1.    #1  
    OK Sprint folks, so we don't have a built-in email application. If we consult our manuals looking for answers, we find this: "If nothing happens when you choose an email address on a Web page, you probably do not have an email application that supports this feature. Try downloading and installing Handspring's Mail application from www.handspring.com.Ē

After a visit there, we find out that Sprint Business Connection (not yet available, not sure when) is one of the options along with other PAY applications. GSM customers, however, have the luxury of built-in email that they donít have to pay for. Now, this is obviously due to Sprintís greed in trying to milk folks for $5/month to sign up for Business Connect, which many donít need. Eudora is available, of course, but itís rather antiquated and doesnít support 5-way navigation.

Anyone that has used the CDMA emulator will recall that Handspringís mail application was indeed available and worked well. Viewing the ďAboutĒ page shows ďMail v1.0Ē

Frankly, this is ridiculous. I do like SnapperMail, but intentionally leaving an email application off of a $600 phone to drum up your monthly email program charges is bad business. Anyone have the knowledge to somehow extract the mail app from the emulator and make it usuable on the Sprint 600ís?
    From my last talk with them, Handspring still plans to have the GSM email program available to ALL treo owners to download. It will probably happen with the GSM release.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I should have access to a GSM T600 next week again, and first thing I plan to do is to try and beam off of it the Camera program (a different one than "Pictures" on the Sprint version), and to a lesser priority, Mail.

I will prob use Snapper anyhow, but good to have a backup mail app...
    >> this is obviously due to Sprintís greed in trying to milk folks for
    >> $5/month to sign up for Business Connect, which many donít
    >> need. Eudora is available, of course, but itís rather antiquated
    >> and doesnít support 5-way navigation.

grim02, at first I thought I agreed with your point, but then I thought about it more....the reason Eudora is "rather antiquated" has to do with the fact that it was free, and therefore not generating revenue for Qualcomm, and therefore they didn't innovate on the product. If Sprint charges $5 for Business Connect, then you should expect functionality and innovation from it. They're promising that in this release, so we'll see if they deliver....But I don't think we should be surprised if it costs something to get a good application. No one is shocked that SnapperMail or Visto charge money for their email applications...If they didn't they'd go out of business! If Handspring is bundling email into the GSM phone for "free", then the cost still ends up being borne by the end-user at some point -- or you just end up with a mediocre product eventually....
  5.    #5  
    lakeside-

I am totally with you - charging money for enhanced functionality is of course what the software developement buisness is all about! I use several of the mentioned applications, and will try out BC for my work e-mail (need an email redirector for my always-on PC). What I am upset about is that Sprint intentionally left off the mail application that every other version of the 600 gets so the only out of the box option (after a download from the conveniently place "Get BC" icon in the home screen) is Sprint's own $5/month client.

The emulator has the bare bones POP client that works better than Eudora and uses the 5-way nav button. Handspring developed this email application in-house and Sprint specifically had them remove it.

I also still like and use Eudora (scroll up then down again to read your email), just a little burned to see it on the emulator only to have it removed so Sprint could pull in some extra revenue. Oh well, that's business - $10/month for unlimited data has to get paid for somehow, I guess...
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by scoopman
    I should have access to a GSM T600 next week again, and first thing I plan to do is to try and beam off of it the Camera program (a different one than "Pictures" on the Sprint version), and to a lesser priority, Mail.

I will prob use Snapper anyhow, but good to have a backup mail app...
    On the Sprint version, most of the applications (including "Pictures") have the lovely lock icon next to the program in the beam screen, not allowing you to do this...I wonder if there is a way around this...
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by grim02

On the Sprint version, most of the applications (including "Pictures") have the lovely lock icon next to the program in the beam screen, not allowing you to do this...I wonder if there is a way around this...
    There is... Can't for the life of me remeber where the program is, or if it would even work on an OS 5 handheld.. but way back when, someone beamed me a proggy which supposedly allowed you to unlock apps. I'll dig for it, but who knows if I'll find it.. I think I had it on my Palm IIIc, which I haven't used for two years, and has lost it's battery power by now.
    FileZ, available at most if not all Palm software sites. It does work with OS 5.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek