1.    #1  
    Hi --

I'm about to purchase a SprintPCS T600 from Handspring via their $399 offer, and I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get SprintPCS to waive the $36 activation fee for switching equipment to the new T600 on an exsiting account.

BTW through many CS calls I have not been able to get SprintPCS to agree to sell me a T600 on upgrade from T300 for $200 -- I think this is not a legit offer...

Andy.
    there shouldn't be any cost changing handsets. I've done it many many times. Just call Sprint, and when you talk to Claire say "ESN swap". Claire will get someone for you and tell them the same thing. They will just swap ESNs (electronic serial number [in case you did't know]) in the computer and also give you codes to program the new phone to your account.

I did the Treo 300 to 600 swap just minutes ago, no prob. Check my post in the running thread.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks -- how silly of me to think that SprintPCS CS reps were competent....
  4.    #4  
    More on this:

For the past year, SprintPCS has waived the activation fee involved in switching ESN to a new device.

Without informing anyone (even Handspring!) SprintPCS discontinued this promotion as of 7 October.

According to a well-placed source which I cannot reveal, SprintPCS official policy is to charge activation/switching fee of $36 to activate any new Treo 600.

This includes Treo 600s purchased through the Handspring upgrade promotion, as well as those directly through SprintPCS, and even those purchased at a SprintPCS store.

I am told that Handspring is actually updating its web site as I write this to reflect this development.

Is SprintPCS following this policy with the CDMA T600s out there? Anyone getting out of the ESN switch activation fee?
    Jason, the activation rep I got, insisted that he knew how it worked, and that I must pay the $36 activation, or renew my contract. I didn't want to do the latter, so I was forced to pay the fee. I tried to argue, but he "had to inform me" that I had to either pay or renew. (Not that he didn't encourage me to renew)
  6.    #6  
    Handspring has updated its Treo upgrade program site to read, after you type in a valid Treo serial number, that:

"** ATTENTION: Please note that Sprint will charge you a $36 ESN swap fee to switch your current service plan to your new Treo 600. "
    I also got the upgrade - I called the 800 number listed in the thread, and it worked out on the first call. Whatever works for you - with a service credit, and selling your Treo 300, you'll probably end up with close to the same deal.
    Now I don't feel so bad! I thought I lucked out yesterday morning when my local Sprint store called me to say they had gotten 2 600's in. I ran over and bought one (thinking that Handspring would be offering a mail-in rebate type program). I ended up getting it for $450 (with a 2 year contract as a NEW Sprint customer). However they waived the activation fee, and also gave me an 8pm start time (rather than 9pm) for the Free Nights/Weekends. Initially I was really miffed when I saw the $400 upgrade price from Handspring. But for the $14 net difference, I still think I got a better deal.

Does ANYBODY really think they can get an ADDITIONAL $100-150 off on top of the Handspring deal?
    Yeah, I'm pretty positive I'll get at least another $100 off the Handspring deal. My 300 blew the earpiece/speakerphone recently and they just shipped me a new 300. The new one has a quirk that when opening or closing the lid, the menu drops down on the screen. The manager at the store had complimented me when I was in there initially for not being upset and yelling about my broken phone. Today when I went back and they confirmed that there's a problem with the lid, she automatically offered me $100 service credit if I buy a new phone. They even encouraged me to get the 600 through Handspring, since the store only gets one or two per day, and to call CS to see if they'd give me an additional credit. I'm sure I'll at least get the activation fee waived.

As it stands I'm looking at $399 minus $100 minus whatever I get for my 300 w/cradle on ebay. They are also going to send me a third replacement treo in the mail, so I'll be able to sell a never activated brand new Treo when I list it. I figure I'll get somewhere between $200-$250 for that, so I'm looking at under $100 out of pocket for a Treo 600. Not a bad deal!
    Originally posted by scoopman

Without informing anyone (even Handspring!) SprintPCS discontinued this promotion as of 7 October.

According to a well-placed source which I cannot reveal, SprintPCS official policy is to charge activation/switching fee of $36 to activate any new Treo 600.

The free activation was only for a couple of months. There has always been an activation fee when doing a handset upgrade UNLESS you have a business account (such as through an employer or a group account). You used to be able to do handset swaps online for free for regular consumer accounts but they stopped that on the 7th I believe.

Now you'll get an occasional CSR that you can talk nicely to to waive the activation but not too often.
    Originally posted by sleepysurf
    Does ANYBODY really think they can get an ADDITIONAL $100-150 off on top of the Handspring deal?
    Ummm... yes. I called Monday and inquired about an add a phone option for the T600. Even though the rep knew she could place an order for a 600, through various problems I wasn't able to get one over the phone. But she gave me a $100 new phone credit since I was adding a phone and long time customer (5 years), (I also got a $50 credit for the trouble of not being able to order the phone plus a 50% discount off next months bill which amounts to $68).. this was just a phone credit, not a contract extension.

Local store had a couple of 600's in so I went and got one, and did an add a phone and a 1 year contract extension, so I got the 600 for $499. I have a 2 yr old plan so they added the phone for $10/month including shared vision and M2M. Due to a malfunctioning keyboard on a T300 (and previous problems on other 300's), they are sending me a mail in kit to get credit back on the 300 for $399.

So $100 + $50 + $68 + $100 + $399 = $717 in credits - $599 for the T600 = they gave me $118 to take a T600

And the $100 phone credit and 50% discount for next month I know was due to the fact of treating the lady with the utmost respect and when things were not going my way I assured her I appreciated everything she was doing and in no way did I want her to take offense at my frustration (which I was getting frustrated after almost an hour) and I mentioned I know from reading on the internet that she probably get's lots of rude people and I definately don't her to think I'm one of them. She just fell overself with my understanding of the situation and at me showing that I wasn't upset with her but with the way the computer system was setup.. or possibly not setup correctly for this new phone.
    Last time i swapped phones (June) I tried to use the online activation. As this rarely works I simply called a CSR and they have to legally register your new phone for free as the problem is with them. Have they stopped online activation?
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I have been changing phones for the past 2 years with sprint. I do *NOT* have a biz account.

I have *NEVER* been charged an activation fee.

My friend has done the same.. and NEVER was charged a fee.

What is it with all these people and their "sources" ? The information can't be correct when people here, myself and friends I know have NEVER been charged a fee for swapping phones.
    Originally posted by njchris
    I have been changing phones for the past 2 years with sprint. I do *NOT* have a biz account.

I have *NEVER* been charged an activation fee.

My friend has done the same.. and NEVER was charged a fee.

What is it with all these people and their "sources" ? The information can't be correct when people here, myself and friends I know have NEVER been charged a fee for swapping phones.
    No one has quoted sources. People are relaying their experiences.. and there are more people saying they are being told there is an activation fee than not.

I've had Sprint service since '98. 2 years before that I was one of the first 3 authorized SPCS resellers in my area before there was such a thing as a retail outlet. I still know the account reps around here and get regular updates about any programs or changes within SPCS.

Since I have a business account now I don't know exactly how long there have been activations but it's been at least 2 years maybe longer. And you don't have to call the business solutions department to get help or swap a phone on a business account. You can call the regular SPCS phone number and get anything done on either type of account. More than once while swapping phones I was asked if I realized I would be charged an activation fee (used to be cheaper than $36 ... I think $24 a couple of years ago) and I would have to ask them to look at the account again and notice that it's a biz. account. So people may have biz accounts and not even know it as the CSR usually doesn't even notice it without looking carefully.

You can continue to try and compare you and a couple of friends and a few people online as gospel on whether or not Sprint charges activations or use to charge them, but accept it or not, they've been charging activations on consumer accounts for a LONG time. With the exception of being able to do it online for free for some time.
    When I swapped a phone for my Sanyo 5300 last December they tryed to force me to switch contracts when I got the phone and charge an activation fee. After fighting with the rep on the phone for a little bit, I ended up not paying a dime.

When I finally have a tracking number from HS on my Treo that I ordered yesterday at 9 AM , I plan to start working on Sprint for a service credit to extend my existing contract with them. I should be able to work out $100 for 1 Year, or $150 for two years plus free activation/swap of the Treo for my Sanyo, and the swap of my wife's current phone with the Sanyo (She let me get the Treo so she could get the Sanyo which I can live with , hope when the next Treo comes out she will want the 600 ).
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by rastoma

You can continue to try and compare you and a couple of friends and a few people online as gospel on whether or not Sprint charges activations or use to charge them, but accept it or not, they've been charging activations on consumer accounts for a LONG time. With the exception of being able to do it online for free for some time.
    I didn't say it was gospel. At the very least it is inconsistant and seems to rely on the mood of the CSR????

If there is a policy, they randomly enforce it.