1.    #1  
    Longtime Palm PDA user needs help rushing into TREO 600 land!
    I'm heavy into business development, have over 3000 business contacts on ACT!, heavy calendar user, light gamer, heavy web user, heavy emailer...
    WHAT DO I NEED?

Software? I'd like to drop ACT! and use Outlook since I heard the new ACT! sucks - anyone really use customer databases heavily?
    What do I need for email? Surfing? MP3's? Polyphonic ringtones? I'M STARTING FROM SCRATCH AND HAVE $$$$$'s to spend!

Cingular plans? Houston is switching from TDMA to GSM - any plan advice?

Thought we could use a break from this exhausting mental exercise of being masters of our own universe.

I WANT MY T600!
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    Originally posted by Architect
    I'm heavy into business development, have over 3000 business contacts on ACT!, heavy calendar user, light gamer, heavy web user, heavy emailer...
    WHAT DO I NEED?

Software? I'd like to drop ACT! and use Outlook since I heard the new ACT! sucks - anyone really use customer databases heavily?
    What do I need for email? Surfing? MP3's? Polyphonic ringtones? I'M STARTING FROM SCRATCH AND HAVE $$$$$'s to spend!

Cingular plans? Houston is switching from TDMA to GSM - any plan advice?

Thought we could use a break from this exhausting mental exercise of being masters of our own universe.

I WANT MY T600!
    Architect,

Currently, I use the latest version of act with 2500+ contacts in my database. Unfortunately, I can't see the purpose of doing an upgrade because I haven't found any meaningful additional features that warranted my $99 payment to get the latest, but it doesn't "suck" by any means. As for email, I personally like Iambic Office which includes email and allows you to open and attach MSOffice documents. For surfing, a browser is included and Handspring will include PocketTunes as a registration gift which is a nice player for MP3s. I know that TreoCentral will release a version of their ringtone manager shortly that is optimized for the T600 as well.

As for cell plans in Texas, couldn't help you there!

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Lee Ladisky
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Lee

I've always liked ACT! - even though I don't use its features to their potential. I saw on an ACT! board several comments flaming ACT 2004 and its interaction w/ Palm OS. If you say it is okay - I might spring for the whole enchilada - as my current ACT 2000 is from my office - and I want a personnal license.

On another subject - and since I'm agaog over the MANY TREO 600 features - What are you guys using to store/ manage / manipulate your digital images?

Oh yeah! And WHAT is a SD (a storage media???) and what should I get (I'm a packrat).

And, what do I store my MP3's on? The SD - or actually in the phone?

AAnd, is nuShield the best screen protector? I carry my stuff in a big purse (I'm a girl!) and need something to protect it from my nail files and .38 special!!!LOL
  4.    #4  
    Lee's got his baby - can you add anything?
    Get a couple of SD (Secure Digital) 256MB or 512MB cards - one to hold your mp3s, another for more mp3s and some pictures and to backup your phone data.

Not sure what the best PIM or contact manage will be for Treo 600.

I will try Agendus first, then Key Suite.
    Originally posted by Architect
    WHAT DO I NEED?

I WANT MY T600!
    I use ACT! 6 and have no problems. I have a customized version for my business and, although I can't use all the features on my 300, it works really well for me. I don't plan on upgrading, what I have now works great for me.

The 600 comes with Docs 2 Go Viewer which lets you view your Office documents, but not edit them. I have tried QuickOffice and my preference is for that. Mostly because you can edit Powerpoints on it. And with this device I may be able to reduce the time I have to lug around my laptop for presentations and seminars. It's the Pitch for Palm. It comes with a copy of OuickOffice and the price is $250.

I also use SnapperMail for my email work. It just seemed the easiest to use for me.

I have not changed browsers ... I just use Blazer. I surf, but not enough to change to another browser. That may change when I get the 600, I'm not sure.

You may need to get a few games to take up some time while you wait for appts, etc. I have backgammon and two really addictive games; The Prison and ASCave. All were free and available from freewarepalm.com. Great site to check things out. Just hope I can use them on my new 600.

Hope this helps ...
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I am a heavy ACT user also.

My database is over +3000 names and number is use for mailing lists for showings and vendors and contractors and of course friends.

I have problems getting updates for my version of ACT 2000!. I never upgraded to ACT 6 because I didnt see the advantage. Is there any?

And although the conduit is ok...I do loose information and used to get a lot of repeated entries.

When I got my home laptop....in addition to my office machine...I had trouble syncing between all three devices. I even tried the emailed update feature and couldnt get it to work. Most features work. I understand that the telephony doesnt work at all. So I bought datebook5 and link into that from ACT.

It work alright but I am not carrying all the info I have on ACT.

Maybe I will swith to OUTLOOK but it looks weak compared to ACT. Is it?

I am rather good at these things.

I would like to know that ACT 6 and the ACT palm database addition is worth the expense.

The Treo 600 will have enough room for all these programs.