'm not defending MS, what i'm telling you is that palm has to make it easier, and open up their platform to something like Java that can compete and move them out of the proprietary.

thats kind of the reason why people get excited about linux, not to mention linux on converged devices...

by the way, how many of those 19000 apps that you mentioned will run cleanly on your new treo?

whats that? hmmm?

thats the point i was making...by supporting a single set of api's, and by having a single development tool, microsoft doesnt have that problem...you dont have to re-design your app from ppc 2002-3, smartphone 2002-3, worry about what size screen the device has, whether or not it does portrait or landscape...

again, not defending them, but theres a reason why they've got 50 billion in cash...they've done some things right...
    Originally posted by MrH

Oh man...who wants a radio! I wanna be able to stream di.fm into my Treo and listen to my favourite Vocal Trance... :-)

M@
    helllllll yea! <highfive>
  9. purpleX
    Originally posted by JakeE

Microsoft’s biggest mistake was when they decided to split the smart phone (stinger) off from the PPC. They should have just moved forward with one platform. M$ split its focus and diluted itself. The fascinating dynamic here is that NOBODY has ever made it this far fighting M$???

It’s going to be interesting to see how this game gets played out???

Jake
    It may be a mistake, but so far the smartphones already sell more than treo, not bad for a mistake. And this is only from one model. This year it wil start to have 2.

Th result of splitting the platform is obvious: It makes it possible for numpad driven UI control, different screen proportion balance for standard phone screen, voice dial, no touch screen, more drop resistance than wirelessPDA, far cheaper unit price than other smartphones, etc...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123