1.    #1  
    This is enough to make us all go insane. I ordered the T600 Monday night and it arrived today. Unfortunately, before i KNEW it had arrived today (was expecting it later this week), I came to TreoCentral and read about the Handspring deal. Being a good little addict, I promptly ordered that one for $399 plus overnight shipping.

I just arrived home and my T600 from Spint is here (albeit at $599). Here's what I'm thinking as far as options go:

A. Return it unopened and wait out Sprint to get the Handspring phone.

B. Call Sprint and demand a discount of $200 or ELSE (return it).

C. Use it until the $399 version arrives and return the $599 version.

D. Sell this $599 one to someone in Dallas, Tx TONIGHT (anyone interested) at my cost.

E. Keep both and have a STEREO TREO.

Thoughts?
    I'm in almost the same boat, except I didn't order the $399 one since I don't gots flow like dat.

If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    question: does sprint have a "no questions asked returned policy"?

if yes, tell them why you are going to return it and see what they say.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I say return it without opening it. Safest way to avoid the hassels.
    I renewed with Sprint and I'm just going to stick with the $150 and live with it.

I can understand what your doing, but with the hard time I had dealing with Sprint (ordered 3 different times) just to get it, I'm too tired to go to the trouble. Maybe HS will do something for the ones who bought before they gave us a chance to buy from them. Don't know about you but I never received the email from them they promised. Too late to sent it now.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    bonanzabe36tc,

I am in the exact same situation as you are in. I am thinking I am going to keep it boxed (not even open the brown box) until I have a tracking number from HS.

Then I will call sprint and get return instructions. I am expecting a full credit (probably less s/h). Does anyone know how Sprint is with returns? (i ordered through telesales)

Its not easy having a fresh new phone unable to be opened but its definitely worth $200 to wait 2 days.

- Leo

(also, does anyone know how to convince sprint customer service to give me a discount for a contract re-sign? the problem is, I my contract doesn't expire until Feb '04)
    Ah, I feel for you. Annoying.

I have the T600 activated and now I'm going to order the Handspring one ... and I guess activate that when it arrives, then return mine.

Sprint has a no-questions return policy for 14 days.

I called Handspring to see if I could get the discount without returning it. No dice. I called Sprint to see if they'd parlay to prevent me from returning it. No dice. I may try Sprint again before placing my order. It's inconvenient for all of us - I have to deal with shipping (and have over $1000 committed to these phones until the refund goes through). Sprint gets a slightly used phone back in its inventory. Handspring sends out a new phone to someone who already had the aforementioned slightly used one. Everybody loses a little. Too bad they aren't on the ball enough to just give me the refund, whether it's in cash or an account credit, or whatever.
    my biggest fear would be getting the credit from Sprint back on my CC, instead they would probably apply it to my account and then I would have a $1000 Amex bill. Sprint's just to freaking hard to deal with. I hope it all goes well for you guys returning.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Yeah ... I'd be perfectly happy with a $200 account credit. But $600, I'd rather get credited back to my card.
    enjoy your demo model for a few days..... sprint will take it back the same, opened and activated, or unopened....
    I'm in the exact same boat. I'm doing exactly as Wombat2, except I might return the unopened Handspring order to Sprint to keep from having to repeat the whole reactivating/syncing process. I just need to confirm that Sprint doesn't track the s/n of the phones ordered from them. Plus, it benefits Sprint since they get back an unused/unopened phone.

In the meantime, I'm using/loving my T600!
  12.    #12  
    After much thought (and one call to Sprint), I think I'll use the phone until the HS one arrives. Afterall, they will need a stock of refurbushed units for warranty fulfillment and the one I send back will be in mint condition.

I don't want to hit Sprint unfairly on this deal but I'm not sure why they can't offer me the same deal (rebate for previous Treo owner). Afterall, I pay about $200 a month for three sprint phones.

A part of me thinks they were trying to milk this release as much as possible. My reasoning is this: I called the Telesales number and wanted to get a phone with a rebate. I was told they could only sell new phones. I was transerred and told they could get me rebates but could not sell the T600 yet. Since I didn't know how long that would take, I bit the bullet and ordered it. Less than 48 hours later, we see deals flying left and right. There SHOULD be some recourse here short of returning the phone. Since there isn't, I feel within my rights to take them up on their 14 day return policy. After all, I'm sure they would hold ME to the contract I signed with THEM.

Thx all.
  13.    #13  
    treotim,
    Good point. I don't see a serial number anywhere on the packing slip from sprint.
    I talked to Sprint CSR. They suggested that I not accept UPS' delivery of the $599 one I ordered from Sprint. Or if you know your tracking # you can call UPS and cancel the shipment. CSR sais I would then get the credit from Sprint.

I asked CSR if I could get any service credit -- the 2 I talked to both talked to their supervisor and said "No."

Good luck.
    I would send back the one that sprint sent you back to sprint... the packing slip may not have the serial number listed, but I'm sure they know internally what they sent out....

you definately don't want to get into the mess of sending something back and them denying it.....
    You know, I may send back the one from HS as well. Depends what I hear on this board in the meantime.

That would really be better for both me and Sprint, and wouldn't hurt anyone (unless they balk).

I THINK they'd accept it without comment, although I am not 100% sure. It seems that even if they noticed the serial number difference, they wouldn't care, since they'd be getting a phone they could sell as new. Then again, maybe they'd refuse it due to paranoia.
    I was lucky when I called a local Sprint store in Dayton tuesday asking if they received the Treo600, to my amazement they had 2. I grabbed my buddy (fellow T300 user) and off we went to purchase. The best that they could offer was a $50 instant rebate, oh well, HAD TO HAVE IT! After taxes I paid about $590 for the unit.

Looking at my receipt, I have within 14 days of purchase to return for a full refund (not credit to my service plan) if I am not completely satisfied.

I placed an order with Handspring for the $399 price and will return the Sprint purchase when I receive the Handspring phone.

Meanwhile, I will continue to use the AWSOME T600 I have now.

Thanks for posting this information about HS and Sprint refund policy.

Now to negotiate a new contract with Sprint since my current contract will be expiring beginning december.

Very pleased T600 user,
    Nick
    I bought mine yesterday from a local store, and the one I ordered will be here today. I'll call and see if they will just accept the return, or maybe just take it back to my local store, and return it there. It's a new unit, and they told me that it's just hardware. It doesnt matter until it's activated.

I say just return the NEW one, as the original for you guys. That way you dont have to mess with switching s/n's etc what a mess.

Are we crazy for dropping over a grand initially? Maybe. I'll get it back one way or another. Having it one day sooner made a difference, I wouldnt have been able to sleep last night.

I'll post what I do, if I take it to a local store, they'll have a NEW one in stock to be sold.