Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those of you who have gotten your Treo 600's and ordered the $6 headphone adaptor that Handspring wants to nickle and dime us for, how good is the MP3 quality? If you have experience with other MP3 devices (e.g. - PPCs, other Palm OS devices, iPods, etc.) please compare. Thanks,

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  2.    #2  
    Bumping this. Surely someone has listened to MP3s through a pair of headphones by now.

Scott
    I think it sounds great, I've never used another pda with mp3's(or a Treo), but it's just as good, if not better than let's say, my laptop, or mp3 player. Plus when a call comes in, answer it, and "speakerphone" is in stereo

It's PLENTY loud enough coming out the headphones, and I like it loud. It does distort when you start hitting max volume, tho.
    The speakerphone is the most impressive. It's sounds grrrreat.

My Rant:
    I cannot use anything but headphones out of the jack. So car/home audio lineout's dont work.
    IE-Cassette adapter, FM tuner adapter, and PC speaker system.

With nothing in the plug, it's speakerphone, when you plug in headphones, or just the adapter, it mutes SF. but when you plug in one of these sources, it sounds like it's checking, then switches back to SF. ok, ok, so headphones are fine, but I wanted an MP3 player too

I guess this goes along with a 2mp camera lense?
    It may be looking for a certain signal or resistance. I have seen this in car audio stuff. It should be able to me mimiced so you can use it. In most cases we were able to mimic the input that the headunit wanted to see from the CD changer.
    My 2-cents worth, Matt Burkhard

is the stereo headset a three pole or a standard two pole (how many black rings on the plug?)
    I had the same issue with line-outs. I think the Treo is checking for the presence of a mic on the line - probably by impedance checking.

I have it working fine with a line-in to my home stereo amplifier. I had a problem with a set of cheap desktop powered speakers though. As soon as I turned on the amp the sound went back to the Treo rear speaker. I am not electronic savvy enough to know how to get the speakers to appear differently to the Treo.

I suspect that it will work with most gear though - I have used it on three different amplifiers with no hassle.
    I've seen the stereo headset on Handspring's site - it SEEMS that this has a microphone too: "Lapel clip keeps microphone stationary".

Can anyone confirm this? - I would really like to be able to listen to mp3 and answer a call with the handsfree microphone as I can on various Nokia's etc.

If the handspring product doesn't do this, does something else?

http://www.handspring.co.uk/products...eo_headset.asp

Thanks!
    I havent used them yet...but what you are looking for is at

Skullcandy.com

either a stereo headset with a mic and on/off btns

or a jack for hooking up your own headset.

They sound like great guys and they try to make it happen right the first time.
    It is not just the quality of the player to consider but also the headset. I good quality stereo headset will make a big differance. I have not been able to test my 600 yet because I need the adapter.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Originally posted by Ben in NYC
    I havent used them yet...but what you are looking for is at

Skullcandy.com

either a stereo headset with a mic and on/off btns

or a jack for hooking up your own headset.

They sound like great guys and they try to make it happen right the first time.
    It seems that the scullcandy solution mixes two audio inputs (coming through two wires): the stereo audio and the phone audio. The Treo has one output. I don't see how this can work for the Treo.
    Originally posted by silverado

It seems that the scullcandy solution mixes two audio inputs (coming through two wires): the stereo audio and the phone audio. The Treo has one output. I don't see how this can work for the Treo.
    you unplug one, and plug in the other one every time you need to switch. (sucks, if you ask me)
    Originally posted by conflagrare

you unplug one, and plug in the other one every time you need to switch. (sucks, if you ask me)
    Yes, and I didn't consider that to be a solution, that's why I said that I can't see that working.

This can't be the solution that we'll live with, could it? I can't see why HS didn't make the one accessory that everyone is going ot want! How hard could it be?
    That's right - this is not weird functionality to ask for. You're walking along, listening to MP3. Someone calls - the software pauses the MP3 and you hear the ring through the headphones. You press the button on your handsfree mic. You talk.

Simple - and not impossible given the hardware. Nokia, Sony Ericcson, XDA's etc. have had this for AGES.

Fingers crossed that some 3rd party developer or HS puts something on the market...
    I have the adaptor and my own headphones for my 600. I would recommend that anyone looking to purchase the 600 buy the adaptor at the same time. Anyway, the sound quality is really only as good the headphones your using to listen to the tunes. Pocket Tune has a built in equalizer, but it tends to cause distortation at higher low end adjustments. I just think it's nice to have the ability to listen to music while I am working in Docs to Go.
    This solution eliminates the use for the adapter that HS sells...

Take your fav headphones and cut off the 1/8" stereo jack and replace it with a 90 degree 3/32" stereo plug from Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D298

You'll need some soldering skills and know which wires go where..

Shielded copper wire braids go to the connection that is closest to the plastic plug...the other wires white/ red go to the tip/ ring respectively of the stereo 2.5 mm plug.

have fun!!

But, now, you'll need to buy an adapter to use those same headphones on your walkmanor buy another set of headphones especially for your standalone Walkman MP3 player.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D397
    I bought the adapter from RS, 2.5-3.5, so I can hear great out of my good headphones. A call somes in, when I answer it, it goes to speakerphone, which runs STEREO thru the headset, and uses the mic(as a speakerphone mic) Which is very nice, and works for now. People can hear me fine, and they are in stereo. My buddy offered to drop wind for me. When I drop the call, the playback resumes(which was still playing, just muted)

My 2 wants, still.

*2.5 -to- inline mic -to- 3.5 female... then i can use whatever headphones i want(which i always end up replacing

*to find the way to fix the impedance so I can run playback to my car stereo, and home desktop speakers. any EE's out there? I believe it's just an ohm-age issue, my headphones are low ohmage, matched to a low output mp3 player.
    Thanks everyone for your help and info. I was wondering if I should call HS and change my Treo 600 order to add the adapter. But it seems that the HS headset adapter is a standard 1/8 to 3/32" adapter that I can purchase from Radio Shack. I may have one in my "wires" box already. Thanks also for posting the link to the 3/32" plug that I can solder to the wires myself too! Mark
    I almost fell out of my seat when I heard how good mp3s played through the built-in speaker. I didn't think that would be the case with all the stuff HS had to cram in the case. It's really good even at loud volume.

Then...
    I plugged in my headphones with the stereo adapter and I was really blown away. It sounds just as good as my two mp3 players and my computer. Headphone quality will of course influence, as well. In PocketTunes you can make it really loud and it still sounded decent, but that was too loud. At a comfortable volume it is great.
    well it's not as good as my iPod, but I am quite suprised just how good it is, with headphones and though the cassette adapter in my car.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Originally posted by nmotion
    *to find the way to fix the impedance so I can run playback to my car stereo, and home desktop speakers. any EE's out there? I believe it's just an ohm-age issue, my headphones are low ohmage, matched to a low output mp3 player.
    nmotion,

I'm definitely no EE, but perhaps it's a headphone amplifier that you need. I use one for my cd player and it makes such a huge difference. This guy, fixup, does some pretty amazing things - I use his SuperMini amp - and I've seen him lurking on this board as well.

Once my T600 arrives, I'm going to try my amp with the MP3 player and see how it works.

Check out his website and see if you find something that works for you:
    http://www.fixup.net/

Adam
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by imageone
    well it's not as good as my iPod, but I am quite suprised just how good it is, with headphones and though the cassette adapter in my car.
    Thanks for your comments. This is exactly the type of opinion I'm looking for.

Scott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast