Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I've had the T600 for a few days now and overall, I love it. Here are a few things I think about it:

The keyboard is harder to use (slower) than the prevous Treos, seems like it will take a little time to get used to it.

The screen is a lot better in terms of brightness and being able to see it in sunlight.

The signal is better than my Treo 300 - I consistantly get at least 1 more bar at all times. My opinion of the signal strength is that it's better than samsung, but not as good as sanyo.

The new system sounds are a LOT better.

I've used the stylus twice since I got the Treo 600. It's really only needed for games or apps that don't yet support the 5-way nav.

It's a bit heavy, but it sure feels a lot better than the 300. For once it seems like a quality item.

The camera is horrible. I don't really care about that anyway, so it's ok.

It might just be me, but it does feel slightly akward up to my ear... may take some getting used to. Also, since it's heavier than any other phone I've had, it gets slightly annoying after holding it up to my ear for awhile.

Blazer 3 is amazing. I compared how it displays web sights with pocket Internet Explorer and it seems to look better overall.

The speakerphone is good, better than the one on the Treo 300.

Haven't had any reset problems or problems with the screen randomly turning on yet.

I think the volume buttons on the side are too far up, a little hard to reach (might just be how I hold the phone).

Well that's about it for now, if anyone has questions, post them!
    W.r.t. "screen turning on" - this was a MAJOR problem with my ancient Nokia (*) until I figured out that it had a "Keyboard Lock" feature that required time-sequenced specific keyboard input to unlock the keyboard.

Doesn't the TREO 600 have this same feature?

===

(*) It was SO bad that the battery of the Nokia was consistently drained while inside my wife's purse - banging around in there would push SOME button, causing the display light to turn on, causing the battery to drain very quickly.

That's no longer a problem with this particular phone.

However, the battery STILL drains VERY rapidly when the phone appears to be searching for a signal - in my part of the DC area, that unfortunately appears to be often!
    Certainly in the GSM emulator, there is an option to disable the touchscreen when using the phone.
    No, that's not what I mean - I means disabling the screen when NOT using the phone.

That is, press a couple key keys within a certain time period and the screen is OFF, period. Press those same keys in sequence within the same time period and the screen is re-enabled. If an incoming call comes in, answering it will enable the screen until hangup at which point the screen goes back to off.

That's the way this ancient Nokia (dumbphone) works - works well.
    I do think they have some lock the keyboard key sequence. If you go to handspring's support website you can download the manual.

My 600 left Salt Lake City's FedEx ramp at 9:13 last night and hasn't arrived yet, so I can tell you for sure
    I've never seen a non-flip phone that didn't have a key lock feature. Even my boyfriend's ancient brick Nokia has it. If I recall from reading the 600's manual, it does as well, but since I don't have one yet I can't confirm. I can't possibly imagine it not having it though, that's just simple common sense design....
    Originally posted by Iggie
    I do think they have some lock the keyboard key sequence. If you go to handspring's support website you can download the manual.

My 600 left Salt Lake City's FedEx ramp at 9:13 last night and hasn't arrived yet, so I can tell you for sure
    Did HS or FedEx send you the Tracking number? When did you order your 600? I filled out my order yesterday at 9AM EST and my order is still listed as "Order Received". The wait is killing me.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    The Treo 600 does have keyguard, it actually works great. Basically, whenever you press the power button on top or the screen off button on the front, the keyguard is automatically activated. The next time you try turning it on, it has you press the middle 5-way nav button, otherwise the screen will turn back off 5 second later.
    If that's the way the TREO 600 "keeps" the screen from turning on, then it's broken.

The way I described that the old Nokia I have does it is the only way to go - two keypresses from keys remotely located from each other in a particular sequence within a certain timeframe.

A ==single== keypress to turn the screen on GUARANTEES that a phone in a purse will be turning on the screen all the time.
    from what I understand and what the simulator makes me do is you have to turn on the device (first keypress) and then hit the middle button (second keypress)

Correct?

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Thanks for the review DSDxp. I'm sure many Treo 300 owners (like me) have been looking for a review like yours that speaks from the viewpoint of a previous Treo 300 owner. Since most reviews come from the "new never had a Treo" perspective.

How does the battery life compare with the Treo 300?
    A ==single== keypress to turn the screen on GUARANTEES that a phone in a purse will be turning on the screen all the time.
    Seldom, it does take two keypresses in remote locations:

-power button, at the top of the phone
    -center button in five-way nav

Remember that unlike your run of the mill candybar phone, the power is "off" most of the time - in terms of pressing numbers having any effect. So both the power button and the single keylock button would have to be pressed, which is a remote possibility. They are not only relatively far apart, they are on different surfaces of the phone.

I like flip phones, personally, but I think the candybar design makes sense in this case, and I've had no issues with the keylock.
    How does the battery life compare with the Treo 300?
    It is at least 50% better.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    darnell,

The battery life on the 600 is a LOT better. For example, I was on the web for at least a total of 2 hours throughout the day as well as talking for over a few hours and the battery was at 50 percent by the end od the day. The 300 wouldn't even last me 2 hours on the web let alone talking also.
    Hi,

How is the vibration alert in silent mode? One of my complaints is that when my original treo is in silent mode, I can not feel the phone vibrating, and I miss calls.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    darnell,

The battery life on the 600 is a LOT better. For example, I was on the web for at least a total of 2 hours throughout the day as well as talking for over a few hours and the battery was at 50 percent by the end od the day. The 300 wouldn't even last me 2 hours on the web let alone talking also.
    Thanks alot! You are so right! I'm afraid to use my Treo 300 for over an hour no matter what I'm doing. This is a good reason for me to upgrade .
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    The Treo 600 does have keyguard, it actually works great. Basically, whenever you press the power button on top or the screen off button on the front, the keyguard is automatically activated. The next time you try turning it on, it has you press the middle 5-way nav button, otherwise the screen will turn back off 5 second later.
    The Treo 600 does not have a true keygaurd feature. When calls are recieved it does not prevent the spacebar and enter keys from answering a call. Nor does it keep the ringer from becoming muted when a key on the keyboard was depressed.

Hopefully Handspring will be pressured into adding a true keygaurd to the Treo 600 or a 3rd party solution will be found.