Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi

Excuse the newbie question but I would like to replace my Palm Tungsten W (disappointing) with the Treo and I wondered if one will be able to use it with a laptop (I have a PowerBook) as a modem, using the USB lead that one uses for sync etc.

Also - Can I use the Treo to browse the contents of SD cards when it is connected to my Mac?

Incidentally, does the travel USB lead also charge the Treo?

Thank you

Steve
    You can use the Treo600 as a modem, see here:

http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/

you'll need an SD card reader to browse the contents to the SD card....

you can get a separate usb cable that will charge and sync your treo using the power of your laptop
    If you bought wireless modem for the Treo 300, can you download a different version for the Treo 600 without being charged? Probably a question for NotifyMail...but if anyone knows?

Thanks!
    Matt
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for your help Fikse

I tried this for my Tungsten W but it was flaky. Do you think it'll work over bluetooth with a Palm Bluetooth card?

Steve
    good question..... palm markets the bluetooth card to connect your palm to your bluetooth phone for internet connectivity...

we're going the other way, using the Treo600s built in internet connection to send out the data over bluetooth to a laptop...

anyone have one to test out?
    Originally posted by NCTreo300
    If you bought wireless modem for the Treo 300, can you download a different version for the Treo 600 without being charged? Probably a question for NotifyMail...but if anyone knows?

Thanks!
    Matt
    Same version works with the Treo 600. I'll be posting a Mac OS X specific build tomorrow that makes it easier to use.
    Thanks, Scott. My 600 will arrive just in time.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    So, just to confirm, Wireless Modem actually works over the USB cable with the Treo connected to the PowerBook? I assume it just looks like a regular modem to the OS X Remote Access software?

Does it use GPRS, or is it CSD only? CSD is better than nothing, but horribly slow...
    Would it work like a modem, or like a very slow LAN connection to the web?

I don't suppose I would tell my Treo to dial my ISP since it's already "online" all the time.

Am I missing something?
    Originally posted by sharding
    So, just to confirm, Wireless Modem actually works over the USB cable with the Treo connected to the PowerBook? I assume it just looks like a regular modem to the OS X Remote Access software?

Does it use GPRS, or is it CSD only? CSD is better than nothing, but horribly slow...
    Yes, WirelessModem works over USB with the PowerBook. It will use GPRS or CSD depending on how you configure your modem/network settings.
    Originally posted by Reevis
    Would it work like a modem, or like a very slow LAN connection to the web?

I don't suppose I would tell my Treo to dial my ISP since it's already "online" all the time.

Am I missing something?
    It works like a modem. You do have to tell your laptop to dial your ISP as your Treo has to disconnect from the network before your laptop can connect.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Another option if you want to use the included USB cable is June Fabric's PDANet. They have a Treo600 specific version now.

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/

-Marc
    Hmm is there any reason you can just connect to a powerbook with a USB cable, and dial #777? Or does that not work with Treos?

Works like a charm with my Sanyoo 8100
    Originally posted by snahabed
    Hmm is there any reason you can just connect to a powerbook with a USB cable, and dial #777? Or does that not work with Treos?

Works like a charm with my Sanyoo 8100
    The Treo's USB connector is connected to the PDA and not the radio. The 8100 and other phones have the USB connector hooked directly to the radio and therefore you can easily use those phones as a modem.
    My response to the infamous modem question from SPRINT (see below).

How's that for customer service! Of course Sprint is full of @#%@%!, trying to gouge their customers. They also wanted to cahrge me $36 for just changing phones.

PDANEt (http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/) works like a charm. Kudos to the developers.

-----------FROM SPRINT--------------------------------
    This is in response to your concern about using the Treo 600 Phone as a modem.

We will not assist you to use your Treo 600 Phone as a modem. You will also not be able to use your new phone as a modem.

I appreciate your cooperation.

eCare
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by weisshb; 10/12/2003 at 02:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Originally posted by sgruby

It works like a modem. You do have to tell your laptop to dial your ISP as your Treo has to disconnect from the network before your laptop can connect.
    I'm confused about this. In the docs, it states to enter #777 for the phone number. Doesn't this automatically connect it to Sprint's network? And if not, where exactly do we enter the phone # for the isp? Thanks. BTW, I've also joined the mailing list so maybe these questions have already been answered there.
    Last edited by SoCal Cal; 10/20/2003 at 02:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    bump
    Originally posted by SoCal Cal

I'm confused about this. In the docs, it states to enter #777 for the phone number. Doesn't this automatically connect it to Sprint's network? And if not, where exactly do we enter the phone # for the isp? Thanks. BTW, I've also joined the mailing list so maybe these questions have already been answered there.
    You enter the phone number on your laptop. You don't do anything on the Treo besides run WirelessModem and do the configuration. It will automatically disconnect you from Vision, then when your laptop connects, your laptop will get connected to Vision.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    So you actually DON'T need to enter the ISP phone number? Maybe I'm not completely clear on how Vision works? I was under the assumption that most phones can connect to a laptop and be used as a modem THROUGH the Vision portal without any need for third-party ISPs to be involved. I was hoping that by using wirelessmodem, the same could be achieved with the Treo 600 since it can't be configured this way out of the box.

What I'm confused about is the need for a third-party ISP. In a previous post it said that a phone number for the ISP would be needed. Does that mean that the Treo 600 would basically be used as a wireless modem completely separate from Vision? The modem would just use the wireless network and be charged as a data call since the connection is not being made THROUGH Vision?

Hope someone can unconfuse me! Thanks.
    Originally posted by SoCal Cal
    So you actually DON'T need to enter the ISP phone number? Maybe I'm not completely clear on how Vision works? I was under the assumption that most phones can connect to a laptop and be used as a modem THROUGH the Vision portal without any need for third-party ISPs to be involved. I was hoping that by using wirelessmodem, the same could be achieved with the Treo 600 since it can't be configured this way out of the box.

What I'm confused about is the need for a third-party ISP. In a previous post it said that a phone number for the ISP would be needed. Does that mean that the Treo 600 would basically be used as a wireless modem completely separate from Vision? The modem would just use the wireless network and be charged as a data call since the connection is not being made THROUGH Vision?

Hope someone can unconfuse me! Thanks.
    You enter #777 as the phone number. Sprint/Vision is your ISP. If you dial #777, it is charged as a normal Vision call (free for most). However, the terms and conditions may say otherwise. You should check out the information on HowardForums or other sites on using your phone as a modem. The only difference with WirelessModem is that you have to install software on the Treo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast