Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the latest news about the Handspring upgrade deal for current Treo owners, I must admit that even I have become significantly more interested in the Treo 600, warts and all.

I went over to Handspring's site to view some of the online demos which demonstrate the D-Pad functionality and picture-taking and noticed that the screen fonts looked thicker and much more appealing than what I expected. I took a quick screenshot on my laptop, loaded it in a paint program, and determined that the screens they show in these demos is not 160x160 but actually 173x168. Apparently even Handspring's own marketing team agrees with many of us that 160x160 is pretty lame. On an interesting side-note, isn't it amazing how much nicer things can look with an even minimal increase in resolution?

For those of you who already have your Treo 600s, can you verify that the fonts look just like the Treo 300's or did Handspring really use thicker fonts and anti-aliasing? I suspect it's the former.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I took a quick screenshot on my laptop, loaded it in a paint program, and determined that the screens they show in these demos is not 160x160 but actually 173x168.

For those of you who already have your Treo 600s, can you verify that the fonts look just like the Treo 300's or did Handspring really use thicker fonts and anti-aliasing? I suspect it's the former.

Scott
    Scott,

To me, the T600 screen looks twice as good as the T300. Certainly its not 320X320, but it looks much better than 160X160.

Is there really a noticeable difference between 160x160 and 173x168? Doesn't it represent less than a 10% difference?
    I definitely don't want to start yet another screen resolution debate. However, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that Handspring should never show enlarged pictures of the Treo? I would only start considering "false advertising" if they have changed the proportions of the phone so that the screen is proportionally larger with respect to the rest the phone than it is in reality. If that's not the case, then they are just enlarged the whole phone.

We all know that 160x160 is a low resolution, etc etc. However, we also know that 160x160 pixels would look owefully small on a modern computer screen and people are not going to stick their noses to the screen to see the demo. Again, if they enlarge the whole phone to show it, where is the false advertising?
  4.    #4  
    You misunderstand. My point is that I don't think they simply enlarged the image but rather created fake mockups of these sample apps, the purpose of which is to inaccurately portray the Treo 600 so as to make it look more pleasing than it really is. Here is one of the images in question.

http://hipnetic.com/geek/treo600_screen.gif

Treo 600 owners, please compare this to what you're seeing and comment. Thanks,

Scott

PS - Can't I include an image that displays the image within the forum without requiring users to click on a link?
    Looks to me like they just selected the bold font under preferences. That's available in the 300 and looks about like mine. Haven't gotten my 600 yet, but that screen shoot looks like what I already have.

Resolution isn't for boldness, and with the brighter screen, the contrast should already be crisper. For standard size text font, res. shouldn't matter much.

Of course, as you know, it's smoother details that may look pleasing, but shouldn't change text readability much, unless you are viewing web pages in very small text, or photos, which will clearly look more pixelated.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    So you figured a 13x8 increase? Oh jeez...

Please tell me you are just being silly..
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by TreoTheo
    Looks to me like they just selected the bold font under preferences. That's available in the 300 and looks about like mine. Haven't gotten my 600 yet, but that screen shoot looks like what I already have.
    I, too, have a Treo 300 and that is a completely different font. It's not the same font you see when you choose the bold font through preferences.

Scott
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by njchris
    So you figured a 13x8 increase?
    Alas, that's exactly the point. There is no good reason for Handspring to have gone to the extra trouble involved in "zooming in" on the screen by such a trivial amount as it adds little to no benefit for a potential buyer watching these videos. It would have been far easier for them to compile these demos using the actual resolution. The only reason why they would have bothered to do it is so that they could falsely depict the fonts to appear smoother, and generally more pleasing. IOW, it's a marketing trick, and one that I don't particularly appreciate.

Scott
    Come on. You are a complete loser if you spend your time finding fault with a company's promo shots.

At some point, people really do need to get a life, slow down, take things less seriously, and enjoy what they have and the incredible technology that is now available. Of course, it will not be perfect, but, well, that is why we continue to invent.
  10.    #10  
    Sigh. If you have no problem with this, that's fine. Is it a fairly minor issue? I suppose. But it's not trivial, IMO. For the longest time, those of us who have been disappointed with the Treo 600's rumored low-res screen have been inundated with retorts that "the smaller screen will make it seem even sharper." Now we see that Handspring themselves doesn't even want to accurately depict their screens, instead choosing to use different antialiased fonts so as to make the entire interface appear smoother and higher-res than it really is.

Scott
    With the latest news about the Handspring upgrade deal for current Treo owners, I must admit that even I have become significantly more interested in the Treo 600, warts and all.

I went over to Handspring's site to view some of the online demos which demonstrate the D-Pad functionality and picture-taking and noticed that the screen fonts looked thicker and much more appealing than what I expected. I took a quick screenshot on my laptop, loaded it in a paint program, and determined that the screens they show in these demos is not 160x160 but actually 173x168. Apparently even Handspring's own marketing team agrees with many of us that 160x160 is pretty lame. On an interesting side-note, isn't it amazing how much nicer things can look with an even minimal increase in resolution?

Scott
    Hi Scott!

I agree with you on the issue of the great HS upgrade price which I immediately took advantage of today. $399 is an excellent value, and true to form as with my Treo 180 and 270, I bought the Treo 600 the first day it became available for sale and I got the black Treo! I am switching to Sprint just to get the black Treo!?!?

Sprint is also offering me a $150 credit for signing a two year contract which is cool. I will sell my Treo 270 on eBay for the difference. Basically it ends up being a free upgrade to a much better unit.

On the issue of the fonts, readabilty, brightness and the screen quality overall: During the San Francisco Mission Possible event, I spent a great deal of time admiring and experimenting with the Treo 600. I realize the screen is the same resolution as my Treo 270, but my God it looked better in every way!!!

The new UI implementation is stunning. Everything looks better and clearer including the new icons. It almost looked like eye candy.

If you take advantage of the $399 upgrade from Handspring they will ship you a Sprint Treo 600 WITHOUT having to activate it on Sprint. That way you can evaluate the Treo 600 and if you decide you are not happy with it for any reason you can send it back for a complete refund within 30 days without being obligated to Sprint. If you like the Treo 600 and decide to keep it, just call Sprint and have them activate the phone! That way you can have your cake and eat it to. Risk Free!!!!

That withstanding, I think you will be very happy with the new display in every aspect.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 10/09/2003 at 01:26 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Scott, have you compared the two in person, are they saying that the resolution is something other than it is? Do you complain that Burger King is misrepresenting things in their commericals when they show a hamburger, when in fact they paint on the "flame broiled" markes before the commercials.

Of corse the marketing department of every company is going to make their product look better than it really is. That is the way life goes. Love it, hate, it or like most of us, understand it.

If you complain about every little aspect of a product, well, you might need to get your blood pressure checked before you die of a heart attack at a very young age!

The idea of marketing is to make you take a look at the company's product. At that stage you can judge what the prodcut looks like and how it functions. If you still like it, buy it, if not, don't. Pretty simple and probably saves you a lot of doctor's vistis in the long term!
    Originally posted by jmci123
    Scott, have you compared the two in person, are they saying that the resolution is something other than it is? Do you complain that Burger King is misrepresenting things in their commericals when they show a hamburger, when in fact they paint on the "flame broiled" markes before the commercials.

Of corse the marketing department of every company is going to make their product look better than it really is. That is the way life goes. Love it, hate, it or like most of us, understand it.

If you complain about every little aspect of a product, well, you might need to get your blood pressure checked before you die of a heart attack at a very young age!

The idea of marketing is to make you take a look at the company's product. At that stage you can judge what the prodcut looks like and how it functions. If you still like it, buy it, if not, don't. Pretty simple and probably saves you a lot of doctor's vistis in the long term!
    Your excellent Burger King analogy is perfectly accurate and on point!!!
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

14. purpleX
    It's jsut treo 300 in color, there is no new major feature except smaller form factor.

at least it's now $399. For $499 It would have die 3 months from now.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    It's jsut treo 300 in color, there is no new major feature except smaller form factor.

at least it's now $399. For $499 It would have die 3 months from now.
    Hi Purple X!!!

Glad to see you came back to celebrate with all of us!!!!!

Jake

You misunderstand. My point is that I don't think they simply enlarged the image but rather created fake mockups of these sample apps, the purpose of which is to inaccurately portray the Treo 600 so as to make it look more pleasing than it really is. Here is one of the images in question.

http://hipnetic.com/geek/treo600_screen.gif

Treo 600 owners, please compare this to what you're seeing and comment. Thanks,
    I don't have a 600 but comparing this with the Contacts application on my 270 it looks like there's some more white space on the left and across the top. The highlighting bar is a little wider as well. There is no menu tab, signal strength indicator, or battery indicator. The "Look Up:" prompt appears to be mising and the "New Contact" button is about three times wider. So yes, it's probably a mock-up since I would assume that Handspring wouldn't rewrite the Contacts application to display less information.

It also looks kind of fuzzy. Note the ragged look along the bottom of the "New Contact" button. Also note how solid the grayed out up arrow looks compared to one on a normal Treo where you can actually see the individual pixels. It actually looks like this screenshot was anti-aliased in a graphics program. I'm not sure that it is really more pleasing to the eye. Some things do look better, the words have a little bit of white space instead of running to the very edge of the screen, the grayed out up arrow looks pretty nice. But overall, the letters and numbers look a little fuzzy if you stare at them closely.

So I would say that this is likely a mock up created when they might have been tweaking the look of the future Treo's applications that somehow made its way into a but I don't think it's meant to be deliberately misleading. My guess is that some graphic artist just got a little sloppy or perhaps overzealous about having each shot look its best. So he tweaked it a bit, anti-aliasing it without realizing that it would make the fonts fuzzier and added a little white space along the edges in case somebody tried to do what I did when investigating your claim -- view the shot against a black background. Overall, I'd say this deserves a great, big "so what."
    This sounds just like my experience with the Samsung I-300 to I-330 upgrade. The screen specs were exactly the same for both phones, but there was a total NIGHT and DAY difference in the brightness and quality of the actual display. The techology used to built the displays must have improved over the last couple of years or something. That is why I am not concerned with the Treo 600 I have on order. Just my $.02.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Even a cereal box will tell you 'enlarged to show texture'. If the images do not represent the actual product, it should be noted.

---------------------------------------

On the bottom of the second page on the Treo600 datasheet it does say:

Screen images are simulated

I think this is what sould be noted, if in fact the images are simulated, on the overview webpages.

Link
    http://handspring.speedera.net/www.h...cdmadsheet.pdf
    Last edited by unixmonkey; 10/09/2003 at 08:05 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by chazglenn3
    This sounds just like my experience with the Samsung I-300 to I-330 upgrade. The screen specs were exactly the same for both phones, but there was a total NIGHT and DAY difference in the brightness and quality of the actual display.
    I had an i300 as well. Man was that ever an awful display, huh? I loved the build quality of the phone itself though.

Scott
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by unixmonkey
    Even a cereal box will tell you 'enlarged to show texture'. If the images do not represent the actual product, it should be noted.
    At last, a sympathetic ear.

DarthRepublican, you make some valid points about the fonts being thicker but also fuzzier. I suppose it's a toss-up. Personally, I think I'd like apps like the phone book to use slightly larger, weightier fonts with some antialiasing especially now that the screen has been shrunk (obviously with the ability to change this if you prefer the smaller fonts).

Scott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast