Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Got my new Treo 600 yesterday, and even though the phone portion didn't work (a replacement is on the way), I got to experiment with the PDA functionality pretty extensively.

I know there are a few threads out there that are very positive about the device - and I agree with a lot of what is being written - I have to say that I am mildly disappointed with the device.

First the Screen ... even though it is much brighter than my Treo 300s screen, the resolution (as documented) is the same. Pictures look fairly pixelated, and the color banding is very apparent (12-bit). It is definately readable in direct sunlight, but I was hoping it would be a little better.

I downloaded Kimona Movie Player last night and watched a few trailers, while the video was silky smooth, the low resolution screen definately degraded the viewing experience.

The camera ... really nothing more than a novelty. Pretty useless indoors unless you have extremely bright light. The resolution is just plain poor.

The Keyboard ... much more difficult to use than the keyboard on the 300. I guess I will get use to it over time, but my first impressions are negative.

Form factor ... I like the size, but it seems to be a bit heavy.

Enough complaining ...

The SD slot, Palm OS 5, and the faster ARM processor make it a step up from the Treo 300, but IMHO it is definately not a giant leap forward in the world of smartphones.
    > ...The Keyboard ... my first impressions are negative...

Sorta like a potential customer seeing it for the first time in the store and going "Ewwwww"?
    Thanks for being Honest, no doubt we need to hear the good and the bad points.

Take care.
    1. LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, MIND, AND STRENGTH. 2. AND LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF. (even when it's tough, This is Perfection).
    My initial thoughts about the keyboard were also negative, but I think I may actually like it more than the 300's keyboard, now that I've used it enough to get over the initial brain remapping needed due to the change in space between keys.

Camera - I didn't expect much from it. I agree, it will produce good-looking pictures only in daylight. But indoor pictures can still be funny. A couple of friends and I entertained ourselves last night for about an hour snapping photos.

Screen res - we all knew that it would be 160x160. While we may be disappointed that Handspring didn't ramp it up, I don't know how this could be a surprise at this point. The screen is exactly what I expected.

Sorry the phone part didn't work. Good luck with the replacement. Mine has worked flawlessly in all respects ...
    This is exactly why I'm not buying a t600 for now. I'm not going to spend $500 to upgrade from my $300 t300 if the new one's evolutionary, not revolutionary.
    the screen definitley should be a surprise to no one. it has been one of the most hotly debated issues about the t600. i have also found the keyboard a little to get used to, but i am sure i will get over that. the faster processer, and bettery battery life are huge. i have not played with mine all that much, baiscally just loaded my apps and synced. i will let one of the guys that works with me figure out how to do all the new/cool stuff and then show me.
    Carl
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how the screen compares to the SPH i500 screen? I have that now, and picture viewing is something I do pretty often. I know the brightness is solid. I'm looking for resolution and color.
    Originally posted by wombat2

<snip>

Camera - I didn't expect much from it. I agree, it will produce good-looking pictures only in daylight. But indoor pictures can still be funny. A couple of friends and I entertained ourselves last night for about an hour snapping photos.

<snip
    IMO, it doesn't produce "good-looking" pictures in any conditions. The camera is a waste and again, IMO, one shouldn't buy the phone with that in mind. With this quality, I would have preferred that HS leave the camera off and reduce the price. My wife's Sanyo takes better pictures and I thought that was crappy.
    Maniac, don't you know that the Treo 600's camera is not intended for serious photo taking? It's for "fun" photos only.

Handspring is launching a new ad campaign called "What the heck is that?" They're going to take a bunch of photos with the Treo 600's camera, and whoever guesses what they're a picture of wins a Treo 600.

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit loopy today.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The I500's screen should be nicer, since it's 65k colors. The Treo's screen is 4k colors. Not sure about resolution, but even if they're the same, the Samsung wins strictly on the screen.

If viewing photos is crucial, you may consider a different setup altogether, such as a Tungsten T3 and bluetooth phone.
    The camera in my Sanyo 5300 sucks in poor lighting conditions too. The Treo will be worse since it doen't even have the "flash" (I use the term loosely since the Sanyo flash is poor).

I did not buy my Sanyo for the camera, I bought it because it was the best phone with the best reception that Sprint has, the camera was just happen to come with it. I want a Treo 600 for a PDA/phone so I can keep all my business and personal (father of three boys, Scout Leader and soccer coach) contacts and appointments straight. The Treo again just happens to have a camera.

Don't ever think that you will be replacing a real digital camera any time soon with a phone, because it will be a while before you see a 3.2 MP camera in a phone.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    rventuri, I agreed with you 100% and fortunately, I am still holind back from buying the Treo 600, instead, I bought the Palm Tungsten T3 for it's bigger screen almost doubled sized than my Treo, 400 Mhz OS 5.2.1, 320x480 res. color screen and the lanscape view feature. All these above goodies just a dream for Treo 600 users. I will keep my Treo 270 just as a phone period.
    Originally posted by tumbler1
    rventuri, I agreed with you 100% and fortunately, I am still holind back from buying the Treo 600, instead, I bought the Palm Tungsten T3 for it's bigger screen almost doubled sized than my Treo, 400 Mhz OS 5.2.1, 320x480 res. color screen and the lanscape view feature. All these above goodies just a dream for Treo 600 users. I will keep my Treo 270 just as a phone period.
    Why do so many people feel that the Treo 600 should be a top of the line PDA with the largest screen, fastest processor, ect. The goal of the converged device is to get good PDA and phone functionallity in a single device with a small form factor. This what HS did and judging by the reviews and responses it will pay off.

The T3 is a sweet PDA, but the Treo 270/300 are not good phone only devices. You should look into a small bluetooth capable phone to at least get some sort of converged functionallity. Sony makes some laptops now that aren't much bigger than the combined size of the two devices that you will be using.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Originally posted by wombat2
    The I500's screen should be nicer, since it's 65k colors. The Treo's screen is 4k colors. Not sure about resolution, but even if they're the same, the Samsung wins strictly on the screen.

If viewing photos is crucial, you may consider a different setup altogether, such as a Tungsten T3 and bluetooth phone.
    Wombat, thanks for the response. Viewing pics isn't crucial, I just like to have a good supply of pics of my kids for when I travel. Too bad the colors are so weak compared to other color phones.
    Originally posted by tumbler1
    rventuri, I agreed with you 100% and fortunately, I am still holind back from buying the Treo 600, instead, I bought the Palm Tungsten T3 for it's bigger screen almost doubled sized than my Treo...
    Almost double? The Tungsten T3's screen is 6x the resolution of the Treo's!!!

Scott
    Originally posted by lnichols
    Why do so many people feel that the Treo 600 should be a top of the line PDA with the largest screen, fastest processor, ect. The goal of the converged device is to get good PDA and phone functionallity in a single device with a small form factor.
    That's just it. That's your definition of what a good convergence device is. Clearly, that's Handspring's as well. For some of us, however, we have slightly different reasons why we arrived at our older Treo's and for us this "upgrade" is anything but.

This what HS did and judging by the reviews and responses it will pay off.
    Well, just because there are a lot of excited people here and the press has been positive, it doesn't mean that it will be successful. I agree that this design will appeal to the mainstream consumer more than the old Treo's design, but the price most definitely will not.

The T3 is a sweet PDA, but the Treo 270/300 are not good phone only devices.
    This is the part I can't follow. Why is the Treo 300 a worse phone-only device than the Treo 600? Because you have to flip it open? Because it's a little larger? The D-Pad is a nice improvement, but the my Treo 300's jog wheel isn't bad.

Scott
    Originally posted by davsug

I just like to have a good supply of pics of my kids for when I travel.
    Of course, you can always download higher quality pictures for viewing on the 600. I think handspring has a free program on their site for this. Certainly there are other programs out there as well.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Come on guys, this is a 4x2 inch (roughly) device for around $600. What do you expect? Sure they could have made it compete w/ the NX90 or whatever but have you held that thing? It's a friggin' $800 brick! AND you have to carry a phone w/ it.

I don't carry a briefcase w/ me during the day, so I need something that is small enough to carry in my pocket and there isn't enough room in there to carry 2 devices (even a T3 and a i68 is too much.) The T600 fits the bill for me. If it doesn't fit yours, you have a better belt than I do to hold all that up.
    why don't some people post a few photos from the camera? No one should expect this to compete with a 5 megapixel camera. It's just for snapshots. I used to have a sidekick and the camera was basically useless for anything other than capturing a moment during the day.

And speaking of, since the Treo 600 now has a camera, I wonder about setting up something similar to what the sidekick has at Hiptop Nation where it's a photo blog community. You take a photo and email it in and it's automatically posted....
    Some photos have been posted. Browse around for threads that mention the camera or photos in the subject line ...

Here are some of mine, but they are only 293x180 or something like that, because when I sent them I didn't realize that I was sending truncated versions. The full 640x480 versions presumably look better, and as soon as I get a chance, I'll post some of those. I meant to last night but got sidetracked.

http://wombat2.textamerica.com/

Guess what I got sidetracked by? Playing with the camera! My girlfriend and a buddy were over and we spent about an hour clowning around with the camera, setting goofy photos to appear when they call, etc. I am not impressed with the resolution, but I am impressed with the seamless, easy use of the camera for e-mailing and for using to identify callers. It's so quick and easy to send photos that today, I snapped a photo while a friend at work was starting to talk about phones, and he had the picture in his inbox in 30 seconds while he was still talking.

More philosophically - no device is all things to all people. If you want the maximum amount of power in a small device, get a T3 or an iPAQ. If you want the maximum power in a smartphone, get a G1000. The Treo is more about form factor, style and lifestyle integration than it is raw horsepower, and I doubt that will ever change. No matter how much technology progresses, you'll always be able to fit more power into a bigger, more expensive device. If there are 700 MHz Treos in a year and a half, there will probably also be 1.4 GHz iPAQs at the same time. I do agree that higher resolution on the screen would have been nice, but we all knew what the Treo's res would be, and the design limits the screen's physical size. If you don't like the Treo, you don't have to buy one. The T3/608 combo also seems very appealing (if Sprint ever gets around to releasing the 608).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast