1.    #1  
    I'm wondering how people are faring with their negotiations for $100-150 rebates/credits from Sprint for service agreements for 1-2 years after they've purchased the T600 elsewhere.

I'm esp. curious because once Sprint knows you've just bought a new T600 that only works with Sprint, why would they try so hard to get a 1-year agreement? They know you've just bought an expensive Sprint-only phone!

Also, I'm wondering what offers might be coming after number portability arrives (by November, we hope). A lot of the current offers from Sprint seem to expire at the end of October.

Should I negotiate with Sprint before they realize I've already committed to a brand new Sprint phone (i.e. before activating it)?

Should I wait until after number portability to agree to a 1-year extension ?

Any suggestions / experiences to relate?
    Originally posted by TreoTheo
    I'm wondering how people are faring with their negotiations for $100-150 rebates/credits from Sprint for service agreements for 1-2 years after they've purchased the T600 elsewhere.

I'm esp. curious because once Sprint knows you've just bought a new T600 that only works with Sprint, why would they try so hard to get a 1-year agreement? They know you've just bought an expensive Sprint-only phone!

Also, I'm wondering what offers might be coming after number portability arrives (by November, we hope). A lot of the current offers from Sprint seem to expire at the end of October.

Should I negotiate with Sprint before they realize I've already committed to a brand new Sprint phone (i.e. before activating it)?

Should I wait until after number portability to agree to a 1-year extension ?

Any suggestions / experiences to relate?
    TreoTheo:

You are making two moot points:

The Sprint offer of $100 for a year and $150 for a two year commitment is a solid offer that anyone can take advantage of???

It does not make sense to try to negotiate with them before number portability because if they announce new lower plans you can just switch to the new lower plan???

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by JakeE

TreoTheo:

You are making two moot points:

The Sprint offer of $100 for a year and $150 for a two year commitment is a solid offer that anyone can take advantage of???

It does not make sense to try to negotiate with them before number portability because if they announce new lower plans you can just switch to the new lower plan???

Jake
    I'm glad you know they're moot--but it certainly wasn't obvious to me, or I wouldn't have asked.

OK--so you say the $100-150 is solid--just ask and ye shall receive. That's good to at least know. Some folks initially seemed to be getting it when they added a line of service or purchased a phone from Sprint. So it wasn't so clear in my reading. It still seems to defy logic to give you further incentive if they know you've just puchased an expensive, Sprint-only phone, however.

Secondly, even if you sign up for a 1-year commitment, for example, that does not lock you into one plan--you can always choose any of the current plans (though sometimes the older ones were better--like Vision for $10). And when number portabilty goes into effect, if they lower the plan prices, you can still choose that--you just can't move over to another carrier if you have the service agreement.

Please tell if you disagree---and please explain your use of <???>, they're confusing me!