1.    #1  
    This is just a warning. If you have a Treo 300 on Ebay right now, look out for scam artists. I'm sure most people here are savvy enough to realize what's going on, but I figured I'd post anyway just in case...

I have my Treo 300 up for auction on Ebay because I just bought the Treo 600. It's amazing to me that I've gotten 3 e-mails today saying "can you please give me the serial number for your Treo 300 so I can make sure it's not "hot" or that it's actually "unlocked". I wish people would practice a little more honesty and say "Hey, are you planning on using your serial number (which I've already done, by the way) to upgrade? And if not, would you mind letting me use it so I can get a discount on one?" But they just prey on the gullable...

I've sent some pretty nasty e-mail responses to all three of them. I doubt it will do any good, but it makes me feel better.

Has anyone else run into this???
  2.    #2  
    I just got an e-mail response from one of them... Here's what he had to say:

"Sorry about that... You know one of those things where you want it so bad you must have it and you will lie about it. You are correct, I wanted to get 600. I'm sorry to lie like that, normally I don't do that. Anyhow, I was able to guess the serial number and just placed an order for it... Tell me how you like yours if you don't mind please."

Can you believe that? Now he's not targeting individuals to lie to, he just picked some poor schmo at random (the guy who owns the phone with the serial number he guessed) and decided to jerk him over!! Sorry, but this is really getting on my nerves. Does anyone still have any integrity??
    This week's sign that the apocalypse is upon us:

Someone is selling a MOCK-UP Treo 600--yes, a completely non-functional device that cannot be used as a phone, PDA, etc. Here's the best part: the current bid is up to $41!!!! As the seller says (or warns), "This would make a great toy, or a useful aid for someone considering buying the real thing."

What in the world is going on here??????
  4.    #4  
    I think the mock up is being sold by one of the members of this site. I can't remember his login name, but I remember seeing a discussion about it here a few days ago. I personally don't have a problem with that though. He's very clear in his ad that it's not an actual phone, so people are willing to bid on it, more power to them. Maybe they just want to look like technogeeks without have to pay the price to actually be one...
    yep... same thing happened to me..... I sent out my serial number to this scammer.... got to thinking about why they would want the serial number over the ESN number, and then looked around and found the rebate offer...

I called handspring right away and told them, they had me listed as the registered owner of the phone I was selling, and took my order for the Treo 600 for $399.00..... kudos to handspring... and good luck to them om dealing with all the people scamming for serial numbers..

the ebay username who wrote me for the serial number was: thegoonies1985

who knows, maybe he's collecting serial numbers to sell them on ebay under a different ebay name....
    I was under the impression that Handspring checks both the serial number and to whom it is registered before they allow the T600 for $399...no?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    they really don't care, as long as they get the $$$$$$$ they are happy, heck woudn't you if you where them ?
    My guess is that they probably don't check to see who it is registered to. I say this only because I very recently received a refurbished unit Treo300 and did not register it. However, I did go ahead take advantage of Handspring's loyal customer offer using that serial number. Hopefully, there will be no problems
    Originally posted by brickjr
    This is just a warning. If you have a Treo 300 on Ebay right now, look out for scam artists. I'm sure most people here are savvy enough to realize what's going on, but I figured I'd post anyway just in case...

I have my Treo 300 up for auction on Ebay because I just bought the Treo 600. It's amazing to me that I've gotten 3 e-mails today saying "can you please give me the serial number for your Treo 300 so I can make sure it's not "hot" or that it's actually "unlocked". I wish people would practice a little more honesty and say "Hey, are you planning on using your serial number (which I've already done, by the way) to upgrade? And if not, would you mind letting me use it so I can get a discount on one?" But they just prey on the gullable...

I've sent some pretty nasty e-mail responses to all three of them. I doubt it will do any good, but it makes me feel better.

Has anyone else run into this???
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $ESN$ $is$ $what$ $Sprint$ $uses$ $to$ $check$ $if$ $a$ $phone$ $is$ $ok$ $for$ $activation$, $not$ $the$ $s$/$n$. $So$ $don$'$t$ $give$ $your$ $s$/$n$ $out$.
    Originally posted by T-Love
    This week's sign that the apocalypse is upon us:

Someone is selling a MOCK-UP Treo 600--yes, a completely non-functional device that cannot be used as a phone, PDA, etc. Here's the best part: the current bid is up to $41!!!! As the seller says (or warns), "This would make a great toy, or a useful aid for someone considering buying the real thing."

What in the world is going on here??????
    WeeBitObsessed is selling, or has sold one on eBay. Of course, his mock-up was autographed by HS President Ed Colligan.
    One would think that HS is looking beyond the initial sales but it appears not. The serial #'s should be linked to the original owner as it's a reward for being an early adopter. Just shows what people are capable of when they don't want to pay fair market value for something (anything).
    Post the eBay username of everyone scamming for serial numbers, that way we can all avoid them and maybe even report them to eBay. Don't sit back and let scammers do their work - out them!

Thanks!
    thegoonies1985