1.    #1  
    For those of us on Verizon Wireless wanting to use a Treo 600 without switching carriers it sounds like there are three options:

1. Wait 6 months for Verizon to wake up and begin offering the Treo 600. (This will likely require their usual idiotic extensive test periods for new phones on the Verizon network. Remeber the Kyocera 7135 and Alltel?)

2. Buy one from Sprint now and wait for LNP to start 11/24/03 and then switch to Verizon. A few problems:

a) Although the Treo 600 for Sprint is CDMA no one has a reliable answer on if EVERY feature will work on Verizon. At the Boston Launch event 3 different Handspring people told me it will NOT work at all based on the software

b) I would loose my existing Verizon number or at least have to use the original Sprint issued phone #.

3. Buy one from Sprint now and somehow get the MSL and the procedure for unlocking the Treo 600. Take the unlocked phone to Verizon and activate with my Verizon phone #

IMHO Verizon has the best network nationwide and while it may suck in your town over all for someone who travels alot in the US it is hands down the best network.

Anyone else have any other ideas besides staying with Sprint?
    I have the same dilemma. I am currently with Verizon and do not want to switch to Sprint, but definitely want the 600.

Hopefully, there will be a way around this.

If anyone has any luck in the near future successfully activating an unlocked CDMA T600 on Verizon, please keep us posted.
    Originally posted by Jay21
    I have the same dilemma. I am currently with Verizon and do not want to switch to Sprint, but definitely want the 600.

Hopefully, there will be a way around this.

If anyone has any luck in the near future successfully activating an unlocked CDMA T600 on Verizon, please keep us posted.
    I currently keep a line with Verizon (my primary phone) and a Treo 300 with Sprint (my data device mostly). First let me say that Sprint is not nearly as bad as I thought it was (the last time I tried their service was in 1997 when they were first coming online). Having said that, it is still far from the quality of Verizon's network.

But, with the new $5 to roam up to 50% of your minutes each month (formerly known as Free and Clear America Plans) one has to wonder why you need Verizon at all. My intent is to wait until Thanksgiving and cancel my current Sprint service (if the new plans at that point are as competitive as all the analysts seem to think they will be). I'll get a Treo 600 from Amazon or whomever offers the best rebate combo and try it out for the 14 day trial with the 50% roaming deal. If it works, I'll cancel my Verizon line and have my number switched over.

I am a heavy user during the work week, frequently taking multi-hour conference calls from the car and the train in southern california. I frequently use my Treo for the longer conference calls (I have the number blocked and don't give it out to anyone so I still receive all calls on my trusty Verizon Startac) just to burn the 300 minutes that come with my plan (which is only $32/month with my 20% corporate discount - that's $8/month cheaper than what I was paying for Omnisky/Earthlink Wireless with an old Palm Vx). Anyhow, the Sprint service has been very reliable outdoors (outside of a building). Since the length of my cell calls outdoors is far greater than the length of my calls in doors ("Hi, let me call you back from a landline...") then I figure the roam feature will be sufficient to allow me to still receive calls in doors (since 800mhz signals propogate better through buildings than 1900mhz does).

I've been thinking about this for a while and would really like someone to point out any flaws in my logic (save me from making a bad decision).

Regards...
    Well I have been a VzW customer since '95 and while I love their network I have been ready for a real data centric device and they take too long to release the best phones in a timely fashion.

Now with roaming you can really get pretty much the same network coverage as VzW on Sprint. I am willing to give it a shot and see where it takes me.

It seems that even if you can get the phone code to transfer it appears their software will not work on VzW's system. So the only way to get this to work is for HS to release a phone that is CDMA generic.

Also there appears to be speculation that the data side of the phone is not supported on VzW but I don't understand that part.