1.    #1  
    I am confused- please advise.

1. SD stands for Secure Digital or San Disk?
    2. When will I be able to get a SD card to enable Bluetooth?
    3. When will I be able to get an SD card to enable Wi-Fi?

Thanks!

Greg
    SD stands for Secure Digital, not SanDisk. If you look at SanDisk, they actually make other types of memory as well, like Compact Flash, Smart Media. etc.

SD is also a bus format: a connector that allows data to flow back and forth. The basic SD implementation was designed, of course, for memory so that's what you get there. A variation is called SD-IO and allows other type of peripherals (Bluetooth card, WiFi card, GPS, Cameras, etc.) to be connected and recognized by the device, as long as there is a driver for them.

This is a *very* simplified view of things but I hope it helps.

Treo600 has a SDIO slot, allowing memory and/or peripheral cards.
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    As for the bluetooth and WiFi cards the Palm world is still waiting for one of these to be released for OS 5.x. Sandisk at one point said they would release a Wi-Fi card and a Wi-Fi/Memory card for the Palm. They have a Wi-Fi card out now for PPC/Windows Mobile 2003. I've heard of other companies talking about releasing Bluetooth cards but the cards are not out yet.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I was hoping to get a GPS but it just struck me that if i hook up a SD GPS i wont be able to store all the maps unless someone comes up with a SD GPS with a built in extra SD slot.
    Related newbie questions:

1. Can any SD memory card work in a Treo? I notice that Palm sells some that they claim are specific for their products - is that simply a sales gimmick, or is there something specific?

2. I'm looking for something to connect to my USB and will transfer data to an SD card, so I can upload files to my Treo at home, while my synch cable is at work. (I don't want to get into the aggravation of synching in both places). I assume that's doable - any products folks like that are relatively inexpensive?
    Originally posted by Bujin
    Related newbie questions:

1. Can any SD memory card work in a Treo? I notice that Palm sells some that they claim are specific for their products - is that simply a sales gimmick, or is there something specific?

2. I'm looking for something to connect to my USB and will transfer data to an SD card, so I can upload files to my Treo at home, while my synch cable is at work. (I don't want to get into the aggravation of synching in both places). I assume that's doable - any products folks like that are relatively inexpensive?
    1. As far as I am aware, any existing SD memory card will work. I don't know about the 1Gb ones which are just becoming available.

2. There are many readers/writers available. I have recently bought a Viking 6 in 1 reader from amazon for 18 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...110321-7136658), as I have other formats I want to read as well as SD. The US amazon website has these for about $25. There are single format ones available, but you'd have to decide what you wanted and look at prices.
    Originally posted by Andreas
    I was hoping to get a GPS but it just struck me that if i hook up a SD GPS i wont be able to store all the maps unless someone comes up with a SD GPS with a built in extra SD slot.
    Sprint is working on GPS without having to get a card using a combo of tower locaters and satellite, I think. Supposedly, the 600 with Sprint (from what I have heard) comes with this capability OOB, just waiting on the implementation of the system.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Originally posted by kmwmtd

2. There are many readers/writers available. I have recently bought a Viking 6 in 1 reader from amazon for 18 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...110321-7136658), as I have other formats I want to read as well as SD. The US amazon website has these for about $25. There are single format ones available, but you'd have to decide what you wanted and look at prices.
    So, the Treo + Sync cable will act as the reader/writer. Correct? The additional reader/writer would only be necessary if I wanted to add/remove content from the SD card at a computer different from where I sync. Right?

Sorry, just never used SD before.
    You can add software and files using sync. However, it's not a very intuitive method, in my opinion. And removing them is a hassle (which is partly a weakness of POS, in my opinion.)

A card reader will mount the SD card on your computer as if it's a Zip Disk or the like. You'll be able to do drag and drop add, remove, create folders, move stuff between folders, etc.

Also, you can probably move large files (e.g. mp3 files) MUCH faster with a card reader, if your computer supports either USB 2.0 or firewire. Those standards are 45 to 50 times faster than regular USB, which is what your sync cable is. This can make a big difference when filling a large card with mp3s. Minutes instead of hours.
    So, the Treo + Sync cable will act as the reader/writer. Correct? The additional reader/writer would only be necessary if I wanted to add/remove content from the SD card at a computer different from where I sync. Right?
    Its much faster to use a card reader then to install stuff via a sync. Some programs require a sync but for the most part you can put anything you want on the card and once you put it in the device it will work. You have have to move a program to internal memory before it will run. Quite a few older programs don't work when on an SD card or do not work well.

You should be able to use any SD card in the Treo. One of the Handspring people went out of their way to say they've tested up to 512 Mb versions at one of the Mission Possible events and that Sandisk cards worked in the Treo 600. It seems there have been problems with the just released Tungstens and some older devices where Sandisk SD memory cards did not work properly in the Palm device. I've only owned a Tungsten T and an m505 and haven't had problems in either.

Thats perfectly fine and you can do that with ease with an SD card reader.

If you have a USB 2.0 port I would wholeheartedly suggest getting a USB 2.0 card reader. They're significantly faster.
    Originally posted by Andreas
    I think any GPS SD would include some memory to store maps. GPS makers are aware that 90% of their stuff is just for hiking if you don't have maps to go with it.
    If you want something more portable than most reader/writers, I suggest the Sandisk Cruzer flash drive with removable SD. I got a 256mb one from buy.com when they had a sale (plus a $10 rebate) that brought it down to $64. It seems that both buy.com and amazon are out of it now, but here's a link to the 64mb version on another retailer:
    http://www.provantage.com/buy-7SNDK2...7-shopping.htm

It even comes with a little clip-on carrying case.
    I posted those links earlier in another thread but just in case... The Cruzer (64 and 256) are available at Ecost. 256 MB is $64.00 after mail-in and 64 MB is $48.00.

Links are:
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=445222

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=445224

Remember, this is only a USB 1.1 drive but it is really handy IMHO.

And FYI, if you just want a card reader, they have a 6 in 1 (reads CF, SD, MMC, SmartMedia, MemoryStick and Microdrive) for... $7.99 !!!
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=244960
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'