Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just received email from a contact at T-Mobile. He stated that the T-Mobile launch has been delayed to the week of November 24th! He said that the reason for the delay is that Handspring did not meet the criteria for the software on the device that T-Mobile had requested. He said that the problem is not that the current software doesn't work, it is just that T-Mobile wants more.

This is very disappointing If it weren't for my contract with T-Mobile I might have even considered moving to Sprint (ugh!).
    Last edited by silverado; 10/09/2003 at 11:04 PM.
    I received the same email.

Why should this prevent Handspring from selling the GSM version on their site to customers who already have service and are just upgrading their device?

I can understand that they can't sell a combined activation/Treo but those of us who already have service and a previous Treo should be able to purchase the device.
    From all appearances, the unlocked GSM version is still going to be released on the 13th. I wonder what this means for use of the unlocked device on the T-Mobile network.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by MHR
    From all appearances, the unlocked GSM version is still going to be released on the 13th. I wonder what this means for use of the unlocked device on the T-Mobile network.
    What makes you think so?
    Originally posted by silverado

What makes you think so?
    If you're asking why I think that the GSM version is still going to be released on the 13th, it is because it is still listed on Ingram's website as being scheduled for delivery on that date.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by MHR

If you're asking why I think that the GSM version is still going to be released on the 13th, it is because it is still listed on Ingram's website as being scheduled for delivery on that date.
    Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for being ambiguous.

I wonder if:

a) Handspring would offer the unlocked version at an upgrade price for previous Treo owners

b) One would be able to update the software on such a unit to make it on par with whatever T-Mobile's version has.
    I don't see why they wouldn't offer an unlocked version for the upgrade. That's what they did with the upgrade from the visorphone to the Treo.
    Originally posted by silverado

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for being ambiguous.

I wonder if:

b) One would be able to update the software on such a unit to make it on par with whatever T-Mobile's version has.
    That is a really good question and one that I also have. Since T-Mobile cannot even upgrade the firmware on a Sony Ericsson T610, I am not that hopeful.

Come to think of it, though, I am not so sure that there is anything that I would necessarily want that would be in T-Mobile's software. All of the useful apps would be also available non-bundled and I cannot think of what TMO offers that would be so great. Judging by T-Zones, nothing.

The real question is whether it would work on the GPRS system and it sounds like it would. Sources indicate that the delay was not due to any problem, per se, but simply that TMO was unsatisfied with the extent of software integration.
    Last edited by MHR; 10/09/2003 at 10:50 PM.
  9.    #9  
    For various rasons, I'm kind of doubting that HS would offer an unlocked version on the 13th, if one ignores for a second that Ingram lists it to be available then.

- A HS sales rep at Mission Possible told me that carriers would really hate it if they start selling unlocked phones. I imagine this would be especially true if it's done before the carriers launch the phone.

- The way the current upgrade program is setup ties buyers to cell providers, which gets HS out of the warranty repair game. If you buy an unlocked phone, you'd have to where to send it when it's defective but to HS. It's myunderstanding that HS wanted to get out of the direct retail market. That's why they are only selling phones in associationg with a carrier.

- There were multiple references to unlocked phones being in very low supply at least initially.

But, who knows what will happen.

I was actually tempted to get the Sprint version for $399 for now to quench my curiousity and then get a T-Mobile one when it comes out and sell the Sprint one on ebay. I have bought 2 270's, so I have 2 serial numbers I could use.
    Last edited by silverado; 10/09/2003 at 10:40 PM.
    Guys please dont use anyone name at TMO this could be a big issue for these guys.

thanks

Just say a source
    Another "source" at T-Mobile told me today that the delay is because of problems that the T600 has had with Orange in the UK. Apparently it is Handspring that has requested the delay whilst they resolve the issue.

It looks like the T600 is suffering the same lack of testing that plagued the prior models. I personally went through 4 T180's. 3 died from the dead speaker problem. 1 died from the Hot Sync connector.

If my situation was anywhere close to the average user, it must have cost Handspring a small fortune in providing replacements!
    Hmmmm.. I can understand that Handspring does not want to handle the warranty repair stuff, but it seems to me that they'll be stuck with doing it regardless.

The carriers know NOTHING about handsets because they don't make them. Seeing they carry a variety of handsets, I can't see them doing repairs on all of them. They'd probably send them back to handspring anyway.

I'm beginning to think that T-Mo is treating Handspring like Danger and is looking to make the Treo more "proprietary" like Sprint has done.

I think that the carriers should be made to keep an arm's length relationship with the handset makers. Cellular networks are built on published standards and handset makers should be free to create products to make CONSUMERS happy, not carriers.

One of the things that happened when AT&T was broken up was that they were required to open up the market for CPE (Customer Premises Equipment). Because that happened, you and I have the freedom to plug any brand or type of phone into your RJ-11 jack at home.

Another way to look at it is what if your cable or DSL provider forced you to use a specific brand or model computer to surf the net? I understand that many do not support oddball OSs and machines, but they do not prohibit you or actively discourage you from plugging in whatever you want if you can make it work. I feel the same should be true for Cellular networks. I don't have a problem with T-Mo providing software like most Cable and DSL providers do (I have SBC YAHOO!) but I'm not required to load their spyware/spamware onto my machine or buy my machine from them in order to use their network.

The Treo is more akin to a computer than phone. I'm left with the impression that the carriers are doing all they can to limit choice in the marketplace both in terms of handsets and opportunies for switching carriers. They don't have consumers' best interests at heart and I don't trust them.

Carriers have no business dictating features and functionality to handset makers. Unfortunately, small players like Handspring have relatively little clout with the carriers. Don't be too surprised if the Justice Department and FCC start looking into things someday.

Maybe my paranoia is getting the better of me and T-Mo may only be holding out to get the MP3 software installed, but something tells me this is related to all the hokey T-Zones stuff. I don't want it, don't need it and would be pretty ticked off to know I can't get a T600 now because of it!

Carriers have no business being the the handset distribution channel. They don't do it for wireline anymore, and hopefully they won't do it for cellular in the future.

Ok, I've spilled my guts on the subject.... Batter up!!!
    Last edited by echaban; 10/10/2003 at 12:35 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by mjw
    Another "source" at T-Mobile told me today that the delay is because of problems that the T600 has had with Orange in the UK. Apparently it is Handspring that has requested the delay whilst they resolve the issue.

It looks like the T600 is suffering the same lack of testing that plagued the prior models. I personally went through 4 T180's. 3 died from the dead speaker problem. 1 died from the Hot Sync connector.

If my situation was anywhere close to the average user, it must have cost Handspring a small fortune in providing replacements!
    But it seems that the Orange model is being sold right now. Are you saying that there are problems with the Orange model but they are selling it anyway?
    Has no one else noticed that 11/24 = number portability?
    Is T-Mo trying to get an extra month out of everyone to make sure we stick with T-Mo?
    Originally posted by echaban
    Hmmmm.. I can understand that Handspring does not want to handle the warranty repair stuff, but it seems to me that they'll be stuck with doing it regardless.

The carriers know NOTHING about handsets because they don't make them. Seeing they carry a variety of handsets, I can't see them doing repairs on all of them. They'd probably send them back to handspring anyway.

I'm beginning to think the T-Mo is treating Handspring like Danger and is looking to make the Treo more "proprietary" like Sprint has done.

I think that the carriers should be made to keep an arm's length relationship with the handset makers. Cellular networks are built on published standards and handset makers should be free to create products to make CONSUMERS happy, not carriers.

One of the things that happened when AT&T was broken up was that they were required to open up the market for CPE (Customer Premises Equipment). Because that happened, you and I have the freedom to plug any brand or type of phone into your RJ-11 jack at home.

Another way to look at it is what if your cable or DSL provider forced you to use a specific brand or model computer to surf the net? I understand that many do not support oddball OSs and machines, but they do not prohibit you or actively discourage you from plugging in whatever you want if you can make it work. I feel the same should be true for Cellular networks. I don't have a problem with T-Mo providing software like most Cable and DSL providers do (I have SBC YAHOO!) but I'm not required to load their spyware/spamware onto my machine or buy my machine from them in order to use their network.

The Treo is more akin to a computer than phone. I'm left with the impression that the carriers are doing all they can to limit choice in the marketplace both in terms of handsets and opportunies for switching carriers. They don't have consumers' best interests at heart and I don't trust them.

Carriers have no business dictating features and functionality to handset makers. Unfortunately, small players like Handspring have relatively little clout with the carriers. Don't be too surprised if the Justice Department and FCC start looking into things someday.

Maybe my paranoia is getting the better of me and T-Mo may only be holding out to get the MP3 software installed, but something tells me this is related to all the hokey T-Zones stuff. I don't want it, don't need it and would be pretty ticked off to know I can't get a T600 now because of it!

Carriers have no business being the the handset distribution channel. They don't do it for wireline anymore, and hopefully they won't do it for cellular in the future.

Ok, I've spilled my guts on the subject.... Batter up!!!
    Very well said.
    Originally posted by ksfhhllp
    Is T-Mo trying to get an extra month out of everyone to make sure we stick with T-Mo?

Been wracking my brain, but I don't see how their putting things off till the 24th helps much in that regard. What do you mean? I certainly would see no reason to switch carriers if T-Mo had the T600 now. I'm actually more inclined to switch given what I'm seeing.
    Originally posted by ksfhhllp

actually, I have a more interesting scenario....

Consider the 11/24 is quite some time after the Sprint/Handspring upgrade offer expires (10/29) and might be after, say, Cingular's plan expires.

If you look at the fine print at the bottom of this page, you'll see that Handspring is making no guarantee to offer a similar upgrade plan for T-Mo customers:

http://www.handspring.com/promos/tre...questid=163373

What if T-Mo were to reward us loyal customers by forcing us to pay full price for a T600 either with Sprint or themselves?

My paranoia is showing again!
    If T-Mo offers it now, then you begin a new 12-mo contract that ends in Oct. 2004.

If they wait until the end of November, then you begin a new 12-mo contract that ends in Dec. 2004.

You are unlikely to switch carriers between Oct. & Dec. because you want the phone. They lock you in for 12-mo just when you are most able to switch.

Ergo, they eke at least another 1.5 mos. out of current subscribers.
    I see that making sense for people who Don't have Treos currently, but those of us who do would not need to sign a contract if I understand the Handspring upgrade plan correctly.
    Its true mid november for t-mobile.... goddamn it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast