1.    #1  
    Just so I understand all this...yes or no answers would probably suffice. Let's assume that I cannot have my computer on and on the network at all times.

1 - Employer does not support either Treo nor Blackberry. I can use existing email on board the Treo to fetch my email, but it will not be instant. Yes? No?

2 - If I convince my employer to buy Good or similar software, I will have Outlook-like functionality on the Treo, including instant email. Yes? No?

3 - Employer only supports Blackberry, and will not support Treo. I can still fetch my email through existing software on the Treo? Yes? No?

1. yes. if you have access to mail via pop 3.
    2. that is my understanding.
    3. yes. if you have access to mail via pop 3.

third party software will do imap if you need that.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Boy, I'm really a newbie at all this...

POP3? Meaning I can access via a web browser? I can access my corporate email via Netscape. Is this sufficient?

I know a lot more about guitars than I do computers and phones...
    If your employer doesn't provide POP3 access and they don't install Good, you may also be able to get in via a VPN connection. Mergic VPN might be able to help you to access your email, along with an IMAP connection. PM me if you have questions.
    Originally posted by Guitar Dad

POP3? Meaning I can access via a web browser? I can access my corporate email via Netscape. Is this sufficient?

POP = Post Office Protocol, and is probably the main mechanism for e-mail applications contacting mail servers - POP mail servers, that is. You don't need a web browser to use POP, but you do need an e-mail client which understands POP, and an internet connection.
    Originally posted by Guitar Dad

since you use netscape, i'm almost positive that you will be able to check for email with your treo.

Felipe
    Originally posted by Felipe

since you use netscape, i'm almost positive that you will be able to check for email with your treo.

Felipe, most likely he is using SSL protocol to access his corporate mail through Netscape, since Netscape invented SSL. It remains to be seen whether Blazer 3.0 will allow Outlook Web Access for those of us who need this functionality.
    okay, when he said netscape, i assumed that he meant netscape mail not the browser. And therefore was using pop3.

so, it if is the browser he is reading his email with then, he might not be able to read the mail with blazer3.

sorry for confusion.
    Felipe
    What about treomail? My employer does not offer POP3 and that's what I use.

http://www.handspring.com/services/treomail/index.jhtml

EDIT
    By the way, you'd want TreoMail Corporate and not TreoMail Internet.
    Last edited by rwilson290; 10/07/2003 at 01:30 AM.
    Originally posted by robcorn

Felipe, most likely he is using SSL protocol to access his corporate mail through Netscape, since Netscape invented SSL. It remains to be seen whether Blazer 3.0 will allow Outlook Web Access for those of us who need this functionality.
    at least in the treo 600 sprint sim from the HS developer site, Outlook Web Access does work, albeit with some really messed up frame sizes. (the corp I work for has Exchange and OWA so I gave it a try)

Was able to send and read email.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    okay, when he said netscape, i assumed that he meant netscape mail not the browser. And therefore was using pop3.

so, it if is the browser he is reading his email with then, he might not be able to read the mail with blazer3.

sorry for confusion.
    My bad. I should have been clearer. I use Netscape browser to check my corporate email from the road, and use MS Outlook internally.
    1. If you have a POP3 connection to your mail (eg can download it into Outlook not connecting as an Exchange client remotely) then absolutely it will work.

2. If you have an alternative connection such as IMAP, there is 3rd party software that you can get to speak this protocol.

3. If you use Netscape, you probably do not use Outlook Web Access (where the web site you go to looks like outlook but through a web browser). OWA uses lots of Javascript and ActiveX that I do not believe Netscape supports.

4. If this is the case (I am guessing it is) you should have no problem going to the web site through Blazer 3. B3 supports full SSL, Javascript etc. and as reported above, does work with OWA. Frame sizes are an issue (it doesn't look very pretty) but it does work.

Hope this helps -- best advice I can give the original poster is to ask your company whether they allow for POP3 or IMAP access -- this will give you the best experience in retrieving your mail from the T600...
    If you access OWA from a non IE browser (Netscape, Mozilla) it gives a stripped down version that should work anywhere. (except lynx I guess)
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
  14.    #14  
    Thank you very much for all of the replies. I've sent this thread along to our IT person, who is checking into all this. Apparently, others within my small firm have made similar inquiries.
    Originally posted by scoopman
    1. If you have a POP3 connection to your mail (eg can download it into Outlook not connecting as an Exchange client remotely) then absolutely it will work.
    I can't seem to find the setup info for POP email in my 600. Any thoughts on where the application and server setup info is?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by satyric
    I can't seem to find the setup info for POP email in my 600. Any thoughts on where the application and server setup info is?
    Thanks.
    You can use Sprint's Business Connect (Use the "Get BC" shortcut from "Menu") or download/purchase one of the many mail applications for the Palm such as Snappermail, Basejet, Aileron, etc.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org