1.    #1  
    I'd like to hear some more first impressions - anyone have anything else to offer up? thanks!!
    My first impressions...

feels much more solid than the Treo300

Speed is awesome... so much faster than the Tre300, it plays MP3's and movie clips with no problems at all... anyone try gameboy emulators yet?

Screen is great, much brighter than the Treo300, and you can view the screen in sunlight.... a 16bit screen would have been better so the images are not so banded... a high-res screen is the only thing I would really wish for on the Treo...

Expansion slot works great...

Five-way pad is great, don't really need the stylus once you get the hang of things

Keyboard is small, but works fine...

Camera is ok, as long as you have good light and a steady hand when taking pics...

phone reception seems better than the Treo300

having the headset jack on the bottom is a pain or obvious reasons....

I like the jog dial on the side of the Treo300 better than the buttons on the side of the 600...
    Last edited by Fikse; 10/08/2003 at 10:41 AM.
    I like everything so far. I was expecting the screen to be a little nicer, considering all the hype, but its totally usable. It is similar in quality to the Treo300 screen but smaller, brighter and the refresh rate is higher. I'm coming from a Samsung A500 + Tungsten C.

The mp3 player using pocket tunes is GREAT. I used a 2.5 adapter from radio shack I had leftover from my HP 1910 days. It works but you have to hold it in to get stereo. The audio quality is NOTICEABLY better than my PC and my MPIO DMG mp3 player, the sound just seems to have more fidelity.

The camera is ok, I had a Samsung VGA1000 and the picture quality is on par (or a little worse) than that, but I don't care about the camera.

The keyboard is fairly easy to use, its easy to grasp a key and hit it.

The center button on my unit is mushy.

I noticed one dead pixel in the lower left quadrant.

Battery life seems to be on par with estimates. I played with it for 4 hours, then talked for a total of 3 hours and had 31% left.

The SD card pops out too easily.

That's about it.
  4.    #4  
    how do you feel about the size of the unit? is it pocketable (honest opinion)? like pants pocket?
    Oh I forgot, web browsing on blazer was SLOW last night, but seems to be a little better this morning.

I seem to remember the Samsung i500 rendering pages faster with WebProV. I installed that but got a crash.

I had a i500 for about 10 days, they both "feel" the same speed, the screen on the i500 is much better. The Treo600 seems more stable and the phone is better integrated.
    I've been carrying the treo in my front pants pocket. Naked, it is ok, but with the slip cover on, it becomes bulky. I cut up a screen protector that I had and am using that.
    Originally posted by nomoresprint
    It is similar in quality to the Treo300 screen but smaller, brighter and the refresh rate is higher.
    Am I the only one who thinks the Treo 300's screen is plenty bright enough? I suppose this translates to better outdoor viewability, though.

Originally posted by nomoresprint
    The mp3 player using pocket tunes is GREAT. I used a 2.5 adapter from radio shack I had leftover from my HP 1910 days. It works but you have to hold it in to get stereo. The audio quality is NOTICEABLY better than my PC and my MPIO DMG mp3 player, the sound just seems to have more fidelity.
    Thank you for these comments. This is one of the big questions I still had. Hopefully the issue with having to hold the plug in is related to your Radio Shack adaptor and is not an issue that affects the Handspring-branded adaptor (though don't get me started on why they aren't bundling this in the box). Can you comment on how the audio compares to your old iPaq 1910? Have you heard audio for the iPod and, if so, can you compare it to that?

Thanks,

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    how do you feel about the size of the unit? is it pocketable (honest opinion)? like pants pocket?
    I think it's pocketable with or without the slipcase. There is a bit of a bulge if you use the slipcase, but I think it's tolerable. I'm just waiting until I can get a belt holster that fits.
    I think the audio adapter issue is related to the fact that the rings may not be in the right spot (i.e. it will be solved with Treos adapter).

I don't think the sound quality is as good as an Ipod but I'm willing to guess only audiophiles will be able to tell. I was listeing to 256kbps VBR mp3s. I had the HP1910 last year so it's hard to compare, but I would say the treo sounds better. I'm not an audiophile, btw. The sound just sounded suprisingly good.

As for the Treo300's brightness, I found the brightness ok. In fact the 600's is TOO bright. But I noticed, at least on the 300 I had, the lighting was uneven, it looked like there was an LED in only 1 corner. The 600 is lit from the right. And in case anyone freaks out, the screen is not centered, it is shifted to the left (I assume to make room for the bulbs on the right).