Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Mine arrived about 2 this afternoon, and I've been eagerly going through all the goodies ever since. Everybody knows it's wonderful, so I won't gush. I've encountered a couple of problems (and solutions) so I'll focus on those:

    1) Took me most of the afternoon to get Vision service working. First Sprint rep screwed it up, and was told by the second that I'd have to wait 'til the next billing cycle (10/16!) to get back online. When I expressed dismay, she said she'd try to see if there was something that could be done to get me back online right away. Hung on hold for about 25 minutes, when she came back and offered to call me back once it was solved. No return call, but I saw about half an hour later that my account page at Sprint was now showing Vision capabilities. Still no access from the phone. Called in again, and was sent to a tech support person. He said he'd have to "re-provision" the phone, and that it would probably be working in about 4 hours. Tried web access again about half an hour later, and everything worked fine. Email, web, AIM, the whole deal.

    Tried to load a *really* big web page. Blazer complained that the page was too big to load, then the phone crashed, hard. Kept getting a cycle where the Palm logo would come up, the screen would go dark, Palm logo, dark screen..... Held down the power button and erased the memory, after which the phone started up with all the default stuff. Restored from the backup on my computer. Everything's cool, except network access isn't happening. Called up Sprint again, and landed in a different support group (apparently this one is specific to Treo; ph number is 866-206-4108). Second guy I talked to there led me through some arcane codes, which ultimately (after about 15 minutes) led to network access working again. All is well at the moment.

    2) Had a devil of a time getting the Palm desktop software loaded on my computer (Mac TiBook/800, OS X 10.2.8). Every time I tried to install, I got a message saying the installation didn't complete successfully, would I like to try again? I finally logged into the computer as root, and everything installed fine. Apparently the installer doesn't know to ask you for an admin password. After I got it installed, everything was hunky-dory. One caution -- if you install the Palm software *after* you install the iSync conduit, you need to go to /Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync/Conduits/ and move the Address Book, Calendar, and ToDo conduits out of there and into a /Disabled Conduits/ directory, else synchronization will fail.

    3) the slipcase that comes with the phone doesn't have a belt hook. It looks a lot like the holder that Apple ships with the latest generation iPods. Hmmm, I thought, wonder if the phone would fit? Turns out to be pretty snug, but it works (I'd advise locking the keypad before you put it in there). This is a good interim solution until the belt-clip holders start to ship (they're back-ordered at MobilePlanet).
  2. #2  
    over here in the UK the GSM version is free on a monthly tariff of over 50 pounds (75$) 1 year contract with the tariff only tied to that level for 4 months then you can drop it down to any tariff..
  3. #3  
    thanks for the heads up!
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by bullcreek


    3) the slipcase that comes with the phone doesn't have a belt hook. It looks a lot like the holder that Apple ships with the latest generation iPods. Hmmm, I thought, wonder if the phone would fit? Turns out to be pretty snug, but it works (I'd advise locking the keypad before you put it in there). This is a good interim solution until the belt-clip holders start to ship (they're back-ordered at MobilePlanet).
    So, just to confirm, you can't hook the case onto a belt? I just checked the pictures lastnight from the FCC manuals, and there was clearly a belt hook on it...
  5.    #5  
    Right, no belt hook. It's like a folded-over piece of padded nylon, open on the sides, except for rubberized inserts. There's a hole at the bottom to accomodate the charger and a headset.
  6. AJB
    AJB is offline
    AJB's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    #6  
    conflagrare wrote

    So, just to confirm, you can't hook the case onto a belt? I just checked the pictures lastnight from the FCC manuals, and there was clearly a belt hook on it...
    That's not the slip case that comes with the phone. That's an accessory you can pay for. The slip case has no belt hook / loop / fastener ...
  7. #7  
    > ...Tried to load a *really* big web page. Blazer complained that
    > the page was too big to load, then the phone crashed, hard...

    What you're saying is if one visits some random web site one's phone becomes unusable?

    Can you repeat it?

    Or post the web site URL so others can?

    I wonder if this problem is present with the GSM models (that have been rumored to have been recalled (at least in the UK)).
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/08/2003 at 06:03 AM.
  8. #8  
    Did you dare to try loading the really big page again?
  9. #9  
    Tried to load a *really* big web page.
    There are already a few "problems" threads?
    Can you post what the really big page was, or at least the size of it, so that others can try it out?
  10. #10  
    This is possibly of no interest, but certainly the GSM emulator seems to handle big web pages OK. You get a warning displayed stating the the page it too big, but it then continues to display what it has.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by skfny


    There are already a few "problems" threads?
    Can you post what the really big page was, or at least the size of it, so that others can try it out?
    Well, actually, no. It's a custom page I've got set up on my web server, lots of graphics. I think it's somewhere north of 300K.

    I'm having another problem now that prevents me from testing it. Blazer has gotten into a condition where, if I try to enter a URL via the keyboard, the phone does a soft reset. It works fine otherwise -- able to display the default home page, and I can follow links from there. Can also type into fields within a web page. But any attempt to enter an address on the keyboard causes the crash. If I wipe memory and go back to the shipping configuration, the problem doesn't occur.
  12. njchris's Avatar
    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    #12  
    Originally posted by bullcreek


    Well, actually, no. It's a custom page I've got set up on my web server, lots of graphics. I think it's somewhere north of 300K.

    I'm having another problem now that prevents me from testing it. Blazer has gotten into a condition where, if I try to enter a URL via the keyboard, the phone does a soft reset. It works fine otherwise -- able to display the default home page, and I can follow links from there. Can also type into fields within a web page. But any attempt to enter an address on the keyboard causes the crash. If I wipe memory and go back to the shipping configuration, the problem doesn't occur.
    If it works when you do the hard reset, then doesn't after you load your backup onto it, I'm assuming you have some software on it that may be conflicting. Are there any hack / OS hooks that you load? What software is on it that you installed?
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by njchris


    If it works when you do the hard reset, then doesn't after you load your backup onto it, I'm assuming you have some software on it that may be conflicting. Are there any hack / OS hooks that you load? What software is on it that you installed?
    Yeah, that was my asssumption too. I've more or less started over - trashed my backup, did a hard reset, and am now reinstalling stuff. So far so good.

Posting Permissions