1.    #1  
    Or can one be downloaded for free?
    Doesn't appear so
    You can either use a number of different applications available for personal email (POP, IMAP, etc) such as SnapperMail, Eudora, TreoMail, Sprint Business Connection Personal Edition, Visto MessageXpress, etc.

Or you can use Goodlink 2.1 for Exchange Server integration with complete security behind a firewall and wireless synchronization of everything (calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, personal and public folders, etc)

There's a place called www.treo600.net that is now offering a Treo600 for $389 after rebate and service credit from Sprint. They also offer Goodlink software evaluations for qualified corporate customers.
  4.    #4  
    does sprint offer one for free? If so anyone have a link?
    My T600 had no email app on the ROM or on the CD. I had a Get BC (Business Connection) icon for downloading Business Connection over the air (very cool feature).

My suggestion for a freebie is Eudora Mail. I use SnapperMail so I have not tried Eudora on the T600 but it should be fine.

http://www.eudora.com
    Sorry for the lack of clarity on the last message...

Business Connection software comes with every Treo 600 from Sprint PCS. You can use Personal Edition if it's just you and want to connect with IMAP or POP types. Otherwise, you can try Enterprise Edition or Managed Edition, but I've read a few notes describing some service outages for Business Connection today.

So, all in all, I would say it's OK to rely on Business Connection for individual use, but not for corporate and secure functionality. Goodlink is the recommended choice by Handspring for the enterprise.

[advertisement removed, see PM]
    >> I would say it's OK to rely on Business Connection for
    >> individual use, but not for corporate and secure
    >> functionality. Goodlink is the recommended choice by
    >> Handspring for the enterprise.

I checked with Handspring, and that's not true. Handspring doesn't have a single "recommended choice" -- if you look at their site, you'll see they recommend *several* options for corporate email -- for individuals or the whole enterprise -- including Sprint Business Connection, and Good.