1.    #1  
    I am sooooooo jazzed right now I can't believe it. I love my new converged device. after a full charge it has been running for about an hour. This keyboard is so tiny, but seems to work better as you type. I have been tempted to use fingernils, but it works just as well with my clunky thumbs. I have been able to access my aol mail from the new portal on pcs vision, but still expect I will access it via the downloaded 3.1 software, it seems faster that way. I truly feel like the alphageek. Any questions fire away.

Jeff
    Last edited by Snowracer; 10/09/2003 at 05:58 PM.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by Snowracer
    I am sooooooo jazzed right now I can't believe it. I love my new converged device. after a full charge it has been running for about an hour. This keyboard is so tiny, but seems to work better as you type. I have been tempted to use fingernils, but it works just as well with my clunky thumbs. I have been able to access my aol mail from the new portal on pcs vision, but still expect I will access it via the downloaded 3.1 software, it seems faster that way. I truly feel like the alphageek. Any questions fire away.

Jeff
    How is the 600 in reception in low signal area compared to the 300?

What about RBOD battery drain? Has that been fixed?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by newtreouser

Well, the only comparison I can give at the moment was that occasionally, while at my desk, my signal on the 300 would drop to 1 bar and occasionally disconnect. The 600 does not do that, as a matter of fact, I have walked all through the office, and didnt lose my signal.

I am sorry, please define RBOD.... It has run since about 4PM today, it is now 12PM, and the battery indicator has only slightly diminished, if that is what you are asking.
    Jeff
    I've got to say that i'm impressed with the signal thus far. I was in a hospital earlier today where I usually would not get a signal with my old Sanyo 8100. I was able to receive calls without any problems with the Treo 600 in areas where I normally did not receive a signal.

The only problem I have had is that I carry the phone naked in my front left pocket. I have had the SD card pop out twice (only partially). That was over a period of about 8 hours of constant movement on my feet. Oh yea, and an occasional reset (ghost in the machine).

I love the keyboard. I came from an IPAQ 5450 and I'm not going back.

-christopher
    Signal is ok, I'm still missing analog from time to time and it feels like my I300 had a better signal with the extended antenna.

I'll see how things go after days.

Love the device though: it is convergence nirvana as far as I'm concerned.
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    There's been no difference in signal for me, and that is a bummer. My new house has a very weak signal from Sprint (on/off connectivity). The Treo 600 performs exactly the same as my old 300. I would be surprised if anyone sees any significant improvement in reception.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff!

Congratulations on your new Treo 600!!!!!!

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying it so much!!!!!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    I have been pleased with the reception. Going from a StarTac I have been able to receive calls in areas the StarTac would not be abe to connect.
    Generally, the reception seems on par with my Samsung A500 (firmware upgraded), which was probably a 8/10. However, in it seems better in low-reception areas. I got a call from a heavily shielded room, where the A500 loses signal.

I love it so far.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by christopher
    I've got to say that i'm impressed with the signal thus far. I was in a hospital earlier today where I usually would not get a signal with my old Sanyo 8100. I was able to receive calls without any problems with the Treo 600 in areas where I normally did not receive a signal.
    Not to be a twit, but aren't you supposed to NOT use a phone inside a hospital? All the ones around me have signs and staff will always tell you to go outside to use it.
    Originally posted by njchris

Not to be a twit, but aren't you supposed to NOT use a phone inside a hospital? All the ones around me have signs and staff will always tell you to go outside to use it.
    It depends on the hospital and where in the hospital you are. I've used my cell phone from a Labor & Delivery Department after my kids were born, for example.
  12.    #12  
    As a medical device salesman, I spend a lot of time in hospitals, and most of them post signs that ask you not to use a cellphone, especially in the surgery department (for the same reasons you should not use one near a gas pump...........the explosive gases), but many do not post it.........

I have made it habit, I turn off the radio when I walk into a hospital......

As an interesting sidebar, I found a new use for the T600 camera, I only wish I had it in hand 3 weeks ago. We modified one of my products during surgery, to make it work better for the surgeon, and it sure would have been great to have taken a picture of it right there in surgery, instead of having to sit down afterwards and draw it........

