1.    #1  
    New to the boards and to the Treo community in general, I have really found this to be a helpful and generally friendly bunch of good people (massive uprisings to destory purplex and SeldomVisitor aside ), and I'm looking forward to storming my Sprint store for a T600 as soon as it's in.

Being used to other kinds of mobile phones, however, means I have also been accustom to the availability of replacement batteries. I currently use 2 standard batteries in succession on my Samsung A500, one on the charger and one in the phone.

My mobile phone is also my only telephone (no land-line here). As such, the prospect of unavoidable downtime with the 600, due to a single battery, is at first bothersome. I think it can be solved by keeping one of those external batteries I have read about always charged, which while not ideal will work.

My biggest concern, and my question to anyone that can offer insight, is what to do in the long term. When someone pays $599 for a combination mobile phone and do-it-all-amazing-PDA, I assume it's done with the plan to use it extensively and for at least a year or more.

Since most of you are more familiar with this situation, often as former Treo owners, I thought perhaps you could enlighten me. When the battery life on these locked units decreases, can a replacement be manually, if inconveniently, installed? Will your carrier or Handspring be willing to "repair" the unit with a battery upon request? Though I'm sure the companies would prefer it, is the only recourse to purchase a whole new phone??

I enjoy being a techie and early adopter of the latest gadget, but being forced into it by the manufacturer irks me something fierce.

Thanks,
    -Seph
    A couple options come to mind. First keep a charger cable or cradle at work, home and a charger cable in your car. There will also be (albeit ugly) extd. battery option too.
    The real question in my mind is what happens when the battery really craps out? When it just won't hold a charge any more. It's bound to happen eventually. And I don't really want to have to replace the whole device if that's the only thing wrong. I've been using my Palm III for five years; I wouldn't expect any rechargable battery to stay good for that long. Not that I expect to go without a phone upgrade for that long, but I don't really want to replace it in 9 months, either.
    A friend of mine and I went to the San Francisco Mission Possible launch and we asked Jeff Hawkins about this as I was leaving the party. Specifically, my friend was speculating that by not providing a removable battery, Handspring's secret plan was to force all T600 users to get a new phone after a few years.

His response was that it all came down to total battery life. By incorporating the battery into the phone, they could use a 1800mAh battery. If they went for a removable battery, they would have to use more packaging and provide possibly a 1000mAh battery at most. He also cited a study that Handspring did that showed that the majority of cell phone users used a second battery only to replace the small battery that came with the phone, so why not just give the biggest battery they could squeeze into the package right from the start?

When we asked about the overall lifetime of the battery, he didn't think it would be that big of a deal for the phone. He said that off the top of his head, a worst case scenario would be to lose 20% of the charge capacity after 3 years of extremely heavy use. He clarified that "heavy use" involved fully charging, then fully depleting the phone at least once every single day during that period.

So, while we won't really know what the overall battery lifetime will be for a long time, I felt pretty comfortable with his response. My guess is that in 3 years, I'll already be drooling over a different phone.
    I was on a webinar with Goodlink today and the HS product manager said they were creating a battery "sled" for the Treo600 which would extend the life of the original battery even further.

I vaguely recall something like this being mentioned for the Treo300 in the past but I don't think it ever materialized ?

For those of you that have the Treo 600, where did you buy it from ? Sprint, Handspring, what ?

Has anyone purchased one from http://www.treo600.net yet ?
    Handspring sent out a newsletter the other day showing an external battery sled for the Treo600. I don't remember the exact thread (actually I feel to lazy to link it here), but do a search for treo accessories and you'll find it...

Also, you can get really cheap battery extenders for the Treo on ebay that use AAA batteries. These work great and can fully charge your treo a couple times when a wall outlet isnt available... I got mine for like !@ bucks and it was well worth it IMO...much better deal than the sled...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by jloosli
    When we asked about the overall lifetime of the battery, [Jeff Hawkins] didn't think it would be that big of a deal for the phone [to have a non-customer-removable battery]. He said that off the top of his head, a worst case scenario would be to lose 20% of the charge capacity after 3 years of extremely heavy use. He clarified that "heavy use" involved fully charging, then fully depleting the phone at least once every single day during that period.

