1. pan
    I'm currently a T-Mobile customer considering switching to Sprint and a Treo 600. I had a few quick questions however:

1) I see alot of comments on the Sprint 300 board discussing how you cannot receive calls when transferring data. Is this still the case with the 600? This is not a problem using T-Mobile and the Sidekick.

2) How reliable is Vision? I also see quite a few posts mentioning vision being down. Does this happen often, and when it does is it everywhere or just in a small area?

3) Anyone with experience using a sidekick care to do a quick comparison? On the pro side I see that the 600 is much better form factor for phone use and has many more programs available. On the minus side, smaller screen and keyboard.

Pan
    This isn't a direct answer to your questions... but I was wondering why you don't just wait for the T-mobile version Treo 600 to come out? That way you could keep your phone # and maybe even your contract. I have my current Treo through them and will be upgrading to the 600 as soon as its available (which rumor has it, will be next week. even if it's a week or 2 later I can wait that long). If you just don't like T-mobile service or have bad coverage then I can understand why. Just curious though.
  3. pan
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    ...I was wondering why you don't just wait for the T-mobile version Treo 600 to come out?
    Two main reasons:

1) In order to use a Treo on TMobile I'll need to switch plans (I'm not under contract) to a more expensive plan. I found out that while Sprint's base 300min+vision plan is the same price as the equivilent one from TMobile, I can get a 20% employee discount from Sprint due to where I work.

2) Possibly cheaper through Sprint with a one year contract than going through TMobiles upgrade dept.

Pan
    Originally posted by pan

1) I see alot of comments on the Sprint 300 board discussing how you cannot receive calls when transferring data. Is this still the case with the 600? This is not a problem using T-Mobile and the Sidekick.

2) How reliable is Vision? I also see quite a few posts mentioning vision being down. Does this happen often, and when it does is it everywhere or just in a small area?
    1) Calls go directly to voicemail when I'm using Vision.

2) FWIW, in the 20 hours that I've had the 600 I haven't had any problems.
    At least with Treo 300, you still receive calls while using vision. Though, I suppose if you're briefly in a poor reception area, or it's vigorously using vision, it might switch to voicemail. But then you get a chime that you've got voicemail, so you don't miss it by much. Used to be voicemessage notification was completely unreliable, but it's been good in the last few years. Then again, you currently have incoming calls switched to voice mail if you are ringing another number and the party hasn't answered yet.

I don't recall vision ever being down in NYC--though the network is busy once in a while. Even with the NYC blackout last month, I was quickly able to the the NYTimes website and find out what happened, when everyone else was in the dark (sorry couldn't help myself). Sounds like a great Sprint commerical in the making.
    I just tried calling my Sidekick and Treo 600 three times each while they were loading web pages, and the results were equally mixed: each unit forwarded me to voicemail twice while the page was loading.

Interestingly, while the devices are sending the request for the web page, the calls come through.

I seem to remember my TMo rep telling me that the Sidekick works in either GPRS or GSM mode, but not both simultaneously, and my experience with the SK over the last year bears this out (the SK automatically stays in GPRS as much as possible, only switching to GSM when there's an incoming call; once you hang up, it switches back to GPRS).

Still, having spent the day comparing both devices, I much prefer the 600. It gives me all the features the SK lacks, and I've already gotten pretty fast on the keyboard.

And the camera really isn't THAT bad

BTW, thanks to TreoCentral for getting me the 600 within 24 hours of me ordering it Wednesday morning!

TC and the 600 both rock
    If you use cameras for any kind of work the camers IS THAT bad. It is the worst. ALSO

Sprint is vastly inferior to tmo IMHO. I am taking back my sprint treo 600 to the store where I bought it RIGHT NOW. I'll wait for the TMO version with baited breath.
    You can have a Vison connection and still get voice calls. HOWEVER, if the Vision connection is transfering data (the arrows are green, not grey) at the time the voice call tries to hit, it will go stright to voice mail.
    my 2-cents worth, Matt Burkhard
    I've had both the sidekick and Treo 300. Here's a few observations.

- T-mo service was quite spotty everywhere but the major valley. (Salt Lake City area)

- I actually preferred the treo keyboard to the sidekick. My thumbs had to travel further to type on the sidekick. I could type faster on the treo.

- Wanted basic apps like splashid, splashshopper, etc. Sidekick is just now starting to get third party apps.

- The sidekick can multitask much better and has the advantage of the serverside config so you get email pushed to you and webcontent proxied.