Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Someone posted a couple of links to sites selling unlocked GSM 600's a while back. I went to each of these sites recently to see if they had updated information on the release date. The first site was called ShopBLT and their original availability date was October 10th. They're site still has that date, as it appears to do a realtime inventory check. Not really sure if it's accurate or not, but I'll be checking it later on today for updates. I still plan to buy direct from HS, but I feel that these sites are decent indicators of availability from HS.

The second was a company called Dream Pages and the information on their site was updated October 9th. It reads as follows:

Updated 10/9: Handspring has pushed back the release of the GSM/GPRS model until 10/15. We should have them in our warehouse on 10/17. Due to the number of orders we have, orders placed now will probably not be shipped until the 3rd day after we begin shipping. PLEASE do not flood us with emails and phone calls asking us to put your order on top or asking what day yours will ship. This will only slow down the process. We want to ship as many as we can each day. Thanks.

Now I know there have been threads that speak to November 24th delays, but I can't see HS delaying the launch date of the unlocked GSM model. Even though they have a tight relationship with TMO, their revenues are directly related to how many of these devices they sell. Any since the unlocked versions can run on multiple networks, they stand to anger or alienate the customers of other carriers (Cingular, AT&T, Rogers AT&T) who are interested in the 600.

I'm a TMO customer and I could care less what crap they plan on putting on the phone (including their logo). My first 270 was bought a couple of days after if was released and had no problems on their network. I clearly remember that TMO wasn't completely on board with the device then. Of course I also remember that this was pre-GPRS and that was a waiting game. Nevertheless, I have faith in HS that the unlocked 600 is coming sometime next week and I truly hope that the release date of October 15th mentioned above is an accurate one.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Hmmmm... the DreamPages info was originally 10/10, then 10/13 and now 10/17. Bummer.

Hopefully Handspring will actually ship 'em and we'll see them next week... But this is certainly not encouraging.
    Well, that's the first good news on GSM Treo 600 availability lately.

It sounds like all of the T-Mobile people received the email pushing T-Mobile's orders back to November. Since Dream Pages' info also appears to have been updated today (10/9), that makes next week's release by other GSM resellers sound a bit stronger.

Hopefully, Handspring will start to sell next week. If so, I also hope the GPRS connection will work with T-Mobile.
    I REALLY wish Handspring would start offering the upgrade plan on Unlocked GSM T-600s. As I see it, the likelihood of increasing churn for the carriers goes DOWN by doing so. I really don't see why the carriers insist on locked devices. All it does is **** people off. I'd be happy to stick with my carrier (T-Mo) but I'm really starting to mistrust them.

See my rants in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t37395/s.html
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Originally posted by MadBrowser
    Hmmmm... the DreamPages info was originally 10/10, then 10/13 and now 10/17. Bummer.

Hopefully Handspring will actually ship 'em and we'll see them next week... But this is certainly not encouraging.
    Now as long as the Dream Pages people aren't making these dates up, then I actually think this is encouraging. Now of course delays are never that encouraging, but this tells me that HS is at least giving someone updated information, which is more than any of us get when we contact them directly.

I guess time will tell.
  6. 7ss
    I'd love to be wrong about this but I was told at the SF mission possible that Handspring would not be selling unlocked GSM phones directly due to carrier relationships. They said other dealers might but you won't be able to buy them from the Handspring web site without being locked to a particular carrier.

I need a Cingular phone so I'm hoping it was wrong so I can get one sooner but they seemed pretty definite about it.
    If you go to the Owner upgrade and enter your serial number there is a definite choice for an unlocked GSM Treo 600 for US$399.

It is not in stock yet but it is listed underneath T-Mobile & Cingular, I can only guess than handspring.com will put the unlocked on when T-mobile and cingular are available with the 3 week deadline on purchase.

I live outside USA so my problem is getting a US shipping address & credit card

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Originally posted by VikingBrad
    I live outside USA so my problem is getting a US shipping address & credit card

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    VikingBrad... What country ?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have 1 each Treo 180 and 1 each 270, can anyone on this board tell what I have to do to get a Treo 600 GSM version on a discount ? (PayPal)
    Originally posted by george_vc

VikingBrad... What country ?

Australia

I have a contact (brother) who lives in US but returns on Oct 24. So if the GSM version is delayed I'm going to miss out.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Originally posted by Draugen
    I have 1 each Treo 180 and 1 each 270, can anyone on this board tell what I have to do to get a Treo 600 GSM version on a discount ? (PayPal)
    Click this link

http://www.handspring.com/promos/treo600_promo.jhtml

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    vikingbrad,

i bought my treo 270 last year using a credit card issued in asia. so unless they've become stricter and changed their policy, you should be able to use your credit card (visa or mastercard). as to shipping address, maybe you can send it to a relative or friend who resides in the us and they can just send it to wherever you are. provided they're not overcome with envy and decide to keep it...
    Originally posted by VikingBrad

Click this link

http://www.handspring.com/promos/treo600_promo.jhtml

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    The way I read the promo info, is that for $399 you'll receive a Sprint sim-locked T600. Which means no good in Norway (or any other country/any other operator). Better wait for the SIM-free GSM version, even though it'll cost you more.
    I know I will...

Regards,

Christopher
    I don't think that DreamPages is making stuff up. I'm fairly sure they are going by what Ingram Micro is saying...

The problem is if Handspring is stringing Ingram along on this one or not.
    Originally posted by jeeter
    Someone posted a couple of links to sites selling unlocked GSM 600's a while back. I went to each of these sites recently to see if they had updated information on the release date. The first site was called ShopBLT and their original availability date was October 10th. They're site still has that date, as it appears to do a realtime inventory check. Not really sure if it's accurate or not, but I'll be checking it later on today for updates. I still plan to buy direct from HS, but I feel that these sites are decent indicators of availability from HS.

The second was a company called Dream Pages and the information on their site was updated October 9th. It reads as follows:

Updated 10/9: Handspring has pushed back the release of the GSM/GPRS model until 10/15. We should have them in our warehouse on 10/17. Due to the number of orders we have, orders placed now will probably not be shipped until the 3rd day after we begin shipping. PLEASE do not flood us with emails and phone calls asking us to put your order on top or asking what day yours will ship. This will only slow down the process. We want to ship as many as we can each day. Thanks.

Now I know there have been threads that speak to November 24th delays, but I can't see HS delaying the launch date of the unlocked GSM model. Even though they have a tight relationship with TMO, their revenues are directly related to how many of these devices they sell. Any since the unlocked versions can run on multiple networks, they stand to anger or alienate the customers of other carriers (Cingular, AT&T, Rogers AT&T) who are interested in the 600.

I'm a TMO customer and I could care less what crap they plan on putting on the phone (including their logo). My first 270 was bought a couple of days after if was released and had no problems on their network. I clearly remember that TMO wasn't completely on board with the device then. Of course I also remember that this was pre-GPRS and that was a waiting game. Nevertheless, I have faith in HS that the unlocked 600 is coming sometime next week and I truly hope that the release date of October 15th mentioned above is an accurate one.
    I agree that HS is NOT going to delay things that long. I keep hearing 2 weeks after their online Sprint release (i.e., 2 weeks from this past Weds) will be when they sell the GSM models.

But here is something worth noting....If you enter your SN into their trade-in offer, you will see they are planning to sell the unlocked GSMs for $399, without a contract. These other places are selling them for $565 and $599. You are gonna shoot yourself in the heads if you overpay by 50% for a few days pleasure.
    Listen to the first 10 minutes (max) of the Handspring earnings conference call to clear up in some manner some of the ambiguity of the "available" times for various TREO 600s in various parts of the world.

The CEO explicitly mentioned everything (albeit somewhat ambiguously - but LESS ambiguously than this thread up to now!).

The CC is available on Handspring's website under About Handspring under Investor Relations.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Originally posted by zipmitz

I agree that HS is NOT going to delay things that long. I keep hearing 2 weeks after their online Sprint release (i.e., 2 weeks from this past Weds) will be when they sell the GSM models.

But here is something worth noting....If you enter your SN into their trade-in offer, you will see they are planning to sell the unlocked GSMs for $399, without a contract. These other places are selling them for $565 and $599. You are gonna shoot yourself in the heads if you overpay by 50% for a few days pleasure.
    As I stated in my original post, I'm definitely purchasing this sucker from HS with the tradeup discount, I just look to these sites as indicators of when the actual release will be since HS seems to communicate more info to them then they do to us peons.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

The CC is available on Handspring's website under About Handspring under Investor Relations.

I haven't been able to play it. I just keep looping back to the main Handspring IR page when I click the CC link.

Is there a transcript available somewhere?
    "standardized non-carrier specific GSM product to be available by the end of the month"....
    This should work - may have to "register" - any email is fine (I used "asdfasdf@abc.com"...).

-- http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir...id=ew,794673,1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast