1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if Pocket-Tunes (available free with Treo 600 and elsewhere) will play AAC codec files?

For Macs using iTunes, AAC codec (a form of mp4) has the best sound quality /compression alogrithm, ideal for a limited SD card. But the Pocket-Tunes website only mentions mp3 and Ogg Vorbis (?!).

Otherwise, I'll have to convert any AAC codec files to standard mp3 prior to playing them on the Treo 600--ugghh!

Thanks in advance.
    I had just wrote to support@pocket-tunes.com about a week ago.

I sent this:

Hello,

I would like to install Pocket Tunes on my Handspring Treo but I am wondering if you have plans to support the AAC audio format in the near future. It seems like this would be a good fit for smaller mobile devices with their relatively small amounts of memory. The AAC format has a smaller file size than others like MP3, Ogg Vorbis and WAV and a superior quality. It is my understanding that the decoder is efficiently written as well.

Seems like a perfect fit for these small devices.

You are probably already aware of this technology, but I am stating it hear as a requested feature for a future release of Pocket Tunes.

Thank you for your time.

Then they sent this:

At the current time, we don't have any plans to support AAC audio files. Although we agree that Apple's music store is a very cool idea, Dolby charges a very high licensing fee to play AAC audio files, and we're unable to justify the expense at this time. Additionally, Apple uses a proprietary DRM (digital rights management) technology to prevent playing the music on unauthorized devices, and Apple does not seem to be licensing this technology to anyone at the present time. We will continue to keep on top of this and will re-evaluate our position if any of this changes.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Take care,
    Tim

Now we need to write more letters. I will be writing a second letter to support@pocket-tunes.com because there are other ways of obtaining AAC encoded songs on the MAC (and PC for that matter) one of which is simply ripping a CD or song using QuickTime. Their are additional plug-ins and applications that allow for the creation/encoding of AAC files as well. They seem to be saying that the iTMS is the only source for these files. I only have 11 AACs from the iTMS; the rest I have ripped myself. Apple doesn't control or have any sort of DRM for these files.

So, I encourage you to send a letter to support@pocket-tunes.com to ask for general AAC support without any concern for DRM. I would also suggest writing to Apple if I thought it would do any good, but I do not think they have any intention on sharing their liberal and highly succesfull DRM technology. I believe one reason for this is their work on wi-fi/Airport/802.11g technology for iPods; their answer to making these iTMS AAC files more portable. They probably won't be doing anything like letting PocketTunes use their DRM which would harm the sales of iPods and inturn, harm the sales of iTMS songs.

I guess it would be kind of cool for the Treo 600 to have a close range wireless access to iPod's 40GB hard drive full of AACs, MP3s, WAVs or even the full blown high fidelity of AIFFs. I wonder what it would take to make this happen?
    Dolby charges $15,000 plus $1 per unit sold, IIRC (this is coming from Aerodrome in response to the same functionality being requested of Aeroplayer). You'd need to find ~800 people willing to pay $20 each just for that functionality before the licensing costs would be paid. That's not even including compensation for the amount of time and effort required for the coding.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...