Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    GSM can never be equilivant to CDMA when it comes to wirefree web, CDMA will always be faster, and srint at that whose speeds are twice as fast as AT&T...so I don't know how you can possibly compare them...
    I don't like CDMA any more. I've had it for about a year and I've noticed that it has some unacceptable quirks. I enjoy the overall better coverage I've received versus GSM in my area, but my opinion of the data services is that it is a gas guzzler.

The basic issue is that with CDMA you are very dependent on the tower quality in your area. Once I started getting network busy signals and connection problems, the battery performance dropped. It's to the point that on my Treo 300 I must charge it 3 times a day with minimal usage.

I know very little of the technology behind it, but these are my observations.. When the arrows are green it is using as much power as if it were in a phone call. Sounds ok, but notice that the minimum time for the green arrows is around 10 seconds. It adds up quickly during chat sessions since each little activity is 10 seconds of power. If you are chatting back and forth it can easily keep the arrows green for longer periods, and all the while sucking up power even if data isn't exchanging.

There are other gotchas, such as the time during a connection dialog is also full power. And each 0x1102 net error is costing you like 30 seconds of power as well. And the network search is pretty much like having a short circuit as far as battery drain. Just stupid things, such as Sprint having a funky DNS problem last month which added a considerable delay to connection attempts, was costing me tons of juice.

It wasn't this bad when I first got it, but nowadays there isn't a day in the week that I don't see a string of 0x1102 network busy errors, and my battery life just gets worse and worse. It's like clockwork too, just after 6PM == 0x1102 errors. I've had two 300's and they both seemed pretty much the same.
    Originally posted by potatoho

I don't like CDMA any more. I've had it for about a year and I've noticed that it has some unacceptable quirks. I enjoy the overall better coverage I've received versus GSM in my area, but my opinion of the data services is that it is a gas guzzler.

The basic issue is that with CDMA you are very dependent on the tower quality in your area. Once I started getting network busy signals and connection problems, the battery performance dropped. It's to the point that on my Treo 300 I must charge it 3 times a day with minimal usage.

I know very little of the technology behind it, but these are my observations.. When the arrows are green it is using as much power as if it were in a phone call. Sounds ok, but notice that the minimum time for the green arrows is around 10 seconds. It adds up quickly during chat sessions since each little activity is 10 seconds of power. If you are chatting back and forth it can easily keep the arrows green for longer periods, and all the while sucking up power even if data isn't exchanging.

There are other gotchas, such as the time during a connection dialog is also full power. And each 0x1102 net error is costing you like 30 seconds of power as well. And the network search is pretty much like having a short circuit as far as battery drain. Just stupid things, such as Sprint having a funky DNS problem last month which added a considerable delay to connection attempts, was costing me tons of juice.

It wasn't this bad when I first got it, but nowadays there isn't a day in the week that I don't see a string of 0x1102 network busy errors, and my battery life just gets worse and worse. It's like clockwork too, just after 6PM == 0x1102 errors. I've had two 300's and they both seemed pretty much the same.
    Where are you? I wonder how common these issues are.
    Originally posted by MHR
    Where are you? I wonder how common these issues are.
    Daytona Beach, FL. The network issues I imagine are caused by the crappy tower in my area -- it must need an upgrade or something, and it's also in a stupid location. As far as regular battery drain during data use, many people just don't notice it. It all depends on your usage pattern; CDMA appears to be good for bursty type of data, but poor for small chatty data over longer periods of time.
  4.    #24  
    Does anyone know? I'd really love to hear they are getting with a Sprint-vision equivilent
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    I've heard very recently that they are going to be introducing new rate/data plans that will be more competitive.
    When I hear more, I'll post.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12