1.    #1  
    I just received my 600, and not ever having owned a Treo or cellphone/PDA combo before, I've come across some things that are puzzling or concerning me...

1. Keyboard backlight doesn't work like I think it should. According to the manual, I use Option + P to toggle it on or off. When toggled on, the screen dims slightly, and the keyboard is lit up as long as the screen is active. This seems OK. But when toggled off, the screen brightens, but the keyboard still lights up whenever a key is pressed, and stays lit for about 7 seconds afterwards, then goes off till the next keypress. I assumed "off" meant it wouldn't come on at all. Is this working right?

2. Can't use Graffiti to input data. I thought that being this was OS 5, I'd be able to use Graffiti or something to "write" data anywhere on the screen with the stylus, instead of using the keyboard. But so far, I haven't found any app that allows this. And even though the menu options for most screens seem to offer Graffiti command-stroke options, none of them seem to work. Does the 600 really not allow Graffiti input, or some other stylus-based method? If not, why even include a stylus?

3. No email capability. I thought the 600 would come preloaded with some way to send email. I can't find any email-related program on it. I tried sending an SMS msg instead, and it failed to send, telling me that this feature is currently not available, but will be soon, and to use something called "Short Mail" instead. But I can't find anything about "Short Mail" on it or in the manual. How do you send email? (Note that I haven't signed up for any PCS Vision, so not sure if that's related)

4. Can't disconnect from the web/data services. Even though I haven't signed up for Vision, I found I could still access the web and browse around (though i assume it's expensive this way). But I couldn't figure out how to disconnect from the web/data services once I connected. The status indicator continued to show the two gray "data" arrows even after I left the browser app, so I assumed it was still somehow connected to data services, and I couldn't figure out how to disconnect it, other than shutting off wireless mode completely. Once you connect to the web/data services, how do you subsequently disconnect?

5. No MP3 player. I thought I'd read that the 600 would have an MP3 player, but I don't find anything like that loaded on it?

6. No voice dialing. I also thought I'd read that the 600 would have voice dialing capability (I could be wrong tho, or just thinking of my current phone). I see where Sprint offers this somehow through the network, at an additional cost. But my cheap 3-year old Samsung cellphone does voice dialing all on it's own, so I guess I thought the 600 would too...no?

7. Wireless mode wouldn't come on. Somehow last night while trying out different apps and settings, I got to a point where wireless mode simply wouldn't come on. No matter how long I held down the button, or how many times I pressed it, nothing happened. The only way I fixed that was to do a soft reset. Any idea what might have gone wrong? Is this a common occurence?

I appreciate any advice or help you can give me in getting accustomed to this thing.
    Last edited by Morbius; 10/08/2003 at 11:30 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Another quesiton I just thought of...I see that it accepts an SD/MMC card. Is there such a thing as a card for this that would allow you to use one of those wireless headsets, aka BlueTooth?
    Originally posted by Morbius
    Another quesiton I just thought of...I see that it accepts an SD/MMC card. Is there such a thing as a card for this that would allow you to use one of those wireless headsets, aka BlueTooth?
    search = http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t36789/s.html
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    There's a program "recoecho" or something that i got free from handspring that lets you grafiti anywhere on the screen.

And the mp3 players was going to be available free from handspring, whenever they start having stuff (like rebates and sales) available.

that's what i know.
    I just received my 600, and not ever having owned a Treo or cellphone/PDA combo before, I've come across some things that are puzzling or concerning me...

1. Keyboard backlight doesn't work like I think it should. According to the manual, I use Option + P to toggle it on or off. When toggled on, the screen dims slightly, and the keyboard is lit up as long as the screen is active. This seems OK. But when toggled off, the screen brightens, but the keyboard still lights up whenever a key is pressed, and stays lit for about 7 seconds afterwards, then goes off till the next keypress. I assumed "off" meant it wouldn't come on at all. Is this working right?

THAT IS NORMAL.

2. Can't use Graffiti to input data. I thought that being this was OS 5, I'd be able to use Graffiti or something to "write" data anywhere on the screen with the stylus, instead of using the keyboard. But so far, I haven't found any app that allows this. And even though the menu options for most screens seem to offer Graffiti command-stroke options, none of them seem to work. Does the 600 really not allow Graffiti input, or some other stylus-based method? If not, why even include a stylus?

STYLUS WORKS FOR NON 5-WAY ENABLED APPS

3. No email capability. I thought the 600 would come preloaded with some way to send email. I can't find any email-related program on it. I tried sending an SMS msg instead, and it failed to send, telling me that this feature is currently not available, but will be soon, and to use something called "Short Mail" instead. But I can't find anything about "Short Mail" on it or in the manual. How do you send email? (Note that I haven't signed up for any PCS Vision, so not sure if that's related)

GET SNAPPERMAIL.

4. Can't disconnect from the web/data services. Even though I haven't signed up for Vision, I found I could still access the web and browse around (though i assume it's expensive this way). But I couldn't figure out how to disconnect from the web/data services once I connected. The status indicator continued to show the two gray "data" arrows even after I left the browser app, so I assumed it was still somehow connected to data services, and I couldn't figure out how to disconnect it, other than shutting off wireless mode completely. Once you connect to the web/data services, how do you subsequently disconnect?

YOU DO HAVE VISION.
    IT WILL NOT DISCONNECT.

5. No MP3 player. I thought I'd read that the 600 would have an MP3 player, but I don't find anything like that loaded on it?

WE'VE GOT TO WAIT. UGH.

6. No voice dialing. I also thought I'd read that the 600 would have voice dialing capability (I could be wrong tho, or just thinking of my current phone). I see where Sprint offers this somehow through the network, at an additional cost. But my cheap 3-year old Samsung cellphone does voice dialing all on it's own, so I guess I thought the 600 would too...no?

NO VOICE DIALING FROM THE DEVICE -- ON THE NETWORK.

7. Wireless mode wouldn't come on. Somehow last night while trying out different apps and settings, I got to a point where wireless mode simply wouldn't come on. No matter how long I held down the button, or how many times I pressed it, nothing happened. The only way I fixed that was to do a soft reset. Any idea what might have gone wrong? Is this a common occurence?

I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCE THIS.

I appreciate any advice or help you can give me in getting accustomed to this thing.
    1. Keyboard backlight doesn't work like I think it should. [...] Is this working right?
    Yep, it's working right. A better way to think about it would be to think of the "opt + p" to mean "night use mode." Really, I think you'll find this setup nice once you're used to it.

2. Can't use Graffiti to input data.
    hm, not sure on that one. there are several programs at www.palmgear.com that will probably work. Make sure that whatever you get it os 5 compatible. I imagine that Handspring will post some software on their website sometime soon.

3. No email capability.
    Can't say for sure, but check the CD that came with the treo, there might be something there. Otherwise there are plenty of software clients at www.palmgear.com. A good, albeit old, free one is Eudora.

4. Can't disconnect from the web/data services.
    why exactly do you want to disconnect?

will be available as a download from handspring.

6. No voice dialing.
    right. you can sign up for the sprint service, i suppose. really, the ability to hit one or two buttons on the thumbboard is faster and more reliable than voice dialing, imo.

7. Wireless mode wouldn't come on.
    That is odd, but it's good that a soft reset fixed it. The 600 is new enough that we don't really know its quirks yet.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the responses folks. Actually, I forwarded the same list to HandSpring, and got back pretty much the same answers. The only one that really surprises me is that the 600 apparently doesn't handle Graffiti input. Here's what they sent:

1. Keyboard backlight. The description on the keyboard backlight
    that you
    gave is the way that it is supposed to work. The light is very low
    power
    consumption, so it was designed to turn on and off whenever you use the
    Treo
    2. Graffiti. The keyboard was put in place of graffiti because the
    keyboard is 2-5 times faster and more accurate than graffiti. The
    stylus is
    included because some applications still require the screen to be
    touched.
    3. E-mail capability. Sprint has an email solution called Business
    Connection that should meet all of your email needs. Please contact
    them
    for additional information.
    4. Web disconnection. To disconnect from the web, select another
    application key such as the phone application key. This will
    disconnect the
    Treo 600 from the web, the two grey data arrows are indicators of
    recent
    connection which when reconnecting will save time for the new
    connection.
    5. MP3 player. When you register your Treo 600 on the Handspring
    website
    you will be given the option to select one of two products. One being
    the
    MP3 player and the other being a game.
    6. Voice Dialing. The Treo 600 is not voice activated but you can
    contact
    Sprint and they have a voice activation solution for dialing. You will
    need
    to contact them for additional information.
    7. Wireless Mode. To turn on the wireless modem, the wireless
    application
    button located at the base of the antenna is the button used to turn on
    and
    off the wireless mode. The power button located on the bottom right
    hand
    side of the screen is used to turn on and off the screen only.