1.    #1  
    v1.90b which supports the Treo600 natively is now available from http://www.pdaapps.com . If you are upgrading from a pre 1.8x version of VeriChat, you will want to delete VeriChat from your device before installing this version.

PDAapps
    Awesome - this was one app I was really NEEDING on the 600. Now I await its arrival with anticipation, since my excitement about the 600 was tempered by concern about Verichat. All good now.
    Now, in spite of what weak-a** plans Sprint is <supposed> to have for SMS, you NEED to get Treo600SMS going. Come on! You know your app will be better than what Sprint throws out there!!
    How do you upgrade from 1.4 ? Do you have to purchase it again, or is there some other means. It is not obvious from the web site.
    Could someone explain how this works on a CDMA network (sprint)? I was under the impression that you had to have a connection that was always connecting to the data portion. If that is correct, how would you ever receive calls?

Thanks for the help

Josh
    OK...just got my Treo600 in....to upgrade Verichat, Do I upgrade on the old Treo 300 first then upgrade the Palm software then resynch into the 600 or just install straight to the 600?. I already am registered under the 300. DO I need to re register???

IGo
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    quote:
    Could someone explain how this works on a CDMA network (sprint)? I was under the impression that you had to have a connection that was always connecting to the data portion. If that is correct, how would you ever receive calls?

end quote

So here's the basic scoop, and you should also go to their site - www.pdaapps.com - for the whole story.

Remember that with the CDMA world, at least how Sprint has rolled it out, there's active and inactive data connections. When active - sending and receiving data, your device cannot receive calls. Inactive means you're connected to the tower and such, but not actively sending and receiving data - when inactive, you can receive calls.
    So, then, for Verichat, they use SMS as the initial trigger to start an IM session. I can be in a totally separate app, receive a little pop-up alert (via SMS, although that's not really obvious, and it doesn't LOOK like SMS), and I can then either a) do a quick response from right there, inside that little pop up, and stay within the app I'm in, or b)launch the Verichat app, and continue IMing from within the app itself. You do need to know, however, that when you're in the active Verichat app, that you're likely to NOT receive calls - your device is busy IMing and such and is actively connected to the data side. Again - the ability to receive calls (or not) is based on the status of your data connection.

There are numerous threads that talk about the data status - grey arrows indicating idle, and green arrows indicating active.

Make sense? Grab a trial of the app, and see for yourself - it's truly one of the BEST apps for a converged device. I NEVER use my desktop IM at all, anymore. Why should I? I have IM with me at all times.

And one thing - Verichat uses a proxy for status (what's called 'presence' in the IM world). Once you set your status in the Verichat app via your device - available, busy, on the phone, whatever - that status is what's shown to the outside world, no matter the status of your device. Thus, they login to the Yahoo/AIM/MSN/etc server for you, and then your connection to their servers via the proxy is actually what connects you to your buddies and such. My point is that, unlike with typical PC IM programs, you can literally be ALWAYS available, no matter the status of your device. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on your desire to be able to IMd at any time. In my case, I get IMs at various times throughout the day, and can respond no matter where I am or what I'm doing. It is just plain awesome, if one is heavily dependent on IM as a form of communication.
    Thankls for the explanation.. I appreciate it.

Josh