Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Life is most certainly good with people like Jeff Hawkins in the world.

(While this statement was said with all sincerity, please pardon the corniness. I'll try not to let it happen again).
    Remember: You're a geek, normal people don't think like you!
    I agree this is a great phone but it will not take the world by storm. The Treo 300 received raves and it did not sell very well. Pda companies are on the right track now (smaller form factor), but this is still a ways to go. First and foremost price needs to come down, whomever can hit the $199 price point is going to do well. With Motorola opting for the M$ smartphone OS they will get the price down and push hard for acceptance.
    Personally I love the Treo 600 and am eagerly awaiting the GSM since Sprint service is terrible in my area. But.... I doubt that this phone will set the world on fire. Yes it wil sell like hotcakes the first few weeks as all the new PDA phones do... after that it will be discounted just like the rest.... If it were not for Palm Handspring would be out of business, so I would not put much weight in this unit setting the world on fire...
  3.    #23  
    Benz

Trust me, this phone is going to make some serious waves. While price is always a factor, consider the justification that goes on in the mind of a non-geek. They may have an organizer, MAY, and they probably have a camera, they may understand the benefit of having the internet at their fingertips along with email and text messaging but with the convergence of this into a single device the price hovering around $500 isn't too bad.

This is where the problem has been with converged devices specifically the Treo: the Treo 300 while receiving rave reviews was only praised by geeks. Normal people, when first observing the phone, would say 2 things instantly 1- "It's too BIG", while yes, to the geek, this is a subjective and trivial statement, but to the non-geek it's something that they ABSOLUTELY care about. Much the same as if you'd had painted it pink with purple polka dots but crammed it with everything under the Sun, some geek on this board would be touting it as the next Treo KILLER. No normal person would buy a phone like this no matter how good.

The second thing people would say when they observed the Treo 300 was "Are you trying to call Captain Kirk or something". It is very important to the non-geek that they don't look geek-ish. The Treo 300 may have seemed cool for you and me but for the non-geek they would never even think about buying a phone like that (notice "phone like that", that's also the way non-geeks see things).

The Treo 600 addresses these major obstacles to mainstream adoption. They removed the flip-top and shaved a half-inch of the side. To you and me that might not be that big of a deal but to the normal person it means almost everything. Once the mainstream non-geek sees the benefit of having an organizer, camera, internet connection, email and messaging attached to their phone $500 is not alot to ask, especially for Christmas, Hanukah, whatever.
  4.    #24  
    Oh, by the way, not that it's happened here but the next person that I hear from that the Treo isn't "revolutionary, it's evolutionary", there going to get ***** slapped and real hard.

The phone may not be revolutionary to you because you've seen the earlier models, to the mainstream this thing is going to be revolutionary. Consider this: Sprint hasn't even announced this thing yet and Handspring did 2 days ago and there has already been reports that the phone is back-ordered. Sprint would be the mainstream- Handspring, the geeks.

P.S. If Sprint had any business brains they would have announced this thing on a Friday before Columbus day. Some people have a 3 or more day weekend and that's when normal people shop.
    I consider myself to be a technology geek and the form factor of the Treo 300 and the G1000 kept me from getting either. I also do not like having to use a stylus so the I300, I330, I500, and I700 are all out. I still don't trust a vitual phone pad solely so any PPC phone device that I haven't included is out. T9 sucks so the MS Smartphone is out.

Could the Treo 600 have been better? Sure, but at what cost (battery, size, cost, etc.) HS did a great job judging from the reviews of this phone. No other device that is out, or that has been shown to me I would consider a Treo killer. I am sure someone will make one, but I haven't seen it yet even though some people are trying hard to find and show them.

I expect HS to stay close to this packaging for the next iteration and will address some of the issues that people have like screen resolution (240x240 would be good for the screen size), Bluetooth (Just have to solder the chip and get the OS support), and faster processor more memory (easy to increase). They probably have some prototypes already with all of these features now.
  6.    #26  
    Inichols-

Right on!
    People always get so hot when you point out a PDA's weakness... you would think I kicked someones kid
    I said I like the Treo 600.... it is a great PDA/phone, and it will sell well for now... You have to realize that in order to gain wide acceptance you need to hit a certain price point. I read about many complaints on the price of the Treo on this board. To me I think the unit is a good value.... but... others will not. Just look at what is the best seller for Palm... the ZIRE.... why? its $99.00.
    If Handspring was doing so well they would not have been swallowed by Palm. They are changing the face of the PDA/phone world but it will take time for acceptance.
    Oh and don't think there is going to be some mass shortage of Treo 600's .... check Sparco.com.. they have 1300 in stock

My point is the 600 is a great unit but it will not sell like you think. Its too expensive.... Will I buy one... YES I will because it is a good value but the average person will not see it that way.
    I expect HS to stay close to this packaging for the next iteration and will address some of the issues that people have like screen resolution (240x240 would be good for the screen size), Bluetooth (Just have to solder the chip and get the OS support), and faster processor more memory (easy to increase). They probably have some prototypes already with all of these features now.
    I'm sure I'll eat my words when the 650 comes out, but at this point, I feel that the 600 is SO complete, the only thing that will make me upgrade are any one of the following:

1) Compatibility w/ Sprint's next-gen superfast data network (EV-DV?)
    2) Hi-Res PLUS screen
    3) Integrated rotating camera on par with today's stand-alone cameras (2.2MP + Flash and good quality would do it for me).
    4) OS6, and some apps that use it to really add functionality above and beyond the 600.

