1.    #1  
    I knowmost of you are former 300 users...I had been usng a palm zire 71 which has a 320 x 480 vga camera; same as the 600. I used my zire camera all the time both indoors and out. now the indor pics were definitely not always great while the outdoor pics were frequently quite good. It seems form all the early postings that the 600 camera is very bad. Would there be some kind of major difference between the two? is the low rez vs. hi rez screen an issue? when the pics are hot synced they are suppossed to be at full resolution....so whats the deal? any former zire 71 users who are now 600 users? I'm waiting for UPS to calll me at 10am to let me know what time today I should slip out of work and await "my precious"! thanks
    The Treo has a 640x480 camera.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
  3.    #3  
    sorry... I miss typed...but back to the comparison.....
    I think any pictures that don't have flashes or at least 2 megapixels are toys (i.e. just for e-mailing to friends or putting up on a website) at best.

I think a camera has to be about 7th on your feature list to not be disappointed with it. It's around 12th on mine.
    The camera is what I expected.

I think some people here may have had unrealistic expectations. It is not going to be capable of producing pictures good enough to print. It is good enough for quickie Web/e-mail use, for example, sending your wife a picture of a riding lawn mower at Home Depot to get approval before you buy it, or the like. It's also fine for snapping photos to display as part of the caller ID feature (in fact, this can be great fun ...)

Small glass, 640x480, no flash ... what did you expect? The camera's fine for what it is. I would not buy this PDA for the camera. In fact, I didn't even pay attention to the camera until I received the Treo. I didn't expect to use it at all.

Part of the issue with pictures that have been posted, by the way, are that they were mostly taken at night. Ones taken during the day are a lot better, although still not great.

http://wombat2.textamerica.com/ to see a few shots taken in various light levels. Note: 293x180 instead of the full 640x480 because of my inexperience at getting photos out of the Treo.
    Originally posted by wombat2
    The camera is what I expected.

I think some people here may have had unrealistic expectations. It is not going to be capable of producing pictures good enough to print. It is good enough for quickie Web/e-mail use, for example, sending your wife a picture of a riding lawn mower at Home Depot to get approval before you buy it, or the like. It's also fine for snapping photos to display as part of the caller ID feature (in fact, this can be great fun ...)

Small glass, 640x480, no flash ... what did you expect? The camera's fine for what it is. I would not buy this PDA for the camera. In fact, I didn't even pay attention to the camera until I received the Treo. I didn't expect to use it at all.

Part of the issue with pictures that have been posted, by the way, are that they were mostly taken at night. Ones taken during the day are a lot better, although still not great.

http://wombat2.textamerica.com/ to see a few shots taken in various light levels. Note: 293x180 instead of the full 640x480 because of my inexperience at getting photos out of the Treo.
    I agree. I'm on my 3rd or 4th camera phone from Sprint and these pics from the Treo look fine. I'll take some comparison shots with my A600 and post the results later on.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    My expectations were not high. They were incredibly low. And I'm disappointed to say that based on sample photos I'm seeing, my expectations were fully met.

I've said it 100 times before, but I'll say it again. It is not impossible to create a 640x480 no-flash camera that takes good pictures. It has been done. This just isn't an example of one.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    My expectations were not high. They were incredibly low. And I'm disappointed to say that based on sample photos I'm seeing, my expectations were fully met.

I've said it 100 times before, but I'll say it again. It is not impossible to create a 640x480 no-flash camera that takes good pictures. It has been done. This just isn't an example of one.

Scott
    Amen... the Nokia 3650 takes much better pictures... same 640x480 no flash. My old digital camera takes half-decent 640x480 pictures too.

It's not neccesarily the resolution that makes a camera good. It doesn't matter if you have 5 million pixels, if half of them are blue whenever you are indoor, the camera still sucks.