1.    #1  
    BTW one detail I haven't heard mentioned here yet is how much improved the T600 is in allowing for custom MIDI ringtones.

You can use Blazer 3 to go to any site having .MID files (a great free one is www.mididb.com) and you can download these files through Blazer 3 directly onto the T600 file system.

If you choose to open the file from Blazer, it will allow you to manage this as a midi file on the device. Go into Sound preferences for the phone application and, without hotsyncing to a PC, downloading a program like TC Ringer, or doing any other magic tricks, you should be able to choose the MIDI file to be your ringtone.

I've successfully done this with the full "Looney Tunes" theme, "Mission Impossible" and also "James Bond". Downloaded from Blazer directly onto the T600 the full song, not just 10 secs of it.
    If only someone will write a program to allow Mp3s as ringtones... how sweet that would be (and shouldn't be impossible either!).
    You beat me to it. Was going to ask if mp3's can be used for ring tones. Man that would rock.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

4.    #4  
    That would be tough or impossible, as the two file formats represent music differently -- MP3 as a compressed stream, MIDI as instruments and tones played with that instrument. Would be very challenging or impossible to do for an MP3, which is I think why it hasn't been done.
    The sound API is available from Handspring, so a 3rd party app could do this.

Any takers?
    Originally posted by scoopman
    That would be tough or impossible, as the two file formats represent music differently -- MP3 as a compressed stream, MIDI as instruments and tones played with that instrument. Would be very challenging or impossible to do for an MP3, which is I think why it hasn't been done.
    My, non-programmer, thought is that it would be a simple trigger... for example, when the phone rings, certain things are triggered (screen lights up, caller ID displayed, photo-id displayed) so why can't it trigger the playing of an MP3? Taking it a step further, if it can display a specific picture based upon caller id, shouldn't it be able to play a specific Mp3.

Again, I don't know...I'm just hoping!
    No, I think you're right, all that needs to happen is for an app to tie in well enough with the phone app to be able to quickly call up the mp3, and play it fast enough. It would probably help for the mp3 file to be very small, maybe just a clip of a song rather than a whole song, because if your Treo has to sit there for 5 or 6 seconds loading an mp3, the caller will have already been shunted off to voicemail before you ever hear the phone ring.

Hey, can I beam midi files from my Treo 600 to my girlfriend's (my old) Treo 300, and if so, will her Treo 300 be able to use those beamed midi files as ringtones?
    Most of the midi files on mididb seem to be old monophonic and sound terrible.

Does anyone know of a free site with polyphonic midi files on it?
    I thought the Pocket PC Phone Edition could use MP3's as ringtones. A friend of mine has one and uses an MP3 that I sent him (someone impersonating Arnold Schwarzenegger doing a prank call to a pizza shop) as his ringtone, though I'm not sure if he converted it to another format...
    Originally posted by slffl
    Most of the midi files on mididb seem to be old monophonic and sound terrible.

Does anyone know of a free site with polyphonic midi files on it?
    Go to the regular sites for PCS Vision phones (i.e. 3gwiz.com, 3gupload.com).
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    3gwiz appears to be $10 to join. 3gupload didn't even list the treo when I tried to sign up, so I don't even know what they offer or if it's free or not.

Like slffl, I was wondering if anybody knows any free sites?
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    3gwiz appears to be $10 to join. 3gupload didn't even list the treo when I tried to sign up, so I don't even know what they offer or if it's free or not.

i saw the Treo 600 at 3gupload yesterday....
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Jenny, 3gwiz has thousands of free ringers and images. Just visit the site by your handset...go to: http://3gwiz.com/wap/

Originally posted by jennyfur

OK I did find it in 3gupload's list. You have to choose SprintPCS as the provider first (gee, hope nobody with an Orange one was interested...).

But it's still really a pain to have to register in order to even see what the heck they offer or if it's free or not. Doesn't anybody just have a link to a site similar to mididb.com?
    Originally posted by gmsmith21
    Jenny, 3gwiz has thousands of free ringers and images. Just visit the site by your handset...go to: http://3gwiz.com/wap/

But on their main page (not from the wap address) they state that for the Treo 600:
    "Due to limitations of the operating system on the device, QCP files are not supported. So when downloading ringers, be sure to use the ringers with the musical note next to them."

In the wap interface they don't seem to list them differently... the first 3 I checked (going to the wap address from my computer, not the device) were all QCP files....unless I just didn't look hard enough for the ones with musical notes next to them.
    Jenny, you brought up a good point, I will make that an urgent modification for the WAP side based on the header of the Treo, you will only see midi noted music files.

Greg
    First Post: check out www.musicrobot.com. it's a search engine for free midi tones. i use it to feed my Nokia 3650. i save them on the SD card. hoping that i can do the same as soon as i grab a GSM Treo 600 when it comes out.

hope this helps.