Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i've already searched and my question wasn't answered. the handspring website doesn't go into detail about the phone functions, and a google search comes up null.

i previewed the treo 600 at a sprintpcs store today and i asked if it had voice dialing, the rep stated yes.

those of with a treo 600. could you please let me know if it does or it doesn't?

thank you.
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    Does not but supposedley can be enabled at some point.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    No equipped with T600 but Sprint does offer this service... You get 2 mon free trial
    Originally posted by franknitty69

i previewed the treo 600 at a sprintpcs store today and i asked if it had voice dialing, the rep stated yes.

thank you.
    My understanding is that it does not. However, since Sprint PCS offers Voice Command, I can understand how someone in the Sprint store might say that it does.

My Nokia 8890 does support voice dialing; I would rather have Voice Command. I will be happy when T-Mobile offers it. While all of the ways to select and dial a number on the Treo works for most situations, Voice Command is really useful when you are driving.
    To answer the original question - the Treo doesn't have voice dialing, as others have said. You can get that service from Sprint for an extra $5/month.

Here's my question - why would you rather have Voice Command than built-in voice dialing? I haven't had a phone with voice dialing, so I'm sincerely wondering what the difference is.
    Just from my limited experience on my Samsung A500, I believe the Voice Command is not just limited to voice dialing. You can dial a number by assigning a unique vocal call to it ("Name Dial... Joshua"), or speak the actual digits themselves ("Digit Dial... 7..0..5..."etc), OR use premade vocal calls to zoom the phone to different functions ("Voicemail" "Notebook", etc).
  7.    #7  
    the only reason that i prefer voice diaing to sprint's voice command is that: a)it's free, and b)it's easier.

on my sanyo 5150, i press talk, the little lady says 'please say the name', i speak, voila. if i want to just dial a number i press the keypad, and talk. to redial, just hit talk twice.

for voice command, i have to press *(whatever the # is), talk, then say the name.

but hey, at least sprint offers it, cause they're are alot of phones w/o voice dialing.

but from what i'm hearing this can be added through software? i guess i'll have to make it then. how about an automation software as well (record your functions, then have them run, either automatically, or with specific keystrokes)?
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    Originally posted by wombat2
    To answer the original question - the Treo doesn't have voice dialing, as others have said. You can get that service from Sprint for an extra $5/month.

Here's my question - why would you rather have Voice Command than built-in voice dialing? I haven't had a phone with voice dialing, so I'm sincerely wondering what the difference is.
    Longer list, can import to the list from other sources, can maintain via the web, can synch with other services (e.g., Sprint LD), includes many of the most used numbers (hotels, airlines, rental car companies, etc.), is smarter (handles lots of exception conditiions), and stores up to four numbers for any party.
    Originally posted by franknitty69

but from what i'm hearing this can be added through software? i guess i'll have to make it then. how about an automation software as well (record your functions, then have them run, either automatically, or with specific keystrokes)?
    As I understand it, all of the functions necessary to build a voice dialing application program for the Treo 600 exist in the phone. Surely one of those 500 people who have ordered the Treo SDK will take on this project. Such an application could be even more powerful than Voice Command. On the other hand, do not expect it to be "free."
    Voice dialing and Voice Command each have their positive attributes. However, with a headset, voice dialing allows you to make a connection without ever touching the phone. Simply press the button on the headset and you get "who would you like to call." Say the name and you're connected. The phone never leaves your hip, pocket, etc. In fact, with a Bluetooth enabled phone and headset, you can be upto thirty feet away from your phone and still place a call. Needless to say, I'm hopping to see these features added in the near future.
    with BT enasbled card in t600 would one beable to terminate and place calls via sprints voice command system without touching phone???? thanks jay
    Doesn't Sprint just use * and the dial feature button? I made a speed dial feature out of mine on the 300, since the * is a blue key...makes it easier. I do pay for it...but hey, worth not getting in a wreck over.
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    with BT enasbled card in t600 would one beable to terminate and place calls via sprints voice command system without touching phone???? thanks jay
    if the phone has 'hardware' voice activated dialing, not sprint's voice command, you will be able to place a call using the call/end button on your bluetooth headset.

this is impossible with sprint's voice command because you have to dial *2 before you say the name. this means that you will have to press buttons on your phone, then press the call/end on the headset, and say name.

the treo 600 not having voice activated dialing seems to be a step backwards in the technology race.

p.s. i have downloaded the sdk. i am working on voice dialing. but i don't have a treo600. please bear with me until i acquire one.
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    voice command allows up to 500 names and 2000 numbers without using device memory. its easier to enter information and much more accurate then the voice dial phones that I've used. frankly there a pain
    Used voice command before my T6. you can sync ms outlook contact list, and everyone in my limited (about 200 names) can be dialed by voice.

I set up a one touch button on my thumboard so all I have to do is push it to get voice command (yes I still have to turn the phone on, etc.)

The outlook sync was my favorite feature. As I change things it automatically re-syncs on a daily basis.
    Mike

"Because none of us are as dumb as all of us."
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Once you use Fonix on a PPC phone or Voice Signal's technology on the SPH-i700 you will change your mind about voice dialers. These two programs are awesome. First, they automatically scan you entire addressbook, work with multiple numbers per contact, include digit dial and in the case of Voice Signal, accept voice commands to calendar, contacts, and programs. Neither requires any training and they even work with many heavy accents.

I would love to see either program ported to the Palm. Maybe we should start a thread to poll usera and collect signatures to send them. That and screen resolution are my biggest gripes. I can live without either but I sure miss the voice dial of the SX-56.
    John
    what keys do you press to get to voice command? and how do you make a "favorite" out of this? thanks
    Requirements: You must download the Handspring Treo 600 car kit application to use this product.
    The description says you have to download software. Maybe there will be voicedialing functionality included. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
    voice command to dial is just the "*" followed by talk. You can set up as a favorite or as any letter on your keyboard. In phone mode pressing Q on my keyboard connects to voice command.

Go to favorites, add a new one called "voice dial". for Number just enter *. one of the options is "Quick Key" which allows you to select any letter on the keyboard.

Thats it. Hope this helps.
    Mike

"Because none of us are as dumb as all of us."
    voice command uses no system memory, this is a real plus compared to any in phone voice dial systems. you will see this become more of the norm as other cell phone companies soon introduce similar programs.

it also a great way to protect your call list since it's maintained at Sprint and not on your device. you may lose or damage your device but not your call list.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/22/2003 at 12:48 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast