Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    You would think a $600 device would at least have screen technology that is circa 2002, not 1997. I have a pretty extensive collection of PDAs, the oldest being an old Casio E100 and it had 16-bit color. I believe it came out in the late 90s.

One of the main benefits of having an SD slot and a faster ARM processor is the ability to watch or even stream video on the device. Unfortunately, the resolution and color depth of the screen really makes the video look unappealing.

And yes, I knew what the resolution and color depth was before I bought it, but I was hoping it would be much better than the Treo 300 (which I also own). When I turned them on side by side, the only difference was that the 600 was brighter (stronger side light)and had smoother looking icons.

Will the 600 have mass market appeal?, probably not. I imagine about as many 600s will be sold as the early Treo models combined. Very few wireless users (except for mainly heavy business users and technophiles) are going to shell out $600 for a phone. Especially one that dosen't even have the latest available technology.

We need to be careful not to judge the mass market appeal of the 600 by what we read on this board. All of us are here because we have a strong interest in these type of devices. The average soccer mom and nascar dad really could care less.

I read in a post on another thread that some Sprint rep sold 5,600 Treo 600s in 2 hours. I strongly doubt if all the Sprint reps combined have sold 5,600 since Monday.
    > ...Will the 600 have mass market appeal?, probably not....

Yup yup yup.

> ... read in a post on another thread that some Sprint rep sold
    > 5,600 Treo 600s in 2 hours. I strongly doubt if all the Sprint
    > reps combined have sold 5,600 since Monday...

There have now been numerous posts that STRONGLY imply Sprint took delivery of less than 3000 Treo 600s.

5600 sold by one CSR?

Hmmmm....
    I agree that it won't have mass market appeal, due to the price ... but I don't think it's even really intended to have mass market appeal. It's a niche product and will remain so, I would imagine, for a few more years. I do think that in five or ten years, most people will be walking around with some descendant of this type of device ... but we're definitely early adopters here.
    Originally posted by rventuri
    Will the 600 have mass market appeal?, probably not. I imagine about as many 600s will be sold as the early Treo models combined. Very few wireless users (except for mainly heavy business users and technophiles) are going to shell out $600 for a phone. Especially one that dosen't even have the latest available technology.
    I agree that I'm disappointed with the screen as well, but I think the focus on the price is misguided. The phone is $600/$400 now but the price will plummet long before there's a major change in the form factor. Treo 270/300's have been available cheap for a while. In 6 months or so, so will these. There will be contract restrictions, but there always are with phones.
    A couple of things...

1) Please stop making the issue of the poor camera quality about resolution. The problem is not that this is not a 5MP camera. The problem is that it's a lousy camera. The Nokia 3650 has been out forever and has the same resolution but offers much better picture quality. Considering how long the 3650 has been out for, I think it's reasonable to expect that a new camera-phone would offer photo quality at least as good as that, if not better. I'm more interested in sharpness, color quality, black-level, etc., all of which can still be vastly improved while still only offering a resolution of 640x480.

2) I think the Treo 600 could very well appeal to the mass market consumer, but will not simply because of price. I disagree with anyone (and I'm not saying that anyone has in this thread) that says that soccer moms would be turned off by the thumbboard. My wife loves her Treo 300 and has no major problem with the lack of a traditional phone keypad. She recognizes the advantage of being able to type up notes at our church's worship service and being able to use it for many other purposes. What she would balk at, however, is the price.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nokia's 3650 is only lacking a thumbboard and stereo MP3 to make it appealing to many of the same customers of the Treo 600. The Nokia 3650 has been available for free (after rebates) for some time and adding stereo MP3 and a thumbboard would be fairly inexpensive. It's a matter of when, not if. Hopefull, for the sake of Treo fans, the merger with palmOne will result in more sensible pricing sooner rather than later.

For those of you paying full price now, take no offense please. You're an early adopter. I've been there. If the Treo meets your needs and you're willing to pay for it, great. I'm merely stating that the Treo 600 has the potential to attract a much larger userbase but its price is too prohibitive to do that.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    It seems u ppl that rave about the tungsten t3 didn't read the reviews. A review from brighthand states that the battery life on the t3 is about 3 hrs tops. Add the cdma radio and u prob won't get an hr of talk time.
    Originally posted by dulinor
    I agree that I'm disappointed with the screen as well, but I think the focus on the price is misguided. The phone is $600/$400 now but the price will plummet long before there's a major change in the form factor. Treo 270/300's have been available cheap for a while. In 6 months or so, so will these. There will be contract restrictions, but there always are with phones.
    Let me state that I think that a large part of the problem right now with pricing may be on Sprint's side. From what I'm hearing, the Treo in the UK through Orange can be had for free, though I don't fully understand how their contracts work, so I'm not sure if it's an apples-to-apples comparison. If you look on Sprint's site, you'll see that they recently launched several new PDA-phones, including the Samsung SPH-I500 at $600 and the Hitachi G1000 at $650. IMO, these phones are overpriced as well, and I have to wonder if the problem is that Sprint has decided not to subsidize these phones as much as they used to or as much as other carriers are. I'm interested to see what the GSM/GPRS version of the Treo 600 will sell for when it officially comes out for T-Mobile USA.

Regarding the price, we should clarify that the Treo 600 can be had for as low as $450 with a one-year contract right now (through treocentral). I think we should leave the $400 two-year contract price out of the discussion, as that's really not a recommended way to go, IMO. $450 is a downright bargain compared to the SPH-I500, IMO. It's still overpriced. But that may be more Sprint's fault than Handspring's.

Scott
    Originally posted by jngai
    It seems u ppl that rave about the tungsten t3 didn't read the reviews. A review from brighthand states that the battery life on the t3 is about 3 hrs tops. Add the cdma radio and u prob won't get an hr of talk time.
    I don't follow you. You can't add a CDMA radio. What you can do is add a Bluetooth phone, so you should be able to get 3 hours of web surfing on the TT3 and some additional battery time left on the phone for talking.

Scott
    Just a note regarding price...

The Treo 300 is still listed on Sprint's site for $399. Although that would almost doubtlessly be lessened by some discount, it's surely conceivable that some people exist that might end up, even today, paying that full price (or so Sprint hopes, at least).

On the other hand, I just confirmed through Sprint that, even though I'll pay $600 to Handspring for the a 600, I will receive the $150 discount by adding an additional line to my account, AS WELL AS another $100 for being a long-term customer in good standing. That brings the total for my Treo 600 purchase to $350! A certain amount of luck involved, to be sure, but I seriously doubt that the retail price of the Treo will ever fall below that.

Also, there is a lot of talk about positives and negatives to the phone itself...

Surely the keyboard will take getting used to for anyone that's not a child or Asian female, but virtually any new device has nuances to adjust to. If you feel you'll never properly be able to enjoy the phone because of that, by all means draw that conclusion, but I doubt anyone's first impression will be "Wow, how spacious!"

The screen resolution is something of a personal preference, but it couples with the camera "problem" to drive home my point of why you'd buy a Treo 600 in the first place. We all want the highest resolution screen and highest quality camera possible, but most people buying this phone hold neither as a priority (else they'd buy a Tungsten T3 and nice digital camera!).

I want a device like this to hold all my contacts, organize my appointments, AND be a phone as well. I want to be able to browse through a lengthy contact list (the only contact list I'll need to carry), find the person I'm searching for, and press Talk to call them. Simply being able to do that on one device is, to some, reason enough to buy such a phone. Ultimately, in my opinion, THAT'S who this is aimed at. The camera, multimedia capabilities, and small, tightly designed form factor are simply icing that make us choose this cake over another.
    Sephiro, I don't disagree with your overall point, but do disagree with the idea that a better quality camera isn't possible on such a convergence device. The technology is there and has been for some time.

Scott
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Perhaps not on topic but the promo for current Treo owners made me check the european site to see if i could find any info or pricing. Its probably true you can get it for free but you would have to pay vast amounts in monthly fees.

Handspring UK now list the phone on their website but the only princing ive seen is for an unlocked phone and for that they want $1060!!!!

I shure hope they get their act together and lower that price and give us european customers a similar promo discount for beeing and owner of a previous model.

