Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought a treo 600 yesterday, at the sprint store in XXXXXX, IL. VERY nicely made. Sprint service however is a joke. Have had T-mo for the last 9 months. FLAWLESS around Chicago. Half the time since I've had the treo it doesnt ring, and my customers are getting voicemail immediately. Cannot get a phone call while the browser is on. Once again, whats the point?

ALSO, in the last 24 hours, the sprint "vision"services have been down and unable to do anything with the browser. Got on today, and you must be a rocket scientist.

PLUS, if your used to using SMS all the time quickly and easily, forget about it. to use SPRINT SMS, you must log into a web site, find the right conduit, and maybe get a message through. Sorry, I couldnt tell you how good it is, because its been down for maintenance for the last 18 hours.

Camera is an ABSOLUTE JOKE, even for a phone. Its basically unuseable, even as a toy.

My friend Jesse has a moto camera phone, that takes pictures that look like a friggin mapplethrope compared to the Treo.

Today this phone goes back, as does my months long dream of an integrated phone/PDA. What a waste of time, not to mention the months of following/hoping/praying/waiting for this device to come out.

Back to Nokia.
    With the exception of the camera, it sounds like your beef is with Sprint, not the 600. You've been thrilled with TMO...

Why don't you just do like me, and wait for the GSM version. Granted, the camera will be the same, but otherwise you'll be happy with TMO again.
  3.    #3  
    My main beef is that I cannot use the browser and then have a call come in. With Tmo, that isnt a problem. Does anyone know if the 600 GSM will over come that. There are lots of small quirks with the phone I didnt mention, but I am willing to live with some. I am an appraiser, however, and was looking forward to at least a useable camera.

We all have or reasons right?
    I am able to receive calls while the browser and or the data services are being accessed. I have not tried using the 600 as a modem yet, but from what I've seen with other phones you will not be able to make or receive calls when it is in that mode.

Not sure when but two way SMS is coming to SPCS. Being that I have never had it, I don't miss it. Totall agree that SPCS is lagging in that department.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    It would be helpful to get a warning that a call is coming in when surfing the web and be able to interrupt the surf-session. But that is not the way 1xRTT works. CDMA service has a few quirks.

Regarding the camera, camera phones are not yet being billed as anything more than a fun accessory. There are a few 1.3Mpixels cameras emerging - perhaps this is what you need.

Farewell.
  6.    #6  
    I actually use SMS to communicate with my office staff when on inspections, and trust me, once you get used to using it, it's like anything else, impossible to stop. I dont want to have to take 7 minutes everytime, I need to send one simple message.

Sprint claims that SMS is coming sometime in November, but if you ask them if they HAVE it when your buying the phone, the answer is YES. They dont mention it takes like 30 minutes to send a message.
    Similar problems re not being able to receive calls while data is active exists on the Treo 300 but NOT the 270. This is a known limitation with the vision network. Wait for the GSM version on T-Mobile or you'll be throwing the baby out with the bath water.
  8.    #8  
    I agree. If Tmo fixes this, it would make a WORLD of difference. As I said this is a VERY nice unit. The build would be like comparing the Tungsten T3 to an original palm 1000. Not even in the same league.
    Originally posted by B2267
    I agree. If Tmo fixes this, it would make a WORLD of difference. As I said this is a VERY nice unit. The build would be like comparing the Tungsten T3 to an original palm 1000. Not even in the same league.
    If you look carefully at the F.A.Q on handspring.co.uk it explains that the GSM version will indeed notify you of incoming calls whilst browsing and you can choose to answer and put the browsing on hold, or send to voicemail. (browsing continues once call is finished.)
    With all due respect, I think the original PalmPilots were built quite well, thank you very much. Sure, they were plastic, but they were built well. Built in the good old US of A, too.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    are all your phones defective or something? I can get calls while browsing, pcs hasnt been down since like ever, my camera isn't as bad as you guys say it is, my phone rings and no one gets my mailbox unless i click ignore or miss a call, and as for SMS wait til Nov. , and even though i have to connect to the internet to do it, its REALLY fast, not broadband, but much much much better than my 300.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    I have a strange feeling based on some of the posts here that Sprint has been selling their test units and it may be that the very first batch that went out contained many of these. The evidence I saw here was talk of at least two unsealed boxes with missing power adapters, a device with all but one ring tone deleted (fixed with a hard reset), and several with bad speakers. If this is really the case (and it seems that it is at least for the open cases), Spring is pulling a real nasty one here.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    are all your phones defective or something? I can get calls while browsing, pcs hasnt been down since like ever, my camera isn't as bad as you guys say it is, my phone rings and no one gets my mailbox unless i click ignore or miss a call, and as for SMS wait til Nov. , and even though i have to connect to the internet to do it, its REALLY fast, not broadband, but much much much better than my 300.
    Just like on the 300, it only sends the call to voicemail during ACTIVE surfing (data being transfered). Usually, when reading a webpage the call will go through.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    With all due respect, I think the original PalmPilots were built quite well, thank you very much. Sure, they were plastic, but they were built well. Built in the good old US of A, too.

Scott
    If they werent we wouldnt be here would we?

All I'm saying is that they are light years apart in build, and operation, while keeping same basic function
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by treo600mad

If you look carefully at the F.A.Q on handspring.co.uk it explains that the GSM version will indeed notify you of incoming calls whilst browsing and you can choose to answer and put the browsing on hold, or send to voicemail. (browsing continues once call is finished.)
    Thats good to know. Im keeping TMO for now. I have looked at a lot of treo 600 websites, but I have not perused the FAQ on the orange UK site. LOL
    I bought a treo 600 yesterday, at the sprint store in XXXXXX, IL.
    Where in Chicago area sprint store did you bought it from? I checked a few but none has it. I just want to look at the actual thing. Can you give me a clue? Thanks.
    Last edited by dlee27; 10/09/2003 at 04:11 PM.
    Funny. I have the exact opposite problem. TMO has been AWFUL with a capital F in Chicago. I picked up the T600 from Sprint yesterday and reception was a lot better. No more dead spots in the usual areas.
    I should add that I am upgrading from a Treo 180 (#4). I was able to surf and receive/make calls. I ended the call and continued to surf with Blazer.

Last tidbit..I returned the phone today when I found out about the upgrade from HS. Damn impatience got the best of me yesterday. So I had a good 24 hours with the phone and I anticipate that this phone will serve me well.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by dlee27

Where in Chicago area sprint store did you bought it from? I checked a few but none has it. I just want to look at the actual thing. Can you give me a clue? Thanks.
    If you head out to Geneva in about an hour, you'll get a new treo with nary an hour of use.
    I've been a bit disappointed with my new 600 too, as far as missed calls go. I've got my Vision services completely disconnected, and trying to call my 600 from home phone, I just received a staggering 4 of 10 calls. That's right, with 10 consecutive tries, the Treo only actually responded to 40% of the calls being made to it. In fact, when I first got the thing home, I thought it was defective, since it just would not recognize that it was being called.

I'll tell you what, this thing is amazing, but if it can't receive calls, it's going back to Sprint...and fast. I'll keep testing it out tonight and tomorrow...ugggh.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    i have 2 old treo 300, none was used for the upgrade.

PM me or email

paypal welcome !

asking $30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast