1.    #1  
    Is it safe to just plug in the Treo 600 and sync with your existing profile that you were using with the Treo 300? Will unrelated files from the Treo 300 backup be installed on the 600 thereby causing problems?

thanks!
    I can't think of any files that would cause problems on the 600 that wouldn't cause problems on the 300 that would be part of the sync process ... you should be fine doing it that way. It's what I plan to do.
    Supposedly, the install process will remove apps that are known to not be OS5 compliant. But there may be others unknown misbehaving apps that slip by.
    Posted this on the other board (T300), but figured I'd ask here too:

Will a hard reset set the T300 back to it's original factory defaul settings? What about the network provisioning id and the like? I'd like to sell the T300 when the T600 gets to my house, but I'm concerned about sending any personal info that may be on my T300.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
    Matt
    Hacks could cause problems. Those should be uninstalled first.

Also, Treo Tools or related programs may also pose a conflict.

I've been doing a straight-sync (except for hacks) from my old unit to my new unit ever since the Palm V days, and I've never had problems with it.

I think I will just install program by program this time, just to get rid of the stray files on my Treo.
    someone on the snapper mail yahoo group that you should read the manual and mif you have backup buddy you should disable it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Fikse
    Is it safe to just plug in the Treo 600 and sync with your existing profile that you were using with the Treo 300? Will unrelated files from the Treo 300 backup be installed on the 600 thereby causing problems?

thanks!
    Simply restoring your old Treo300 profile to the Treo600 IS A BAD IDEA!!! I would seriously recommend against this b/c of the myriad of software incompatibilities that exist between OS 3.5 and OS 5.2.1H! If you want to avoid the havoc that some third party apps may cause (hacks, non-faithful apps, etc), I would suggest you follow the steps indicated in the link provided below. It is a much better idea to start off with an entirely new and fresh install, b/c there may tons of small left over apps, data, and junk in your old profile. The best course of action is to just transfer your PIM info and then re-install your 3rd party apps. You can even do this by keeping your old profile name by following the steps in the link below. (This is especially useful when you've registered various software to a profile) The article is from the Palm knowledge base of how to upgrade to the T|T from an older Palm, but the steps are also relavant to Treo300 users upgrading to the Treo600:

http://205.141.210.149/SRVS/CGI-BIN/...ase=obj(20508)

Supposedly, the install process will remove apps that are known to not be OS5 compliant. But there may be others unknown misbehaving apps that slip by.
    I do not believe anything like this exists...If you restore your old profile, it restore everything...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I do not believe anything like this exists...If you restore your old profile, it restore everything...
    Post from July 2003

Perhaps one of the VERRRY early adopters can confirm or deny.
    Originally posted by skfny

Post from July 2003

Perhaps one of the VERRRY early adopters can confirm or deny.
    Well, the list of what's "known" to be incompatible is defintely not complete to say the least! From my own experience upgrading to OS 5.x devices, relying on the hotsync is a very dicey proposition. I defintely recommmend a clean install as a described above...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions