1.    #1  
    in switzerland the treo 600 starts today selling by orange. is there a chance to unlock the simlock to use this phone by a other provider?

thanks helix
    Salut Helix,

Désolé, for the moment it is not possible to have the phone unlocked. I am with Swisscom and Orange but I would prefer to use Swisscom and not Orange

Bonne journée
    www.gsmworld.com
    I just received an email from SWISSCOM mobile. Treo 600 will be coming out at the end of November for Swisscom customers!
    They told me they are testing it for the future convience for their customers!
    I discussed this with a sympathetic Orange customer service representative. Apparently the lock can be removed for a £20 fee in the UK, see below.

Donald

"The only possibility for you to use the phone
    on the USA network, is to take up a twelve
    month agreement with Orange, pay off the
    12 month contract in advance and an unlocking
    fee of £20.

Please note that in order to take up a pay monthly
    agreement, you must be a UK resident with a
    permanent UK address.

I hope this information is of help"
    Yes, that is the case with any handset on the Orange network.

The unlock is done by tapping in your phone's unique unlock code which is derived from the handset's IMEI (serial) number. Surely someone must have figured out how to unlock the older GSM Treos; The process must be similar?

SPV users were unlocking their Orange branded handsets within 3-4 weeks of it's launch!
    For a slightly better explanation of the process involved have a look at the automatic unlock tool from Handspring for the Treo 180

UNLOCK YOUR TREO 180

________

I've been reading up on the subject and it seems that nobody has managed to find a way to unlock their Treo "from home". As the US is the primary market for the devices it is understandable that few owners look to unlock their handset. Even with an unlocked Treo, finding another service provider running on the same frequency can be difficult. Unlike Europe where having more than one SIM card is becoming commonplace, in the US most mobile owners have one phone per handset (particularly as many of their handsets dont use sim cards). With our GSM handsets and a multitide of networks to choose from however, unlocking is much more desirable.

We just need to wait for the American market to join the rest of the world with GSM, and it won't be long before there are home hackers putting together unlock apps.
    Last edited by omar_g; 10/27/2003 at 06:15 PM.
    Hi BS-Freak

Guess the are learning fast at Swisscom, the last time I called to inquire availability of the Treo600 they did not know much about it....;-)

So let's hope that the date given will be maintained and is not some tactical delay to keep customers from changing providers.

Have a great day.
    rgds
    Thomas

Originally posted by BS-Freak
    I just received an email from SWISSCOM mobile. Treo 600 will be coming out at the end of November for Swisscom customers!
    They told me they are testing it for the future convience for their customers!