So, while we won't really know what the overall battery lifetime will be for a long time, I felt pretty comfortable with his response. My guess is that in 3 years, I'll already be drooling over a different phone.
    This directly contradicts the Treo 600 manual, which says battery life is best preserved by always keeping the battery "topped off" unlike NiCd batteries for which cycling the batteries prevents battery "memory" of a lesser charge. Li batteries always advertise they don't need cycling, though some of us have our suspicions. I can certainly attest that my Treo 300 battery completely expired just shy of its birthday after many a complete drain and recharge.

There was a previous very technical discussion about battery chemistry here somewhere. Any techno-geeks care to respond with reasonably to-the-point answer to settle the dispute?
    Originally posted by TreoTheo

This directly contradicts the Treo 600 manual, which says battery life is best preserved by always keeping the battery "topped off" unlike NiCd batteries for which cycling the batteries prevents battery "memory" of a lesser charge. Li batteries always advertise they don't need cycling, though some of us have our suspicions. I can certainly attest that my Treo 300 battery completely expired just shy of its birthday after many a complete drain and recharge.

There was a previous very technical discussion about battery chemistry here somewhere. Any techno-geeks care to respond with reasonably to-the-point answer to settle the dispute?
    He didn't suggest that you always completely deplete the battery as a way to preserve it. He called that heavy use. I read it as worst case scenario.
    Yes, I think you are correct--I misinterpreted the quote.

Do you agree that Li batteries should be topped off whenever possible to preserve long-term battery life--or just that they can be, without gradual degradation in total charge (battery memory)?
    Do a google search for "palm replacement batteries" and you'll find plenty of sites that provide new batteries for dead palms. It WILL require you to at least partially disassemble your phone, but by the time your Treo 600 battery dies, it should be readily available.

Off topic, but thank God davis is out on his ****. Go Arnold.
    Originally posted by TreoTheo
    Yes, I think you are correct--I misinterpreted the quote.

Do you agree that Li batteries should be topped off whenever possible to preserve long-term battery life--or just that they can be, without gradual degradation in total charge (battery memory)?
    You should always continously top off to a full charge an Li battery. The owners manual is absolutely correct. If you let an Li battery completely discharge and then fully charge it again you will kill its life span.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by millerhifi

You should always continously top off to a full charge an Li battery. The owners manual is absolutely correct. If you let an Li battery completely discharge and then fully charge it again you will kill its life span.
    Yeah-- like 11 months for a brand new Treo 300... ughh..

I'm a beliver now!

Thanks for the response.
  13.    #13  
    ardint,

Thanks so much for pointing me the various sites online to find replacement batteries (btw, including "treo" in the search also helped), but I was able to find plenty of replacements for just about every Treo except 600, which I assume will come with time.

For anyone else concerned with this battery life issue, this looks like it will solve at least that issue of helpless restriction by the manufacturer!

But when you really think about it, aren't we always in that boat from the start? Happy Treo Waiting!
    Originally posted by sharding
    The real question in my mind is what happens when the battery really craps out? When it just won't hold a charge any more. It's bound to happen eventually.
    My Treo 180 battery is wasted. It can barely hold a charged for one day with only minor use now. It is the last device I will EVER buy from Handspring (or anyone else) with an integrated battery, which says it all.

They are making them this way for one reason, and that is to force you to buy another one when your phone dies.

Considering how poor the 180's battery life was even when new, it really is shameful. If space is at such a premium, why don't they take out the useless camera feature and instead put in a removable battery?
  15.    #15  
    jchristopher,

Isn't this what you're looking for?

http://web1.applelaptopbattery.com/c...=HND14-0019-02

Don't look so glum! There is hope yet!
    Originally posted by millerhifi

Hmm I always heard its good to power cycle (completly drain and recharge) the battery sometimes.