Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Godamnit I hate tmobile, there probally making us wait so they add a catalog feature and block the ability to add your own ringtones like the sidekick lol. =(
    Damn, this sucks! What a stupid move by T-Mobile!!!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by silverado
    For various rasons, I'm kind of doubting that HS would offer an unlocked version on the 13th, if one ignores for a second that Ingram lists it to be available then.

- A HS sales rep at Mission Possible told me that carriers would really hate it if they start selling unlocked phones. I imagine this would be especially true if it's done before the carriers launch the phone.

I was actually tempted to get the Sprint version for $399 for now to quench my curiousity and then get a T-Mobile one when it comes out and sell the Sprint one on ebay. I have bought 2 270's, so I have 2 serial numbers I could use.
    I don't see why T-Mo would be all that aggravated if HS would sell unlocked Treos. If you look at how they've sold units, they generally sell them together with service agreements for people who are interested in a new agreement (together with the hardward discount). Otherwise, people will continue with their existing service, and, as I understand it, T-Mo has the largest installed base of GSM/GPRS 270/180s owners. Those people, having invested in new hardware and not interested in a new contract will likely continue with their existing service and since the early adopter crowd that will be buying between the release of unlocked Treos and the release of T-Mo Treos are likely upgrade people, they don't seem to have much to lose....

As to your thoughts regarding the Sprint trial, what would you do with the service contract that you have to commit to?
    Originally posted by mjw
    Another "source" at T-Mobile told me today that the delay is because of problems that the T600 has had with Orange in the UK. Apparently it is Handspring that has requested the delay whilst they resolve the issue.
    I don't buy that for a single minute....

Orange has been selling phones for a few weeks now and I can't imagine that they are selling defective units, nor do I believe it would take so long to fix any units earmarked for the US or T-Mo channel.

Something odd is going on here, and I don't think it has anything to do with product reliability. It is far more likely to be a marketing issue, such as adding proprietary matter to the software suite or to deal with T-Mo's business plan.

On it's face, nothing else makes sense.

If T-Mo is playing with the release date because of 11/24 issues, which seems like a possibility, I think it will be unhelpful to them. Personally, I plan on buying the first GSM/GPRS unit I can get, either from T-Mo or HS. If it turns out that I have to wait because of T-Mo's 11/24 shennanigans, I'll be happy to buy from HS and more inclined to take my number elsewhere when the existing contract expires.
    Originally posted by echaban
    Maybe my paranoia is getting the better of me and T-Mo may only be holding out to get the MP3 software installed, but something tells me this is related to all the hokey T-Zones stuff. I don't want it, don't need it and would be pretty ticked off to know I can't get a T600 now because of it!

Carriers have no business being the the handset distribution channel. They don't do it for wireline anymore, and hopefully they won't do it for cellular in the future.

Ok, I've spilled my guts on the subject.... Batter up!!!
    The Tzones can be activated very very easily, i have bberry 7230 from tmo now and it took them 2 mins on phone for it to appear on my bberry, i hope like you that is not it.

On your second issue AMEN!! Most in the USA dont know how the mobile ph0one market works in the rest of the world, THE PHONES ARE NOT TIED TO ANY CARRIER, NONE ARE "LOCKED" you buy a phone, buy a sim and go no hassle no fuss, no contracts and such (now you can get a sim with a contract, but most dont.) this whole locked and proprietary thing is a USA invention, that THANK THE LORD, doesnt spread to the rest of the world cause they think its insane.
    Originally posted by silverado
    Just received email from a contact at T-Mobile. He stated that the T-Mobile launch has been delayed to the week of November 24th! He said that the reason for the delay is that Handspring did not meet the criteria for the software on the device that T-Mobile had requested. He said that the problem is not that the current software doesn't work, it is just that T-Mobile wants more.

This is very disappointing If it weren't for my contract with T-Mobile I might have even considered moving to Sprint (ugh!).

Looks like this was the only contact at T-mobile that knew anything. Its so fusterating that I got EMAIL from TMOBILE saying it would release today, and then today they NOW say its delayed until Nov 22. Why now, when this guy knew it would be delayed till end of Nov 17 days ago. Blah...

actually, I have a more interesting scenario....

Consider the 11/24 is quite some time after the Sprint/Handspring upgrade offer expires (10/29) and might be after, say, Cingular's plan expires.

If you look at the fine print at the bottom of this page, you'll see that Handspring is making no guarantee to offer a similar upgrade plan for T-Mo customers:

http://www.handspring.com/promos/tre...questid=163373

What if T-Mo were to reward us loyal customers by forcing us to pay full price for a T600 either with Sprint or themselves?

in my opinion the fine print says --H/S cann't make sure whether the carriers like ATT,cing,tmob gonna to carry the t600 but they will surely extent their update offer of treo in the case they offer t 600.

My paranoia is showing again!
    [B]
    I went ahead and purchased a Sprint T600 from HS to protect myself from the availability problems with the GSM version, the unknown pricing of the GSM version, and to get my hands on a T600 now.

My Sprint model just arrived today from HS after ordering it last Monday - one week turnaround. I'll have 14 days of risk free service with Sprint and 30 days risk free to return the T600 to HS. Even though Sprint claims the activiation fee is non-refundable, it is if you speak to a manager.

So I basically have hedged myself for the cost of outbound and return shipping, with the upside being I get to test drive Sprint's service and I get a T600 now.
    Just picked up my T600 from Sprint today. They had some in stock. I am betting Tmobile will delay and delay. Plus, I am kinda thinking faster data speed(CDMA) is better than a longer battery life(GSM). We will see.

Either way, the device is certainly unique and a bit smaller than I expected. One-handed operation is a breeze though.

Still playing with it...

-andrew
    I too thought about 'trying' a phone from sprint, but the downsides were too big.

Yeah, 14 day "Risk Free" trial. Risk free my buttocks. You have 14 days to evaluate the service. For that privilege, you pay a $36 activation fee, and a full month's service for 14 days of actual service, because once you cancel at day 14, the phone's off but you're still paying for the month. Then there's the matter of returning the phone to handspring. Hope you don't drop it or you're wedded to sprint for the duration.
    I got a '50% of my first bill' if I signed for two years. Plus, my company gets a Sprint deal of no activation charge and even 13% off of monthly plans(pays for taxes basically). So, I will pay for only my time of 14 days in the end. Returning it is no big deal either. The store is right down the road....
    well, not to give more false hope out to the gsm crew here, but i placed a call late afternoon to the HS sales line, and verbally abused some 19 year old kid in their call center until he blurted out that i should check back wednesday...he seemed good natured enough, but of course after this orgy of channel conflict that handpsring is laughingly calling a product launch, i wont hold my breath...
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Originally posted by orrgroup
    Just picked up my T600 from Sprint today. They had some in stock. I am betting Tmobile will delay and delay. Plus, I am kinda thinking faster data speed(CDMA) is better than a longer battery life(GSM). We will see.

Either way, the device is certainly unique and a bit smaller than I expected. One-handed operation is a breeze though.

Still playing with it...

-andrew
    I have done exactly the same thing, and the phone should arrive by Wednesday. Let's keep in touch, and maybe start a thread for eval from people who made the same switch/test.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I know things which will happen in the future, and Wednesday is the day for unlocked GSM. After I order mine on Wed., I should be ablet to compare the two ...side by side (signal strength in my house, data rate, etc....). I get the best of both worlds, with this delay (can't believe I'm looking on the bright side of things!).
    Coyote,

a) 14 days of Sprint service is free if you cancel - not sure why you think you need to pay for a full-months after canceling, b) simple negotiating tactics can get you out of the $36 activation fee - i would recommend speaking to a manager, preferably in person at a Sprint store, c) Sprint T600 insurance (which will also be free once/if Sprint contract is canceled) covers any unforseen damage during the 14 days.

So again, the only exposure is shipping costs. HS has also confirmed that my serial # can be used alternatively on the GSM model whould I choose to return the Sprint one.

Given the unknowns on GSM availability and pricing, plus the perks of test driving Sprint and having the T600 now, that's a pretty attractive hedge play, imo.
  16. MrH
    Hmmmm.. I can understand that Handspring does not want to handle the warranty repair stuff, but it seems to me that they'll be stuck with doing it regardless.

The carriers know NOTHING about handsets because they don't make them. Seeing they carry a variety of handsets, I can't see them doing repairs on all of them. They'd probably send them back to handspring anyway.

I'm beginning to think that T-Mo is treating Handspring like Danger and is looking to make the Treo more "proprietary" like Sprint has done.

I think that the carriers should be made to keep an arm's length relationship with the handset makers. Cellular networks are built on published standards and handset makers should be free to create products to make CONSUMERS happy, not carriers.

One of the things that happened when AT&T was broken up was that they were required to open up the market for CPE (Customer Premises Equipment). Because that happened, you and I have the freedom to plug any brand or type of phone into your RJ-11 jack at home.

Another way to look at it is what if your cable or DSL provider forced you to use a specific brand or model computer to surf the net? I understand that many do not support oddball OSs and machines, but they do not prohibit you or actively discourage you from plugging in whatever you want if you can make it work. I feel the same should be true for Cellular networks. I don't have a problem with T-Mo providing software like most Cable and DSL providers do (I have SBC YAHOO!) but I'm not required to load their spyware/spamware onto my machine or buy my machine from them in order to use their network.

The Treo is more akin to a computer than phone. I'm left with the impression that the carriers are doing all they can to limit choice in the marketplace both in terms of handsets and opportunies for switching carriers. They don't have consumers' best interests at heart and I don't trust them.

Carriers have no business dictating features and functionality to handset makers. Unfortunately, small players like Handspring have relatively little clout with the carriers. Don't be too surprised if the Justice Department and FCC start looking into things someday.

Maybe my paranoia is getting the better of me and T-Mo may only be holding out to get the MP3 software installed, but something tells me this is related to all the hokey T-Zones stuff. I don't want it, don't need it and would be pretty ticked off to know I can't get a T600 now because of it!

Carriers have no business being the the handset distribution channel. They don't do it for wireline anymore, and hopefully they won't do it for cellular in the future.

Ok, I've spilled my guts on the subject.... Batter up!!!

VERY well said! I second the motion :-)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12