Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    xxxxx
    Last edited by brain615; 03/23/2009 at 08:35 PM.
    Your new phone should come with instructions on how to sync your data to your new Palm-based device. In a nutshell, here's the order:

1. Sync old device
    2. Install Palm software incl. w/ Treo 600
    3. Sync new T600. When asked for the device name, provide the name of the old device.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    It is a piece of cake!
    Carl
    Doesn't that end up syncing DBs, apps, preferences, hacks, configurations, etc., from non-OS5? Wouldn't that be problematic?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DON'T DO THIS. Especially if you have extensive use of hacks and such. The install will remove any apps it deems incompatible, but that doesn't get everything. For example, I had Treo300SMS loaded and it slipped through. Once on the phone, the only way to get it off was to do a hard reset.

I've found that taking the extra time to create a new hotsync user ID (or renaming the old one and re-creating) is the way to go. There is so much differant on this device from the Treo 300 that we will have to wait for T600 compatible apps for most of what's out there.

Anyone want to back me up or flame me ?
    Originally posted by KKenna
    If someone flames you I will bring some marshmellows

I think the best thing is to sync and then totally remove hotsync program altogether... delete all databases and backups and start fresh.

never could go wrong by startiing fresh.

Take a few mins to put all your apps in again the proper way.

It's like when you get a new PC... you can bring stuff over as is and get a lot of junk and potential issues, or start clean.

Mike
    Originally posted by MikeRadio

If someone flames you I will bring some marshmellows

I think the best thing is to sync and then totally remove hotsync program altogether... delete all databases and backups and start fresh.

never could go wrong by startiing fresh.

Take a few mins to put all your apps in again the proper way.

It's like when you get a new PC... you can bring stuff over as is and get a lot of junk and potential issues, or start clean.

Mike
    I'll second that. Take the extra time initially. You might be saving yourself hours and headaches.
    I agree with the majority. I use Outlook, and to do what you want, I think the best way is:

-sync the old device to make sure the contacts and calendar are current
    -create a new sync username in the hotsync manager
    -go into Outlook and make sure the full folder list is open. One of them should contain a document with your old sync name. This tells it to sync to that name. Delete it (you won't lose data)
    -under Chapura, switch the sync name (I'm not in front of my PC with Outlook right now so I don't remember the exact things to click on, but it's easy to find)

When you sync, your Outlook contacts and calendar should transfer over without any hacks or programs. You can then send the programs that you want manually or via beaming.
    I am going to do the start fresh method. I agree that will avoid more potential problems.

Now my question is this: I would like to keep the same hot sync name. For obvious reasons, I don't want to have to get all new registration codes for all my programs if I change the hot sync name.

Would it work to just do this:

1. Sync old Treo 300

2. REMOVE backup folder from my "Handspring" folder on my pc.

3. Do a sync of new Treo 300 with same hot sync name.

Won't this force a NEW backup folder? And then I can manually reinstall all my old programs??
    Originally posted by KKenna
    I agree with this and others...Simply restoring your old Treo300 profile to the Treo600 IS A BAD IDEA!!! I would seriously recommend against this b/c of the myriad of software incompatibilities that exist between OS 3.5 and OS 5.2.1H! If you want to avoid the havoc that some third party apps may cause (hacks, non-faithful apps, etc), I would suggest you follow the steps indicated in the link provided below. It is a much better idea to start off with an entirely new and fresh install, b/c there may tons of small left over apps, data, and junk in your old profile. The best course of action is to just transfer your PIM info and then re-install your 3rd party apps. You can even do this by keeping your old profile name by following the steps in the link below. (This is especially useful when you've registered various software to a profile) The article is from the Palm knowledge base of how to upgrade to the T|T from an older Palm, but the steps are also relavant to Treo300 users upgrading to the Treo600:

http://205.141.210.149/SRVS/CGI-BIN/...ase=obj(20508)

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    You should be able to delete the username in the sync manager and in outlook, then create a new user with the same name. I've done this a couple of times by accident.
    I imagine that you could beam the contents of your contacts directory from one Treo to another.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I agree with this and others...Simply restoring your old Treo300 profile to the Treo600 IS A BAD IDEA!!! I would seriously recommend against this b/c of the myriad of software incompatibilities that exist between OS 3.5 and OS 5.2.1H! If you want to avoid the havoc that some third party apps may cause (hacks, non-faithful apps, etc), I would suggest you follow the steps indicated in the link provided below. It is a much better idea to start off with an entirely new and fresh install, b/c there may tons of small left over apps, data, and junk in your old profile. The best course of action is to just transfer your PIM info and then re-install your 3rd party apps. You can even do this by keeping your old profile name by following the steps in the link below. (This is especially useful when you've registered various software to a profile) The article is from the Palm knowledge base of how to upgrade to the T|T from an older Palm, but the steps are also relavant to Treo300 users upgrading to the Treo600:

http://205.141.210.149/SRVS/CGI-BIN/...ase=obj(20508)

Thanks this has the info I needed!!
    OK, now I am confused. The HS rep said just install the new software,hotsync the old unit (300) then connect the new unit (600) and do another hotsync. All the PIM data is now there. I only have about 3 apps other than what came with the unit-big clock,eudora,cell plan tracker and a couiple more. I will just go to their sites and download them again. If they require registration codes I am thinking I will call/email and get the codes again. Am I on the right track? All that other stuff is thoroughly confusing to me.
    Originally posted by jfscars48
    OK, now I am confused. The HS rep said just install the new software,hotsync the old unit (300) then connect the new unit (600) and do another hotsync. All the PIM data is now there. I only have about 3 apps other than what came with the unit-big clock,eudora,cell plan tracker and a couiple more. I will just go to their sites and download them again. If they require registration codes I am thinking I will call/email and get the codes again. Am I on the right track? All that other stuff is thoroughly confusing to me.
    You only need to do what the others are telling you if you have used hacks and various other programs. Sounds like you didn't really experiment much with trying all sorts of programs so you should be safe going by the what you were told (and it's also in the user guide).