1.    #1  
    I really can't stand POP3 email since I end up having to manage my inbox twice.

Anyone have positive experiences with a Palm OS email app using IMAP instead?

Anyone know of a program that lets you move messages from the inbox of one account to the subfolder of another account?
    - ag47
    try versamail (requires os 4.1) or eudora I believe also supports imap. if you need ssl I believe versamail 2.5 requires os 5.2.1 though I know there was an update for the tungsten w (versamail 2.6.x) which runs 4.x and supports ssl.
    a complete webbased and pda-optimized mail solution i can recommend is www.gopherking.com

supports all common mail formats, even S-POP, S-IMAP, etc..

markus
    VersaMail for IMAP is pretty robust in my experience. I like the interface and that there is a conduit (with direct sync with the IMAP server) as well as wireless sync; this means you only have to wirelessly sync messages that have appeared in your inbox since the last hotsync. Version 2.5.1 works fine on my os 5.0 TT.

On the downside, attachment support is primitive. Word documents are rendered as plain text and usually look a bit of a mess.
    Here's a list of some email clients that support IMAP:

Versamail 2.5
    Basejet
    2BA Mail
    iambic Mail
    Papi-Mail
    Gopher King
    Corsoft Aileron

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the great replies! Sounds like Versamail will be the ticket I start with.

Come on Treo 600!!

I've been waiting for a solid mobile email solution since the Omnisky days. Anyone remember them?
    - ag47
    Originally posted by agnok47
    I really can't stand POP3 email since I end up having to manage my inbox twice.

Why... I dont. I have my Treo set to download my messages. If I delete them on my Treo and empty the trash, the next connect deletes them via POP3. So when I download my POP3 box on my laptop, only the message I did not delete are there. No problem.
    Carl
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

Why... I dont. I have my Treo set to download my messages. If I delete them on my Treo and empty the trash, the next connect deletes them via POP3. So when I download my POP3 box on my laptop, only the message I did not delete are there. No problem.
    It's been years since I've used POP3. The double management of the inbox is kind of an exaggeration (kind of like "double" taxation).

I think what you describe only goes for the INBOX itself, so I misspoke. What I can do with IMAP is have the same "mail experience" on every client/computer. If I move a message from my INBOX to BUSINESS, this is reflected on the server.

You can't do that with POP3.

When I send a message, that message is copied to a server-side sentmail folder, not locally on the device.

Since I tend to access my email accounts from multiple devices and locations and even clients (Outlook, OE, Pine), I'd like my mobile email experience to fit in with this as much as possible.

With POP3, I would be limited to reading the messages in my actual INBOX and deleting those messages. If I want to do more (like access that important email I filed in the BUSINESS folder from my home PC yesterday), I'm screwed.

Another feature is that IMAP "flags" messages with your activity. If you reply to a message, it's marked as "replied." same with forwarded. These are important for me to track, and POP3 doesn't do that.

Here's a more thorough explanation I just found:
    http://www.imap.org/papers/imap.vs.pop.brief.html
    - ag47