Thanks Jake, by the way, as you are one of the biggest reason I got so hooked on Teocentral. I would like to see every new product launch from our company happen the way this one did, it would sure give us a clue regarding whether or not the product would take off or not........

Thanks to everyone here for all I have learned, I feel I am headed to my conference tomorrow knowing all there is to know about the T600, oh, and I especially like ZAP2016........
    Jeff
    Originally posted by newtreouser

Well, the only comparison I can give at the moment was that occasionally, while at my desk, my signal on the 300 would drop to 1 bar and occasionally disconnect. The 600 does not do that, as a matter of fact, I have walked all through the office, and didnt lose my signal.

I am sorry, please define RBOD.... It has run since about 4PM today, it is now 12PM, and the battery indicator has only slightly diminished, if that is what you are asking.
    RBOD - Red Blink of Death. Here's how you can test this on the Treo 600: Take the Treo somewhere where there is no radio signal and the Treo goes off the Sprint network. Leave it there for about 30 minutes. Now move it to an area with signal and see if it comes back on the Sprint network. The Treo 300 would not come back on the network without a soft reset. This was a big problem that was never solved even after two firmware updates by Handspring. Let's hope this isn't the case with the new 600.
    I heard the camera on the 600 was horrible. Is this true? I don't expect it to be on par with a stand-alone digi cam, but is it usabe for creating picture caller ID or taking decent pictures for MMS stuff?
  15.    #15  
    Thanks Stuart,

Hmmm, thats a new term definition for me, but, in fact, I am familiar with it. This problem has happened to me, but oddly enough, not at home or in a building, it has happened while driving, I think anyway. It happenes usually when I have driven a long distance, and I have travled into, out of, and into another cell, with poor to no signal quality bewteen them. I sometimes found that I had to do a soft reset with the T300. I will go through the same neck of the woods I have had problems with in the past, in about 10 days. It will be interesting to see if the RBOD goes away.
    Jeff
  16.    #16  
    The camera is not like my Sony 5 megapixel DSC-F707 by any stretch of the imagination, but I never expected it to be. I have that camera for the times when I need a real camera. In my opinion, the T600 camera is a novelty. You definitely need a lot of light to take a good picture. It would have been fine in the well lit OR, or outside, and, I suspect that now that folks have them on thier phones, we will see a lot of uses for them, just because we always have them in our pockets. IMHO, a flash would have made it far more usable, but so would blue tooth, a hi rez screen, a 20 gig hard drive, oh wait, are we talkin about my laptop?
    Jeff
    Originally posted by zoomer777
    I heard the camera on the 600 was horrible. Is this true? I don't expect it to be on par with a stand-alone digi cam, but is it usabe for creating picture caller ID or taking decent pictures for MMS stuff?
    There's a thread with a bunch of pictures taken from it. Basically it comes down to lighting conditions. At least you realize it's not a stand-alone and won't be taking great pictures to begin with.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t37389/s.html
    There is no prohibition against cell phone usage in the hospital I was at. I'm down there several times a month and this is the first time I ever got a signal (first time down there with my T600).

Trust me, I respect the excellent job our emergency room physicians and nurses do and would respect any wishes they had regarding cell phone usage. There is just no policy at this hospital.

-christopher
    Snowracer,
    I am curious about the silent alarm, is it stronger than the 300. i am hoping so.
  20.    #20  
    Well, I would have to say it is..............85% of the T300 vibrator.

I used the silent feature of the T300 quite a bit, especially useful in a conference room or during a presentation. If this phone is not against my skin (like in my shirt pocket), I have a feeling I may miss a few calls. The ringer volume, however, is much louder, so, if the phone is in my jeans change pocket (you know that little pocket....), and i have the vibrate function and the ringer turned on, I have a feeling I wont miss a thing.

Time will tell, I have only had it a day now, and it hasnt rung that many times.

I will be working a booth, in a noisy convention center, on Monday and Tuesday, that ought to give it a professional workout (many hours without charging, usually convention centers have poor signal strength, and they are very noisy, and monday is the day it rings more than any other day).

I will pass along more fb Monday and Tuesday evenings (geesh, I can do it at the show cant I.....unless my boss thinks it playing and not working....., I guess I do get a lunch break....)
    Jeff