I don't expect those things on the next iteration, but at least one of those should be on a Treo when it's time to upgrade in 15 months.
    [i]My point is the 600 is a great unit but it will not sell like you think. Its too expensive.... Will I buy one... YES I will because it is a good value but the average person will not see it that way. [/B]
    I would say that's accurate. At this price point, it might not sell that many, but I can't tell you how many people I talk to that say that they would be all over this phone, with all its' features, if it was available for <$200 after rebate. That day is not far away.

Also, don't rule out a lower-end model, specially now that Palm and HS are one.
    i know i'm not being the voice of exuberance here, but as i've stated in previous posts, i'm a current sony ericsson p800 owner (for about a year, which tells you i'm an early adopter, and shelled out some dough for it) and i've also owned a blackberry 7230, pocket pc phone, sidekick, and just about every converged device released in the past several years...

so having used all of these, i dont consider myself a "gushing" treo user.

I've had about an hour of "hands-on" experience at the san francisco launch event, still waiting to get an unlocked GSM version.

in my opinion, and being someone who actually works in the industry, i feel that the bottom line is this-

several important design features were driven by COST- like the screen, which kind of sucks...and the camera, and the lack of bluetooth, and voicedialing...

now this makes the product cost less, but also less desirable to someone like me- so really what handspring is doing is compromising their design to go for mass market appeal, which everyone does of course, but may bite them in the end- as i feel that someone like me is their core audience, and someone who be an evangelist for their product.

i find the screen, really just inexcusable- when my p800 and blackberry both had absolutely stunning transreflective displays, especially the blackberry, which almost looks like paper...and the RIM sells at less cost...

also, the lack of bluetooth, pretty disapointing, once you use it, you'll never go back, and the cost to the manufacturer is something approaching under 5 bucks per unit. using a bt headset with voicedialing is really a huge convenience factor...

my girlfriends father, already has a list of things he wants in his next phone, and outlook synch and bluetooth are among them.

oh yeah, i guess there is no voice dialing...hmmm

now, having stated all of this, i'll still get one, but having compared the two, its going to be a tough choice whether i ditch my p800, (or p900 pretty soon) and god knows i feel sorry for the non GSM people here, because one of the great things that nobody mentions is the ability to SWITCH to a SMALLER phone on the weekends or when a combo brick is not required.

so i can switch to my t610 and still have bluetooth when i want it, for me one of the worst things about sprint was the account being locked to a single phone.

anyways, let me don my flame retardant suit to get ready for the replies.
    The screen is one area I did not mention, it is not the greatest. I assume handsprings choice of screen was a battery related one. The Sony P900 does have a VERY impressive screen.
  12. purpleX
    What battery related? The rest of phone universe has higher resolution, some with bigger screen, smaller battery and longer talk time even.

It's not the battery's fault. It's the whole design.
  13.    #33  
    Evaluator-

No offense but it seems that while you're evaluation is like some other posts that I have read the fact remains (sorry) that your seeing the Treo through a geeks eyes.

When you get your phone and you're evanglizing it (you will just be using and wearing it) walk up to anyone and hand them your phone and ask them what they think. NO normal person is going to notice the screen's resolution and they're most certainly not going to comment on the absence of bluetooth (oh no!) which incidentally is definitely included if a 3rd party creates an SD bluetooth card- WILL happen.

I think the only place you're going to see comments about the screen and bluetooth is HERE on Treocentral. Sorry. We're geeks.

By the way I like the screen. I've used the Treo 300 extensively and I like it's screens resolution. The Treo 600 blows the 300 away to the everyday person.
  14. purpleX
    treo 300 sales is a flop by phone or PDA standard.
  15.    #35  
    ONLY by sales!
    Has anyone seen the Handsprings quarterly report?? go to www.palminfocenter.com
    Like I stated before the PDA/phone market is not a big one.....
  17.    #37  
    Benz-

And now again to the point which you have been missing. It's one word. Ready?

YET!!!
    I agree YET...
    someday.... I WANT HANDSPRING/Palm to dominate..... but it will be a while and they have to contend with M$...
    Originally posted by Lorinserbenz
    I agree YET...
    someday.... I WANT HANDSPRING/Palm to dominate..... but it will be a while and they have to contend with M$...
    There are MANY MORE Pals/HS sold then Pocket PC!

I was a Pocket PC user for years.. since the HP Jornada 420... Palm is just USER FRIENDLY. MS OS has NEVER been able to compete.... and with Palms dominance in the handheld arena now, it will be close to impossible for MS to come back...

Furthermore, Microsfot for YEARS has been promising a "smartphone"... I phone where you can do everything with one hand (but no keypad).

Well, the Treo 600 IS this phone (with a keyboard).

So who has been asleep at the wheel here?

Don't worry about MS.... They just are not strong in this area.

Mike
    Have you used one of the MS Smartphones yet? They work well and there size is much more pocketable than the Treo.... I am not a MS advocate, but they have enough $$$ to screw it up a few times before getting it right.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast