Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am not a big fan of the Blazer browser. Unfortunately, there dosen't seem to be a lot of alternatives. Most of the other browsers seemed to be proprietary to certain PDAs.

Anyone know of any other web browsers that are made for OS5 devices? Surely, there are others.
    Qualcomm makes EudoraWeb browser. I don't like it much more than blazer though.....

eudoraweb
    I would highly recommend Pocketlink. I've never used it with OS5, but on the Palmgear website it says it's compatible. I used to use it with my Treo 300 and it was really nice. The one added benefit now is that it can download files to a memory card. I couldn't use that feature with the Treo 300 (obviously, no memory card), but it may come in handy for the 600. I haven't had a chance to load it onto the 600 yet, but I bet it will still be great. I'll post again tomorrow after I load it and try it out. They may have a demo version at Palmgear to try if you're interested...
    I like Xiino.
    I like Xiino.
    My Treo is coming in today "before 3 PM". Xiino is not OS5 compatible!!! It is the one thing, more than anything, that I will miss on the 600. I'm convinced that Blazer 3.0 will be a BIG downgrade in terms of speed.
    I just e-mailed Xilinx to see if they have any plans to port Xiino to OS5. I'll let you know if they respond.
  7.    #7  
    It is definately slow and I really don't understand why. I was always told that the palm processor was the bottleneck. Now that the Treo 600 has a processor that is 4.5 times faster, you would think that Blazer would blaze.

However, it is no faster than the Treo 300. I know that it is no longer using a proxy server, but even on the web sites that were intended for mobile users, like mobile.handspring.com it seems slow.
    So what complaints exactly do you guys have with Blazer 3.0?

Have you used it yet? It is completely redesigned from previous versions -- the UI is the only thing that is similar.

You might want to get your T600 and try it before already searching for alternatives. Much work was put into optimizing the experience for browsing on this device.

If you don't like B3 after using it, I'd be curious to find out why not (eg sites that do not render well, features it does not have etc)
    Scoopman,
    Based on some tests we performed with a TC poster, it seems B3 is as slow as B2, and many times slower than Xiino. I rarely use B2 on my 300 for just that reason- it's much slower than Xiino.
    this gsm delay is kinda good, you guys get all the experimenting great thread keep it comming
    On what sites is B3 slow? Remember perception of speed is usually how the page renders -- and that depends on a lot of complex factors including how it is coded, size of graphics etc.

Sometimes a proxy-based browser will appear faster because it cuts out graphics etc.

Can you give me some specific examples of sites where Xiino is faster than B3 (NOT B2 -- totally different browser core)?
  12.    #12  
    I just downloaded and installed Avantgo (OS5) version. It is super fast when compared to Blazer.

The previous versions did not allow you to visit certain sites that weren't Avantgo partners (like Ebay, ESPN, etc.). So far I have not had any problem visiting those sites.

And it also supports Java script, you can add bookmarks, and it renders extremely fast.

If you haven't already signed up for Avantgo, give it a try. I think you'll definately prefer to Blazer.

https://my.avantgo.com/register/choose_device.html

Remember, you'll have to sign up for an Avantgo account first.
    Originally posted by scoopman
    On what sites is B3 slow?

James Bond Thread

pgatour.com took 20 seconds to load in Xiino, and over 1:22 in Blazer 3. It wasn't just me. Everyone who posted said that even B2 was loading pages faster than B3. Granted, Blazer 3 was downloading much more information, but I'd like to be able to have an option to skip the fancy stuff and just get a page as fast as Xiino. Other people posted in the thread that there were not significant differences with images on or off.

Let's just be clear here - I will proudly carry the 600, and have it surgically attached once I receive it "at or before 3 PM today", but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$'$s$ $no$ $legitimate$ $solution$ $to$ $getting$ $a$ $page$ $to$ $load$ $ASAP$ $as$ $in$ $Xiino$, $and$ $that$ $does$ $hurt$ $functionality$ $somewhat$, $IMO$.
    Originally posted by rventuri
    I just downloaded and installed Avantgo (OS5) version. It is super fast when compared to Blazer.

The previous versions did not allow you to visit certain sites that weren't Avantgo partners (like Ebay, ESPN, etc.). So far I have not had any problem visiting those sites.

And it also supports Java script, you can add bookmarks, and it renders extremely fast.

If you haven't already signed up for Avantgo, give it a try. I think you'll definately prefer to Blazer.

https://my.avantgo.com/register/choose_device.html

Remember, you'll have to sign up for an Avantgo account first.
    Does the new version still have a page size limit? AG was fast, but it was unusable for me , as most of the sites I tried were too large for it to download.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I must be crazy then. I used to use both Xiino and B2 on my 300, and the new "Web" seems to me to be at least twice as fast as B2. I'm not trying to load things like PGATour, but I just tried it. It did take a while to load, but c'mon, could they cram anything more into that home page ?

I for one think that HS has closed the gap between B2 and Xiino with the new "Web" app (and I paid for Xiino). So far, I don't miss it at all.
    Originally posted by rventuri
    It is definately slow and I really don't understand why. I was always told that the palm processor was the bottleneck. Now that the Treo 600 has a processor that is 4.5 times faster, you would think that Blazer would blaze.
    Keep in mind that they removed a secondary proxy for the 600. So while the processor is faster the images are pulled directly from the Sprint network (still compressed) instead of a slimmed down version.
    KKenna,

To be fair, it should be noted that the T600 cited in that test may have been in a bad signal area or unusually slow for whatever reason. As a Xiino user, if you say that B3's speed is something you can deal with, that means something to me. We'll all have to wait to get the phone and decide for ourselves.
    NetFront? Clies are preloaded with it. Also, TCs?

http://www.access-netfront.com/index.html
    I can't seem to find the NetFront browser for PalmOS? I find it for the PocketPC...but not the Palm?

any help would be great.

<><
    mykul
    B3 is based on NetFront technology. And I'm not sure how NF would work on a low-res screen, even if there was some way to install it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast