View Poll Results: The reason you WON'T buy a Treo 600

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 160x160 screen?! NO WAY for me to go with that!

11 44.00%
  • What's with the ridiculously crappy camera?! Fix that b4 give me a 1.3M pixel one

8 32.00%
  • Where the hell is bluetooth?

9 36.00%
  • Why on earth do they not have BLACK for GSM ?!

9 36.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok guys we all know how treo600 is next to perfect.. if not completely perfect. now let's start the bashing time & have some fun: if there's a reason u WON't buy a treo600, what would it be? let's hear it!
    too late, I already bought one!
    I was very tempted to buy one..and probably will later..but not now.

Biggest reason - don't want to pay for it. Already paid $300 for my t300 and even though it sucks sometimes, it's good enough for me and not bad enough to justify spending another $200.

1. New phone is evolutionary, not revolutionary
    2. No bluetooth
    3. Crappy camera
    4. Nicer form factor, but not slim or light enough
    5. Screen resolution ain't all that great
    im with crappy verizon and was suckered into a 2 year deal.

Damn you verizon and your crappy phone selection!
    Great place to get your cd's converted into 4.1 dts audio.
    http://www.4dot1.com
    Simply because THEY DONT SELL THE PHONE GSM VERSION
    Originally posted by chuhsi
    1. New phone is evolutionary, not revolutionary
    I think that is still yet to be determined ... don't you think some of the definition of "revolutionary" has to do with how people react to the product? I mean, the Treo 300 is still a niche product - relatively unknown to the general public ... will the Treo 600 make "Treo" a household name?
    After reading the gripes, I was just thinking why don't they make a silver one for CDMA! I just ordered my Sprint phone, and wish I could have a silver one.

I guess we all just want what we don't have, regardless of which is better The grass is always....
    Because of the delayed release date by T-Mobile - I may look at the Ericsson P900 since it is suppose to also be out by then - and I already have the Ericsson chat board for their phones, hopefully it's compatible and that solves the keyboard issue. With the time the GSM has been in testing and already released in Europe, there is no reason for T-Mobile to pull this, they should have done this two months ago so that it would be ready for launch. OK - enough venting -
    I won't get one because I can't. By the time a Canadian carrier decides to release it, people will be getting PDAs implanted into their brain with the dispaly projected directly on the retina.
    Because it has a camera! Not because the camera is low res. I would love to buy a 600, but cannot have a camera in my possession at work, thus no sale.
    Oops! I screwed up and bought one.

Darn me!
    Took at look at it yesterday at the local Sprint store...

I did not buy it and will not because it is to large and to heavy. In fact, I am suprised not more people have the same gripe. I guess most are just happy to beable to upgrade from their 300's.

I also took a look at the SPH i500 while I was in there, and can't wait for their next generation phone. If Handspring/Palm does not get the form factor down to a size that "non-geeks" will want to use, they are never going to win the smartphone wars.
    Originally posted by geralds
    After reading the gripes, I was just thinking why don't they make a silver one for CDMA! I just ordered my Sprint phone, and wish I could have a silver one.

I guess we all just want what we don't have, regardless of which is better The grass is always....
    Agree on this one. I'm with Sprint so I don't have a choice. But all silver definitely looks better imo.
    Took at look at it yesterday at the local Sprint store...

I did not buy it and will not because it is to large and to heavy. In fact, I am suprised not more people have the same gripe. I guess most are just happy to beable to upgrade from their 300's.

I also took a look at the SPH i500 while I was in there, and can't wait for their next generation phone. If Handspring/Palm does not get the form factor down to a size that "non-geeks" will want to use, they are never going to win the smartphone wars.
    I'm concerned that a newer version with built-in bluetooth support might be released within a comparatively short time frame (6 months?). I just read awhile back that the phone already has a space on the circuit board for a BT chip, and this is a likely upgrade.

Also, I want to wait for number portability.
    Three reasons:

1) I don't need a cell phone. I needed one because I make personal long distance calls occationally from my office. Now the phone cards from http://www.1stphonecard.com are so cheap, so convenient to purchase and no any hidden charges such as maintenance fee, connection fee, etc. These phone cards do fax too while my Treo 300 can't. Bye bye to $45 monthly payment that I rarely take use of.

2) I don't need a PDA. I do need an organizer and an organizer like Sharp OZ-590 for only $50 does my organizer work better than any Palm devices - small, light and single AAA lasts forever. I must say Tro 600 is the best Palm device though. For the $400 upgrading, I do get the best PDA and I can remove easily the antenna. Again, a $50 OZ-590 does all my job, so why spend $400? I have a OZ-590 related article here: http://www.fixup.net/tips/organizer

3) I do need a pocket computer, but then the Samsung Nexio S160 is far more powerful than Treo 600 for this work. http://www.samsungelectronics.com.hk/pda/s160.html
    Last edited by Fixup; 10/10/2003 at 03:46 PM.
    i thought it was gonna go for 499.99.
    Originally posted by jo2k
    Ok guys we all know how treo600 is next to perfect.. if not completely perfect. now let's start the bashing time & have some fun: if there's a reason u WON't buy a treo600, what would it be? let's hear it!
    Because too many of the 270 applications that I have come to rely upon will not work on it. Appears to me to be one more product developed in the Ivory Tower. The developers do not seem to know how users would like to use the product. I am very disappointed by the many key applications that will not run. I do not understand what OS 5 delivers that justifies all of the incompatibilities. What problem were they trying to solve that justifies so many orphan applications?
    Originally posted by whmurray

Because too many of the 270 applications that I have come to rely upon will not work on it. Appears to me to be one more product developed in the Ivory Tower. The developers do not seem to know how users would like to use the product. I am very disappointed by the many key applications that will not run. I do not understand what OS 5 delivers that justifies all of the incompatibilities. What problem were they trying to solve that justifies so many orphan applications?
    whmurray:

What are some of those applications?
    Originally posted by silverado

whmurray:

What are some of those applications?
    Understand that w/o investing in one, I cannot be sure; I have to rely on the reports here. Those reports include that OS 5 breaks most PQAs, specifically including Directory Assistant; it breaks Launcher X, the Adobe Reader, PdaNet, VeriChat, and Jot. Before I decided that I did not want to give up the PQAs, I concluded that anything hardware related probably could not be safely migrated. This does not even include things like MarknDial that are necessary to integrate phone apps with PDA and web apps or all of the tweaks like Treohelper that are 270 specific.

I do understand that some of these have workarounds or (priced) fixes. However, the net is that these reports have destroyed my confidence that I can migrate without loss of present function and spending more on the migration than the value of the new device and apps. The 600 appears to me to be more for new users than it is a migration path for Treo 270 users.

I have trashed one nice-to-have database to buy me back 2megs of slack on the 270.

I should also note that, so far, no one has offered to sell me, or anyone else, the GSM version or even to take my order. It is easy to say that I am not going to buy what no one appears to be willing to sell me.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/11/2003 at 12:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast