Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Once you receive your treo 600 how long should you charge it before using it?
    Originally posted by tank41
    Once you receive your treo 600 how long should you charge it before using it?
    Even though I don't actually have a Treo yet, the user manual I have suggests 3 hours or until the LED goes solid green.
    The battery has no memory, so as I understand it, nothing bad will happen if you use it when it's only partially charged.

However, it took about an hour of charging for me to get the battery ALMOST full. I think the manual is being conservative. Two hours should do it easily.
    Since I had to run out to an appt the second I received my 600, I just put it on the charger and left. When I got back 2.5 hrs later it was fully charged with a green light.
    I played with it for a few hours and the battery indicator never went down. To be sure I charged it overnight
    Carl
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Thanks. The people on this board are the best.
    There is the backup battery that insures your data is not lost when we run out of juice. I would wait for a solid green to say go, go, go.
    Originally posted by wombat2
    The battery has no memory, so as I understand it, nothing bad will happen if you use it when it's only partially charged.

However, it took about an hour of charging for me to get the battery ALMOST full. I think the manual is being conservative. Two hours should do it easily.
    I don't know a great deal about batteries, but I believe Lithium Ion batteries (like the one in the 600) does prefer to be constantly topped up rather than fully discharged/recharged. However, what the effect of not completely charging the battery the first time might be, I wouldn't like to say.

For the sake of an hour, it is probably better to be safe than sorry.
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    There is the backup battery that insures your data is not lost when we run out of juice. I would wait for a solid green to say go, go, go.
    Are you sure the 600 has a backup battery? If it does, then it's different from previous Palm and Handspringt devices (I don't know about others like Sony's). They rather contain a capacitor that holds a charge that keeps memory safe for a short period after the battery runs out.
    Consumer Lithium batteries usually have a LVC (low voltage cutoff) to prevent them from dropping below 3v. This is why your phone shuts off sudddenly when it is dead instead of fading. Lithium cells can be damaged by either going below the LVC or by excessive discharge (almost impossible w/ a pda).

BACKUP BATTERY?---

Did the treo 300 have a backup battery? Anytime its battery died on me I lost all my data..... It made me mad everytime...