/Andreas
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Maniac, don't you know that the Treo 600's camera is not intended for serious photo taking? It's for "fun" photos only.

Handspring is launching a new ad campaign called "What the heck is that?" They're going to take a bunch of photos with the Treo 600's camera, and whoever guesses what they're a picture of wins a Treo 600.

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit loopy today.

Scott
    Of course. I didn't buy the phone for the camera. I would have preferred it not be a part of the phone. I just think it (the camera) is a half-a$%ed implementation.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...Will the 600 have mass market appeal?, probably not....

Yup yup yup.

> ... read in a post on another thread that some Sprint rep sold
    > 5,600 Treo 600s in 2 hours. I strongly doubt if all the Sprint
    > reps combined have sold 5,600 since Monday...

There have now been numerous posts that STRONGLY imply Sprint took delivery of less than 3000 Treo 600s.

5600 sold by one CSR?

Hmmmm....
    Take SeldomVisitor's posts with a grain of salt -- he is a market speculator betting against Handspring. If you read through his past posts you will see a barrage of recent posts stating that the T600 launch would be significantly delayed, a prediction about which he was proved DEAD WRONG. He has swiftly moved on to attacking the T600 and Handspring on every other grounds he can troll up. I guess there's no limits to the desperation with which a market speculator will spread disinformation in an attempt to further their own financial benefit.
    Originally posted by markboy08

Take SeldomVisitor's posts with a grain of salt -- he is a market speculator betting against Handspring. If you read through his past posts you will see a barrage of recent posts stating that the T600 launch would be significantly delayed, a prediction about which he was proved DEAD WRONG. He has swiftly moved on to attacking the T600 and Handspring on every other grounds he can troll up. I guess there's no limits to the desperation with which a market speculator will spread disinformation in an attempt to further their own financial benefit.
    Okay dude we get your message! You don't need to put it in every thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by millerhifi

Okay dude we get your message! You don't need to put it in every thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I only responded to threads that were posted by SV today spewing negative information-- the fact that there are so many of those speaks to the issue.

And you don't need to put in 18 exclamation points to get across your message -- so what's your point?
    ....steady....
    Originally posted by markboy08

I only responded to threads that were posted by SV today spewing negative information-- the fact that there are so many of those speaks to the issue.

And you don't need to put in 18 exclamation points to get across your message -- so what's your point?
    Settle down partner. Every new post that I read since my last visit was simply yours repeated in each thread. Everyone will see your comment. It doesn't need to be put into each thread over and over again!

That's my point
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I don't follow you. You can't add a CDMA radio. What you can do is add a Bluetooth phone, so you should be able to get 3 hours of web surfing on the TT3 and some additional battery time left on the phone for talking.

Scott
    I basically meant what ppl said. They wanted to have high end features like a hi-res screen that the T3 have on the Treo 600. Basically asking HS to redesigned the Treo. My point is having T3 features on the Treo would certainly mean terrible battery life. And if someone tells me that battery life is not a concern to them, I have a Sidekick to sell you...

P.S. Anyone know of a BT phone that Sprint has? What happened to the Sony Ericsson T608i. I thought about the T3+BT phone combo, like many others, but can't find a BT Sprint fone.
    I AM GOING CRAZY! You people who want a nice camera buy one. Or better yet start up your own pda company, and design your own treo with a better camera. Beggers can't be choosers. This is the best convergence device on the market. Period. Again, to emphasize my point, if you want hi-res, 2 mp. camera, buy a sony NZ-90, for a small sum of 800.00$. Then we'll all laugh at you because, not only did you shell out 800$ for it, but you also have to carry it around (it is often reffered to as a "brick" as well as your bluetooth phone. Hay, you want that-go ahead. Nobody hear is stopping you. But if you want a small device that feels like a phone, and is the best converged device available, buy the Treo. It never promised to have all the features of a top class PDA.

Wheew-had to get that off my chest.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Originally posted by jngai
    P.S. Anyone know of a BT phone that Sprint has? What happened to the Sony Ericsson T608i. I thought about the T3+BT phone combo, like many others, but can't find a BT Sprint fone.
    It's still a no-show, unfortunately. Still rumored to be "coming soon" so there's still hope, though.

Scott
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast