Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my phone when I got in from work today. Apparently Sprint sent it out overnight, although they told me 2-3 days. Obviously I was PLEASANTLY surprised when I got home.

Anyway... the phone is GREAT! I love the form factor. If you haven't seen one yet, it doesn't matter how many times someone praises the form factor until you have it in your hand. It feels so much more like a pocketable sturdy device than the 300.

Typing is going to take a little getting used to, but I don't think it's going to be a major issue. I had to get used to the 300 as well. The buttons are a little closer/smaller than I expected, but it's definitely forgivable to get such a nice small device.

The center pad is great!! I've only used the stylus a couple times, and that was just because I'm used to doing everything that way. One of my major complaints with the 300 was that there was no way to "Tab" from one field to another (like when you're entering a new contact), but that problem is completely solved here. Great Job, Handspring!!

I haven't been able to mess around with the applications too much, but the ones I have seen are really nice. I've already gotten the phone activated and have used the data services for a few minutes. I pulled up Treocentral and it was pretty quick bringing it up (with pictures and everything). I also noticed that it will allow you to choose between a condensed screen where is resizes everything (probably for more rapid download) or a full screen mode. Pretty cool...

The camera is about the only downside. It's not very crisp at all. In fact, it seems to discolor stuff quite a bit. I haven't tried e-mailing a picture yet, so it might just be the way the picture appears on the Treo. I'm not sure about that.

I heard that you get the Pocket Tunes software once you register with Handspring, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

I'll probably spend the rest of the evening reinstalling all my old apps to see which ones will need to be updated for OS 5. I'll check here periodically to answer any questions you guys might have. I know I had a lot (although I never needed to ask them because you guys always beat me to it...).

There's my initial impressions. I'll write more once I've gotten a better feel for the device overall.
    Thanks for the post.
    Roger
    The camera is about the only downside. It's not very crisp at all. In fact, it seems to discolor stuff quite a bit. I haven't tried e-mailing a picture yet, so it might just be the way the picture appears on the Treo. I'm not sure about that.
    Yes, it's the screen. I have e-mailed three or four pictures. They are pretty nice if taken in good light. Of course, the camera does not have a flash, so if light is not good, the picture will be grainy and probably blurry. With sunlight, the pictures look about as good as any other 640x480 pictures.
    Enjoy your new Treo!!
    just so you know - you can move from field to field in the Add Contact area by just mashing the scroll down button - that goes from Last Name to First Name, etc...
    (also - using the Arrow Up key along with scroll up/down keys gets you from field to field sometimes in Blazer - it always will work in getting you from linkl to link, just as with the jog wheel in Blazer...)
    If anyone would like to see first-hand what they look like, post your e-mail address and I'll send you a photo (unless I'm deluged with requests).
    prospects@mapilon.com
    ok for the pics

Thank you

Waiting for my Gsm Treo!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marc-Andre
    It's on the way. Note that the version that gets sent via e-mail is 239x180. I haven't synced yet so I can't actually send a 640x480 version. I just realized this.

The version that goes out by mail is presumably scaled down for filesize reasons, but a 640x480 version can be moved from the phone to the PC via sync.
    Heres my e-mail......... ken@fbcashland.com

Thanks

ken
    bakerman, sent. See note above re: 239x180 instead of 640x480
    Originally posted by brickjr
    I also noticed that it will allow you to choose between a condensed screen where is resizes everything (probably for more rapid download) or a full screen mode. Pretty cool...
    I would be interested to know if the Optimised mode in Blazer does actually result in less data being downloaded. It was my opinion that all it did was display everything as a narrow column to remove the need to keep scrolling left and right to find what you want, in which case there is no saving in the amount of data downloaded.

However, if it does download less, and given that, as far as I'm aware, Orange UK offer no unlimited GPRS usage, it would be useful to know this, as when I download more than my current limit, I will have to pay them even more money.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    How does the LED operate when you get a voicemail? Does it blink notifying you of a voicemail? Does the LED light up in different colors for voicemail versus text messages?
    Wombat ... rather than emailing pictures ... why don't you try TextAmerica??

http://www.textamerica.com/default.asp

I agree with Brickjr, the 600 is awesome!

The only issue I've had is the old Sprint BC Palm client doesn't work with the 600. I had BC working on my 300 and when I tried to use my old profile on the 600 it caused the new BC download button to cause the 600 to reset so be careful if you're currently using BC. There is a new app that says you can download BC but then the message says BC is not available yet for the 600. I hope they get BC to push messages to the 600 quickly.

One last thing you really can do everything on the 600 with one hand.
    Wombat ... rather than emailing pictures ... why don't you try TextAmerica??
    Okay. I normally would just post them on my Web server, but I screwed up apache after switching to suse from solaris ...

I'm setting up an account there now, and will post the 239x180 pics soon. Later tonight, I'll post some 640x480 pics after I get home and have time to sync and get stuff set up.
    One last thing you really can do everything on the 600 with one hand.
    Yes, so far. The five-way nav is awesome.
    Or phonebin.com
    http://wombat2.textamerica.com/

AGAIN, these are 239x180 versions (I think it artificially stretches them to 400x300 for the larger view). So, they show what quality you get when you e-mail the pics, not the camera's max quality when you sync the image to your PC and then send from the PC. I will post full 640x480 versions later tonight when I get a chance to sync the PDA (I haven't gone home yet). I included one shot in low light to give an idea how the camera struggles in that situation due to lack of flash. Overall, I'm impressed and think I'll use the camera a lot.
    Originally posted by wombat2
    http://wombat2.textamerica.com/

AGAIN, these are 239x180 versions (I think it artificially stretches them to 400x300 for the larger view). So, they show what quality you get when you e-mail the pics, not the camera's max quality when you sync the image to your PC and then send from the PC. I will post full 640x480 versions later tonight when I get a chance to sync the PDA (I haven't gone home yet). I included one shot in low light to give an idea how the camera struggles in that situation due to lack of flash. Overall, I'm impressed and think I'll use the camera a lot.
    So are you saying that you can NOT attach a 640x480 jpg, taken with the T600, to an email and email it to someone?

The only way to get that 640x480 jpg to somewhere is to sync?
    Hope I phrased it properly so you understand my question.

For example, I can take a 640x480 pic with my Nokia 3650, attach it to an email, and send that email from the phone to say my home email address.
    My overall first impression:

- quality, fit and finish

This is the highest-quality PDA or phone I have ever held, in terms of the impression you get looking at it and touching it.

It is heavy, but in a good way. For lack of a better way to put it, it feels expensive.

When I squeeze the phone from the sides, it does not creak or flex in the slightest.

It's hard to say how it will wear over time, but if you can keep the screen protected, I'd say it should hold up well.

- keyboard

My first impression was negative. It's so small and compressed that I feared I might not be able to do 15 wpm even after acclimating.

However, I think I'm actually already just about as fast as I was with the Treo 300, although I make slightly more typos. When I get used to it, I think it'll be just as satisfactory as the one on the Treo 300.

Keys feel very tight. I should note - they are EXTREMELY close together. When you look at this keyboard next to a Treo 300 keyboard, it's a huge difference.

If you have big fingers and you want to use it to type any serious amount of text, I'd recommend testing it out first.

- five-way navigation

I have used only the pre-installed software, so I can't guarantee that all software works with it. But, all software that I've tried works with it. You really can use the phone completely one-handed. I prefer to use both hands for typing, but, you COULD use just one hand even for that.

- reception

As noted elsewhere, reception seems equal to or perhaps better than the Treo 300. I can't compare directly since the Treo 300 became deactivated at the same time the 600 was activated. My gut feeling is that reception is a tad better, but I'm not positive.

- speaker volume, microphone, etc

These all seem good. The speakerphone speaker is on the back of the phone, which seems a bit odd. I guess that's just where it fit.

- how it looks while you're using it

Everyone who's seen it so far has oohed and aahed about it. It looks smart, stylish and expensive ... with little or no "nerd factor".

- little details

On the back: "Handspring", "Palm Powered", "Assembled in Mexico"

The side panel and the underlay where the buttons and five-way navigation are located are silver. The rest of the phone is dark gray. The portion around the screen is a bit lighter than the part around the keyboard, although still rather dark.

The antenna does not twist or pull off. However, there are small rubber plugs, presumably to allow servicing. Under the plugs are screws.

Chargers, sync cables and headsets are interchangeable between the 300 and 600.

The ear bulge looks kind of cool, I think.

The stylus is very average. Metal with black plastic. The plastic tip screws off and is used to reset the device.

Activation is "the easiest of any phone," the Sprint CSR gushed. It steps you right through the process, which is drop-dead simple. It took less than five minutes once I got through to the CSR, and the phone started working for voice instantly. Vision was working within a few extra minutes.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast