Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What do I need to look fgor when evaluating a "Surfing/emailing" plan?
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    T-Mobile calls theirs "T-Zones."
    GSM can never be equilivant to CDMA when it comes to wirefree web, CDMA will always be faster, and srint at that whose speeds are twice as fast as AT&T...so I don't know how you can possibly compare them...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  4.    #4  
    I've got a family plan w/ Cingular (Houston) anbd a ph w/ Sprint(Joplin, Mo for my WSD - wicked step daughter - who, btw is really cute, 21, blonde, shy, 4.0 in businesss and has NEVER had a date - in TULSA - she's short and likes boyish looks - like that dweeb- tom cruise - but i digress-

I can go with either one - and Cingular HOUSTON is just getting GSM - any thoughts?
    dont think sprints 600 would work with other carriers...A. it is branded and wouldn't look right B. I think they put a special chip in there. so i'd have to say sprint...but if you need a lot of customer service, anywhere but sprint would be good for you, phone maybe more expensive but the lower (regular) telephone bill.

T-zones isn't GPRS. Its something they sell that allows the more feature rich phones to do some things like download ring tones and play games.

For T-mobile its called (copied and pasted from their website):

T-Mobile Internet Unlimited - For integrated handheld users that want an all-in-one plan, T-Mobile Internet service can easily and cost-effectively be added to your T-Mobile calling plan.
    For GSM the data portion is called GPRS and its current iteration is slower then the CDMA data connections. The upside is that GSM phones allow you to do some things that CDMA phones don't and GSM is everywhere in the world where CDMA is mostly a US thing.
    yes but GSM is hard to find in the US...so i suggest getting a GSM pgone and putting in GSMx...wish it worked the other way around lol.

Then they've changed their terminology. It's all marketing anyway. When I first got GPRS service, they told me that I needed to add "T-Zones" to my service in order to get the web, email, etc. from my phone (ignoring the fact that I could send email via SMS for ages). So I called, asked them to enable my account for "T-Zones," they did, and it started working.

It doesn't really matter what you call it, though. It works the same from the user perspective.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    yes but GSM is hard to find in the US...
    It is? News to me. I've had a GSM phone for several years, have travelled around the country (and outside) with it and haven't had any coverage problems. Sure, coverage isn't as ubiquitous as AMPS, but it's not exactly "hard to find."
  10.    #10  
    Exactly, what do you mean by "putting in GSMx"?
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    yes but GSM is hard to find in the US...
    Yes in fact it is impossible, when your using a CDMA handset. But if are using a GSM handset you will pick up service all over. So to make unsubstatiated claims about GSM is retarded.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
  12.    #12  
    Does Sprint still offer an AYCE plan? I checked the site, and thought not - but am new...

I'm trying to decide between Sprint and CIngular - and it looks like Cingular's GPRS is MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. Is anyone else looking at these two?

I want to surf the web with WILD Abandon!
    Originally posted by Luzerman
    T-zones isn't GPRS. Its something they sell that allows the more feature rich phones to do some things like download ring tones and play games.
    T-Zones is GPRS. T-Zones service is mainly for WAP browsing on your phone and POP3 e-mail, as well as downloading ringtones and games; but this is all via GPRS. You can also have normal web access, but the rate per MB is pretty high. For lots of web browsing the Unlimited Internet plan is better.
    Arch, yeah Sprint for $15/mo will let you use thier Vision network as much as you please. You get about dial-up modem speeds or so on it, but very good for checking email and basic web browsing
  15.    #15  
    Don't know why it took me so long to compare the plans:

Sprint gave me Professional Vison FREE with a new activation

Cingular wanted $75 for unlimited web and $15 more for email..They are CRAZY and I've spent over $4K with them in the last 12 months.

I have one phone tied to Cingular - my personal ph - and it will sit on their 30 minute plan forwarded to my new Sprint T600 until the contract runs out.

Lookout Santa, MaMa's buying new CDMA phones for the entire family! (Actually, I'll probably get most of them near free when I activate the new lines after Nov 24th.)

Less money and the web goes faster? No brainer.

I can learn a new ph number
    Originally posted by sharding

It is? News to me. I've had a GSM phone for several years, have travelled around the country (and outside) with it and haven't had any coverage problems. Sure, coverage isn't as ubiquitous as AMPS, but it's not exactly "hard to find."

when i said hard to find i meant it the network was scarce in the US as opposed to europe and asia, sorry bout that

Originally posted by Architect
    I've got a family plan w/ Cingular (Houston) anbd a ph w/ Sprint(Joplin, Mo for my WSD - wicked step daughter - who, btw is really cute, 21, blonde, shy, 4.0 in businesss and has NEVER had a date - in TULSA - she's short and likes boyish looks - like that dweeb- tom cruise - but i digress-
    She's not going to be in Boston anytime is she?
    Originally posted by Architect
    Cingular wanted $75 for unlimited web and $15 more for email..They are CRAZY and I've spent over $4K with them in the last 12 months.

Less money and the web goes faster? No brainer.
    That's strange, I just visited the Cingular website and they have a 1MB GPRS data plan at $6.99/month. Isn't the Sprint equivalent at $15/month?

Looks like Cingular is cheaper for e-mail/web, no?....
    Not even guy.
    Currently Cingulars rates are very high and uncompetitive. I hear that they are about to release better data rate plans and MMS support.
    Sprint's $15 a mo is for unlimited data. There is no ceiling!
    Cingular's $6.99 a mo is only for 1mb. That can go very fast depending on what you upload and download. $54.99 will get you 40 mb as apposed to Sprint's still $15 even if you were @ 100mb for the month.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    "I've got a family plan w/ Cingular (Houston) anbd a ph w/ Sprint(Joplin, Mo for my WSD - wicked step daughter - who, btw is really cute, 21, blonde, shy, 4.0 in businesss and has NEVER had a date - in TULSA - she's short and likes boyish looks - like that dweeb- tom cruise - but i digress-"

Architect
    I live in Joplin MO and am trying to decide Sprint ( been with them for a year) or goto Cingular ( Just added GSM) If you go with Cingular in Houston let me know how it works. The signal in JOMO is workable with Sprint but I get no signal inside my business (of course its in a big tin can.. the local mall.) Cingular is strong here but I want to get a test phone if possible to see what the GSM does here. This is such a small market that I'm sure it wont be as good as in the Cities....Although with the dual band T600 Verizon is getting pretty big in this area so theres always roaming in the area if needed....lots to decide...does WSD attend MSSU?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast