1.    #1  
    Yes, I've become a bit of a buzz-kill around here for all of you Treo 600 fanatics. But let's leave that out of the picture for a moment. I'm reading a lot of threads where people are signing on to a 2-year contract for what looks to me to be an additional $50 savings. To me this is insane. If you want to buy a Treo 600, fine. But a 2-year contract? Don't you all realize how quickly technology changes? Two years is a long time.

Please, I beg of you all, do yourselves a favor and don't get completely lost in the euphoria of it all. Pay the extra $50 and just commit to a one-year contract.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    You couldn't pay me to sign a 2 year contract.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Yes, I've become a bit of a buzz-kill around here for all of you Treo 600 fanatics. But let's leave that out of the picture for a moment. I'm reading a lot of threads where people are signing on to a 2-year contract for what looks to me to be an additional $50 savings. To me this is insane. If you want to buy a Treo 600, fine. But a 2-year contract? Don't you all realize how quickly technology changes? Two years is a long time.

Please, I beg of you all, do yourselves a favor and don't get completely lost in the euphoria of it all. Pay the extra $50 and just commit to a one-year contract.

Scott
    I agree with a $50 for two year deal not being worth it. I won't do anything less than a $150 for two year, which seems fair. That would also cover the Termination fee if I decided to leave. I am going to shoot for $200 first since that is what TreoCentral can sell to new subs for (If they can knock of $50, then Sprint should be able to.)
    I agree with avoiding 2-year contracts (especially for $50), but it's not as drastic as it sounds. The contract is with sprint service, not the phone itself. You can also change your phones and service plans as often as you want within your contract so you are not limited to either a phone (technology) or a level of service.

I signed a two year with my Treo 300 because of an amazing package only available to two-year contracts. I don't regret it becuase, despite their customer service, Sprint has the best service in my area and I will continue to use them for years to come.
    Completely agree. For $50, you're signing away a renegotiating option next year for another $100 discount? Personally, I wouldn't sign a 2-yr deal unless they offered me a Treo 600 for <$100, and guaranteed no surprises in my phone bill over those 2 years.
    especially w/ number portability a reality this fall (hopefully?)
    Originally posted by treoZilla
    especially w/ number portability a reality this fall (hopefully?)
    It is a reality on November 24th. Sign up for a 2 year contract now to save $50 and you're screwed.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    The problem with the Sprint solution isn't the 1yr vs 2yr question. It's that you're paying $600 for a phone you won't ever be able to use on any one else's network.

If I pay that much for a phone, I'm going to have to use it for at least 2 years.

The only choice I see is going with the GSM version. That way, I can do the number portability from AT&T to T Mob or Cingular if I want to. (ok, maybe not AT&T cause they won't ever unlock a phone).

The bottom line: if you go Sprint, your screwed anyway.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Yes, people who sign 2 year contracts are on crack. I believe most who sign 1 year are high on weed. Can't wait for the 'lifetime' contracts to come out.
    lol
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I signed a 2yr agreement with sprint. Yea, sprint has problems, but ive been with them since ' 96. AND, if a better phone and better cellular service comes along, i simply break the contract repay the $150 (according to the CSR I spoke to).

Having said that, it is unlikely that some other service provider will build a superior CDMA network that is significantly cheaper and better than sprint.

Besides, it sounds much better at $450 than $600 (thats really why i signed).
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by santa
    The problem with the Sprint solution isn't the 1yr vs 2yr question. It's that you're paying $600 for a phone you won't ever be able to use on any one else's network.

If I pay that much for a phone, I'm going to have to use it for at least 2 years.

The bottom line: if you go Sprint, your screwed anyway.
    Not quite. You can always sell it on eBay.

Scott
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by halford
    I signed a 2yr agreement with sprint. Yea, sprint has problems, but ive been with them since ' 96. AND, if a better phone and better cellular service comes along, i simply break the contract repay the $150 (according to the CSR I spoke to).

Having said that, it is unlikely that some other service provider will build a superior CDMA network that is significantly cheaper and better than sprint.

Besides, it sounds much better at $450 than $600 (thats really why i signed).
    I'm not concerned about the network. I'm concerned that a better phone will come out within two years. You mention paying $450 vs $600, but the difference between a one-year and a two-year contract should only be $50, not $150. For example, the deal through treocentral right now is $399 with a two-year contract or $449 with a one-year contract (new line of service).

Scott
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    2 years can seem like a long time, but I'm not the type that upgrades to new devices every 6-8 months. By the time I feel the need to ride the tech wave, it'll be closer to 18 months. I'm fine with the contract so long as Sprint stays competitive with price & service. I was with Verizon for the last 3 yrs. and the last 2 of those have been post-contract. The only downside with either Sprint or Verizon is 
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    oops...got cut off.

The downside with Verizon or Sprint is having a phone that pretty much only works on their own network, and the inability to use the phone internationally. Given my day-to-day needs, I opted for a CDMA phone due to the faster data speeds possible.
    I am new to sprint. Got the t600 for $449 with a 2 year contract. Did not have to pay the $36 activation fee.

From the Handspring site: "Treo 600-Only $449 after $150 service credit credit (new service activation and 2 yr contract required)".

This is exactly what I got from Sprint. Is there something better being offered because I can return to Sprint. I neeed Sprint coverage since Verizon is not a possibility and T-Mobile has no coverage in my area. My monthly plan with Sprint is $40 cheaper than my NXT BB package.
    Pocket Addict

Clie UX50/Ti68/Nextel BB 6510/Treo600/SE T637/Audiovox 5600/HP 4700/Audiovox PPC 6601
  17.    #17  
    PocketAddict, check the home page here. Treocentral has their own deal going for new subscribers. I don't know about the activation fee, so you may have to pay that through the Treocentral deal, but I believe they're offering $399 for new subscribers with a two-year contract or $449 with a one-year contract. I'd recommend the latter.

Scott
    One small perk of a 2-year contract is free unlimited PCS to PCS minutes. A money saver if friends and family are all on Sprint. This otherwise costs $5/month or $120 over 2 years.