1.    #1  
    If you have a Treo 270 as I do and no existing contract with your carrier, here is what you can do. Risk Free!

I contacted Handspring and purchased a Treo 600 for the upgrade price of $399. All I had to do was give them the serial number on from my 270. Sprint is offering $150 credit for a two year contract. I will sell my unlocked GSM Treo 270 on ebay for $250.

This way it is essentially a free upgrade to a much better unit. Plus, if you purchase the Treo 600 from Handspring under with their upgrade, you are not required to purchase Sprint service from them.

You are then free to evaluate the Treo 600 for several weeks. If you don’t like it simply send it back to Handspring within 30 days for a complete refund or if you decide to keep it call Sprint and have them activate a new phone number for you.

It was a long summer, but true to form, like with my Treo 180, and Treo 270 I ordered my Treo 600 the first day it was available for sale from Handspring. I was originally upset that I had to switch carriers to get the black color Treo but I imagine it ended up being a blessing in disguise since it was free.

Cheers!!!
    Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 10/09/2003 at 02:16 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    I thought someone said that the older Treos were only going for around $150 on eBay these days. I believe the person who said this was talking specifically about the Treo 300 (which I have), so perhaps the Treo 270's are worth more on eBay?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I think I said about $150. I noticed NEW Treo 300s going there for $250, but figured my was a year old. I didn't look into the unlocked Treo 270 GSM market on ebay, because, well, that's not what I have. I have a Treo 300 that's been used for less than a year. It might be more than $150 like around $200, but that can probably be expected to go down as more older Treos make their way on there.
    My two Treo 300s are probably about six months old. I kept mine "naked" in a pocket all to itself but it still managed to get several scratches on the back and some of the paint has worn off in a few spots. My wife kept hers in her purse, and I think it's about as worn as mine. Other than that they're in perfect condition though, so it will be interesting to see what they can go for. As you say, there will probably be a flood of them on eBay soon, so that won't help.

Scott
    The only problem with this scenario is that if you have a Treo 270 you have a GSM Treo. Why, unless you are totally unhappy with your carrier, would you switch to a CDMA Treo? I am quite happy with T-Mobile, their data rates, (though not necessarily their data speed), and am eagerly awaiting an unlocked GSM Treo 600. I suppose some people are tired of waiting and will switch to the first available Treo 600. I'm just not one of them.

Andrew
    JakeE

How are you able to both get the discounted price for the Treo former owners at $399 from Handspring

and

Also get the $150 from Sprint?

Maybe you are new to Sprint?

Here is my scenario, like all of you I'm a gadget freak. I currently have a Treo 300 with Sprint. Of course I NEED to upgrade to the 600 with them.

I'd like to pay as little as possible. Not sure if I can finagle more money out of Sprint too.

I guess maybe selling T 300 on ebay and $399 offer will have to suffice.

Anyone any thoughts I guess it is worth a call to Sprint to try to get additional $$ for adding a year or so to my contract.

Has anyone had success with the Handspring price and getting money from Sprint as an exisiting customer?

These boards are awesome!
    WHEATHIN, ideally you would have to no longer be under contract from Sprint. However, I seem to recall reading some folks say that they were able to get the additional Sprint service credit by simply adding another year (or in this case two - though I strongly advise against that) to the contract.

In any case, you shouldn't need to buy it from Sprint, even if you're still under contract. In fact, I should think that buying it from Handspring would be the preferred method in that case. You plug in your serial number on Handspring's site and they send you a Treo 600 for $399 without requiring you to sign any contracts. You then transfer your phone number from the Treo 300 to the Treo 600 (there will be a fee involved) and can then sell your Treo 300 on eBay.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    WHEATHIN, ideally you would have to no longer be under contract from Sprint. However, I seem to recall reading some folks say that they were able to get the additional Sprint service credit by simply adding another year (or in this case two - though I strongly advise against that) to the contract.

In any case, you shouldn't need to buy it from Sprint, even if you're still under contract. In fact, I should think that buying it from Handspring would be the preferred method in that case. You plug in your serial number on Handspring's site and they send you a Treo 600 for $399 without requiring you to sign any contracts. You then transfer your phone number from the Treo 300 to the Treo 600 (there will be a fee involved) and can then sell your Treo 300 on eBay.

Scott
    I didn't know there's a fee involved in switching phone number from one phone to another. I've done that many times and was never charged a fee by Sprint as far as I know.
    Originally posted by newtreouser

I didn't know there's a fee involved in switching phone number from one phone to another. I've done that many times and was never charged a fee by Sprint as far as I know.
    Can anyone else confirm this? This would surprise me.

Scott
    In theory Sprint can charge you for switching numbers from one phone to another (ESN swaps). In practice, they have never charged me. I've done probably 5 swaps in the last 15 months without any fees. YMMV.
    Originally posted by Andrew-NYC
    The only problem with this scenario is that if you have a Treo 270 you have a GSM Treo. Why, unless you are totally unhappy with your carrier, would you switch to a CDMA Treo? I am quite happy with T-Mobile, their data rates, (though not necessarily their data speed), and am eagerly awaiting an unlocked GSM Treo 600. I suppose some people are tired of waiting and will switch to the first available Treo 600. I'm just not one of them.

Andrew
    Wouldn't data speed be a primary concern on a device like the T600?
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    In theory Sprint can charge you for switching numbers from one phone to another (ESN swaps). In practice, they have never charged me. I've done probably 5 swaps in the last 15 months without any fees. YMMV.
    Sprint does charge a $36 activation fee when upgrading a phone on a personal account. If your account is classified as a business account phone activations are free.

Earlier this year and I don't know how long before then, you could upgrade/activate a phone on a personal account online for free... but if you had trouble activating it they would waive the fee if you first tried online.

Now I know some people who wanted the additional credit for extending their contract also asked nicely that they would also like to have activation waived when swapping their phone as an extra consideration for extending their contract and usually get it.
    Originally posted by rastoma

Wouldn't data speed be a primary concern on a device like the T600?
    It is certainly important, but if you're also using the device as your only and primary phone, the fact that the CDMA version cannot accept calls while transfering data is a serious problem.
    Originally posted by WHEATHIN
    Anyone any thoughts I guess it is worth a call to Sprint to try to get additional $$ for adding a year or so to my contract.
    that's my plan, call up and extend a year. I see no reason why not to if I'm getting a new phone that will only work with Sprint anway. I won't do 2 years, because I think in 12 months we'll see a Treo 650 or something with a high-res screen and/or bluetooth and other goodies. When that happens, I'll be at the end of the contract again, ready to negotatiate for that one
    I wouldn't worry about having Treo 600 as only phone and connecting with data (downloading info). Yes you can't get calls when data connecting but you are connected to data in bursts and for short periods a minute tops (only interupts phone calls if active connection of receiving info (green arrows icon) not if just connected to Vision.

While you are data connected. Vm picks up and takes a message.

Sprint's Vision is so much faster than any other GPRS/ GSM/TDMA services. Sprint has the fastest data connection service of any carrier.

They are the only ones with the closest thing to 3G.

I have had a T 300 with Sprint and been very happy with it and the speed of the internet ( I swear it is definitely faster than dial up).

I hope this helps.

I ordered my Treo 600 this morning, Fed Ex overnight of course. Now they say it is backordered after calling they said should be at my door in 3-5 business days (they are just busy with orders).

Probably all us treo central people ordering, or maybe this will really be a hit product!
    I'll probably do all of the steps you mentioned, except take the 1-yr contract and get mine for a net cost of $50-$100 (depending on the going rate for a 300). I'd hate to flare up this issue again, but to me, it seems silly to commit to a 2nd year for $50.
    I thought if you buy it from HS you had to sign up for the service contract. I have a 270 as well. So you claim that I can get the upgraded one from HS WITHOUT getting a service contract and then sign up for Sprint and get a $150 credit?!? Has anyone usccessfully done this yet?
    You purchase the T600 from HS for $399 (use current Treo as a trade-up).
    Once you receive the T600, you call Sprint to have it provisioned.
    New customers can get rebates:
    $100 off with a 1 year contract
    $150 off with a 2 year contract
    The rebate from Sprint gets credited on your first months bill.

If you are a current Sprint customer and your contract ends in the next 6mos, you are also eligible for the rebates mentioned above.

Hope this hels.

thegimp
    if I order the Treo 600 from the handspring website for the $399 upgrade price and want to add it as a NEW line of service as part of a Sprint Family Plan (add-a-phone) that I already have, would i be able to get any of the rebates for a new activation.

Cause I would be launching a new line of service, but it would not be on a brand new plan.

ALSO: Say I activate with a new Sprint # now, but in 3 months my AT&T contract ends. Could I bring the AT&T # over to Sprint at that point or would they not let me switch the number.

Thanks
    I do not think you will get the Sprint rebate when you add a new line of service to the family plan (I could be wrong). Sprint CSR reps can usually be swayed. They make a lot of $$$ of you after all.

I spoke with Sprint about transferring cell #'s and I don't think it will be as easy as it sounds. Currently, there is only speculation as to how phone numbers will be transferred from provider A to provider B.

No one is committing to any answers there.