Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Waiting anxiously for my new Treo600, I am revelling in its multiple uses in combining phone, palm, and internet into one device. However, I carry another device - my Olympus DS330 voice-recorder. I use my DS-VR to transcribe client case history notes and the digital voice files are then transposed to text using dragon Naturally Speaking software for the PC.

Does anyone know if there is a robust voice-recorder software utility that would effectively replace my DS-VR? I can visualize recording voice files onto the secure digital card on my Treo600, so long as there is a good software(with a 'pause' feature). Important features would include allowing me to record in .WAV format as either mono or stereo.

Anyone know of anything out there? The possibilities are enticing....

-Andrew
    As far as we can tell, the answer is no. We wanted to add voice memo support to the Treo600 in our DayNotez application, which already supports it on other devices such as the Tungstens, but this device doesn't seem to offer that. (We have been working w/ Handspring, and they offer no API to do voice recording, etc.) Very disappointing indeed.
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    (We have been working w/ Handspring, and they offer no API to do voice recording, etc.) Very disappointing indeed.
    I haven't tried yet, but doesn't this stuff work from the SDK?

Common/Libraries/HsSoundLib/HsSoundLibCommon.h
  4.    #4  
    No voice-recording at ALL?? That really stinkith. Geez...
    Originally posted by potatoho

I haven't tried yet, but doesn't this stuff work from the SDK?

Common/Libraries/HsSoundLib/HsSoundLibCommon.h
    I'll email you about this. Can't publicly post here.
    I was suprised that I'd heard nothing about the 600 having voice recording built in but I'd been hoping (almost assuming:-) that it was an app that could be added--as I'd been told that the Treo 270 wouldn't support voice recording because the OS wouldn't support it and I needed a palm with OS 5. How disappointing if OS 5 isn't enough and something prevents us from getting to the microphone input. (offhand I would think that would be the hardware problem). I too want to carry one less device around...

jim b
  7.    #7  
    This is an email I received from the folks at audacity. They make an awsome voice recorder for the Tungsten line which, by the way, uses Palm OS 5.x. Apparently, the Treo600 "no-voice recording" issue is not hardware, but software-related as you will learn (according to Audacity):

<<At the present time we are waiting for Handspring to fix a problem with their code. They have indicated that at some time in the future they will release new user upgradeable ROM code. Once they have done this we anticipate being able to have our application run on the Treo. We anticipate that this will occur before the end of the year.

Cappy Pitts <cappy@audiost.com> >>
    Thanks for the info. I had emailed them before I found this thread. So just when do we get the ROM update from HS? Will this actually happen or will it be like the TT ROM Update that took months to come out and was (it seem intentionally) delayed since REAL couldn't get their freebie spyware out in time.
    Here is the email from Audacity about their software. Seems teh ROM Update is sooner than we think. If they are correct about it being only weeks away it may be HS way of making sure we get it before the last hoorah as a seperate entitity.

Hello,

Thanks for your interest.

At the present time we are waiting for Handspring to fix a problem with their code. They have indicated that at some time in the future they will release new user upgradeable ROM code. Once they have done this we anticipate being able to have our application run on the Treo 600. We are expecting this to occur sometime in the next few weeks. We have added your e-mail address to our list of people who are interested in using our software with the Treo 600 and will notifiy you when it becomes available.
    Here's hoping HS fixes the Flash ROM upgrade before Oct. 29, the last day for the exisiting T600 upgrade deal.
    Here's hoping HS fixes the Flash ROM upgrade before Oct. 29, the last day for the exisiting T600 upgrade deal.
  12.    #12  
    Can anyone email handspring about the ROM upgrade? I am leaving town for a few.

Would love to get their take on it...
    Is the Treo 600 Rom truly flashable? Or will it require RAM space to support the upgrade (like the Visors did).
    Originally posted by KevMeister
    That date is only if you're upgrading to a Sprint Treo 600. The HS site for upgrading claims that they will offer 3 weeks for the upgrade offer for other carriers as well. So whenever those others come out, you'll have 3 weeks to take them up on it from that point.

Considering plenty of us would rather have a GSM phone, this is a welcome setup.
    Audacity Software emailed me again today and the other shoe dropped.

Hello,

I have just learned that Handspring might not have compatible code until next spring. Also, it is questionable as to whether or not an upgrade path will be made available to existing users. I have no information on any other potential changes to the ROM except that it should address the problem with recording software.

So I emailed Hand Spring this.

To Handspring Support:

I recently purchased the new Treo 600 and found it currently does not support a voice recorder option. I contacted Audacity Software regarding their application and was told that Handspring was aware that a ROM update was going to be needed for the Treo 600 in order to use any voice recorder applications.

The ROM update did not bother me as that is normal for a new release. However my second email response from Audacity Software indicates that the ROM update will be delayed until spring 2004 and that it was questionable as to whether or not an upgrade path will be made available to existing users. This concerned me as someone who purchased the latest high end Treo SmartPhone.

I know there are many other Treo 600 owners who are waiting to hear the answer to this question. Will there be a ROM Update for the Treo 600 and will it be made available to all Treo 600 owners. I hope the answer is yes to both, if not I would like confirmation of this prior to October 20th, 2004 so I can cancel my SprintPCS contract and return my Treo 600.

I look forward to their response.
  16.    #16  
    Me to. I will email HS as well.
  17.    #17  
    <<Gents,

I am purchasing a Treo 600, as millions of others will similiarly do, and I desperately wish to also use the device not just as a PIM, a phone, a Camera, a browser, but also a digital transcription device. I transcribe digital files each and every day in my line of work.

There is 3rd party software available that I could load (audacity, etc.). However, apparently the Treo 600 is not able to handle the capability for voice recording. I understand a simple ROM upgrade is all that is needed for this enhanced capability to be added.

There is much confusion out there about this issue. Its especially important to me, so I thought I would find out from you exactly what is going on with voice-recording, ROM upgrades, etc. for the Treo 600.

Can you please fill me in? Thanks!>>

I will await their reply. We should start a petition...
    I'd like to drop Handspring an e-mail as well asking for voice-recording support for existing 600s. But I can't seem to find their support e-mail address on their page! I've got all my cookies enabled, but keep going in circles. Can one of you guys tell me what the address was you sent your request to? A silly request to ask here, but I figure someone will know this one.

-B
    ---------------------------
    Brian Racherbaeumer
    RacherVision
    When I called HS sales to return the upgraded headset that I bought (doesn't fit well, its too big) I told them about the ROM update I had heard about. They said to email it to support@handspring.com. So I did. BUT I got an auto response and I will post it tonight when I get home. It said they would NOT respond to my email and I had to use their online forms.

Well you can't find them, and they actually want us to call SPCS for support, are they kidding. I like the device, but I have less than a week to decide if I am going to keep it.
    Originally posted by wcarlson40
    Is the Treo 600 Rom truly flashable? Or will it require RAM space to support the upgrade (like the Visors did).
    The OS upgrade files go on an SD card and then you run something and it burns it into the 600.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast